Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ssissippi-flag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
If enough people in MS want that flag to change, the state will change it.

What good is a state flag, anyway, if so many places refuse to fly it?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

And yet many places in the state still do. And there is still widespread majority support from it aside from the places where leftists, SJWS on campuses and/or economic browbeating has brought it down.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

I believe it has already been voted on and that why it is still flying.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I believe it has already been voted on and that why it is still flying.

And that is how you do it.

It's an issue for the people of that state--not just one person who's offended.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I believe The South will seceed before the State of Mississippi removes the Confederate Flag portion of their state flag. Mississippi is not the kind of state that can be bullied or bribed or threatened by boycotts to change their flag to something that is more tasteful and less offensive to outsiders and special interest groups.

As one late-middle-aged, over-weight lady from Mississippi brimming with self-confidence, once told me oh so boldly and so proudly, "We're Southern, we're Christian, we're conservative, we're Republican, we're Mississippi".

Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I believe The South will seceed before the State of Mississippi removes the Confederate Flag portion of their state flag. Mississippi is not the kind of state that can be bullied or bribed or threatened by boycotts to change their flag to something that is more tasteful and less offensive to outsiders and special interest groups.

As one late-middle-aged, over-weight lady from Mississippi brimming with self-confidence, once told me oh so boldly and so proudly, "We're Southern, we're Christian, we're conservative, we're Republican, we're Mississippi".
Well that is true since MS is the poorest state in the nation so there is no incentive to economically bully it into changing its flag.
Continue to wallow in stubborn pride & poverty.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:55 AM

799 posts, read 1,065,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well that is true since MS is the poorest state in the nation so there is no incentive to economically bully it into changing its flag.
Continue to wallow in stubborn pride & poverty.
I'm a proponent of changing the flag but doesn't really affect the state's poverty problem.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,894,636 times
The vote would likely be a little closer now than it was then, but it would still get voted down.

I'd like to see it changed too, not solely because it is offensive, but also because it is drab. I'd like to see something creative and unique, like SC. The last time we voted, the proposed flag was even worse than what we have now, a blind man could have seen that was going to fail. If we voted between the Magnolia Flag and what we have now, it may be close, but the Magnolia Flag was the state flag during the war, so it may offensive also?

My white ancestors have been in the 'Sip since before the war (yes that war), so if I can get past changing it most should be able.

Changing the flag would have very little effect on the state's economy.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM

459 posts, read 475,207 times
I don't understand, if he doesn't like it why not move somewhere else? Only about 6 million blacks moved out of the south up north even before World War I. I understand his point of view, but at 2017 if it hasn't changed yet, it's probably not going to happen. Don't want him to give up hope, but being realistic here. The supreme court has bigger fish to fry than a flag issue. Obviously, a majority of the people who vote in Mississippi still want the confederate flag as a state flag, or it would be gone. That being the case, I encourage Carlos Moore to try one of our other states not in the south. I think he would like it a lot better. Seems to me to be a lost cause and a waste of time fighting a flag the people want as a state flag and have voted to keep in place in years past. I don't support the confederate flag either, but I don't like fighting losing battles either; however, the south is familiar with that, such as the civil war they lost. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: