Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My wife and I are considering crossing MS on our trip west next year. I have always said I would never enter the state of MS. My angst is running across a few supremists or other power tripping crowds. Here in NC, the town I first moved to had posted a giant billboard sign at the city limits that read WELCOME TO KLAN COUNTRY and pictured a hood and the stars and bars crossed with the American flag. That was just about 5 years ago...
Ye Gads! There is nothing like that anywhere in Ms I have been and I have
been just about everywhere. Misissippi seems to me to be quite calm and relaxed these days and I doubt you would notice anything that would rekindle the fears of those days of woe once experienced here. Come on through and see for yourself and then please come back and post what your impressions were.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM

76 posts, read 110,292 times
Quote:
My wife and I are considering crossing MS on our trip west next year. I have always said I would never enter the state of MS. My angst is running across a few supremacist or other power tripping crowds. Here in NC, the town I first moved to had posted a giant billboard sign at the city limits that read WELCOME TO KLAN COUNTRY and pictured a hood and the stars and bars crossed with the American flag. That was just about 5 years ago...
hmmm...and you don't want to enter MS...coming from NC? My guess is that your a racist yourself.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
My wife and I are considering crossing MS on our trip west next year. I have always said I would never enter the state of MS. My angst is running across a few supremists or other power tripping crowds. Here in NC, the town I first moved to had posted a giant billboard sign at the city limits that read WELCOME TO KLAN COUNTRY and pictured a hood and the stars and bars crossed with the American flag. That was just about 5 years ago...
So you'll agree to move to an area that has that, yet you maintain some silly policy about never entering Mississippi based on something you probably saw in a movie?
That's as small-minded as any other "-ism."

Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quote:
This seemed a bit extreme, even for the south, so I did a little research. I found one reference to a sign like that in Smithfield, NC. I know that Wikipedia isn't the most accurate source of information, but according to the page for the film Brotherhood of Death (filmed in 1976) that particular sign was torn down in the late 1970's. I found other articles and posts about the sign, but nothing that would imply the sign existed more recently than 1978, nor the presence of any other more recent billboard. I haven't personally been there and don't know if a sign still exists there or not, but I couldn't find any news report of a new one being put up and I'm sure it would have made the national news. A LOT has changed in the past 30+ years, even in the south.

My earlier post that racism still exists in Mississippi still stands, but it's no different than the racism you'll find anywhere else in the United States (or the rest of the world). You won't find lynch mobs, or white-only stores, or hear about a black man getting shot for talking to a white woman. Your chances of being pulled over by a police officer because of your race are no higher here than anywhere else. A black person can drive in Mississippi without any more fear (probably LESS fear) than if you're driving across North Dakota, or Connecticut, or New Hampshire.

Actually, in my opinion, the biggest source of racism today in the south has shifted from white-black to white-tan (Mexican), mostly fueled by the mistaken belief that illegal immigrants are stealing everyone's jobs.

[Edit:
Correction: You WILL find white-only bars or night clubs, and you'll also find black-only bars and nightclubs. There might even be a few single race country stores scattered here or there, but if you just buy what you need and keep on going there won't be a problem. You would probably only go to these places if you were lost or a local, and locals would know which places to avoid. Most places like this would be way out in rural areas and usually located well off major highways.]

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 03-20-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 AM

247 posts, read 498,608 times
Quote:

Oh my goodness....How was that even legal??

Old 03-20-2011, 02:00 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
[Edit:
Correction: You WILL find white-only bars or night clubs, and you'll also find black-only bars and nightclubs. There might even be a few single race country stores scattered here or there, but if you just buy what you need and keep on going there won't be a problem. You would probably only go to these places if you were lost or a local, and locals would know which places to avoid. Most places like this would be way out in rural areas and usually located well off major highways.]
Okay. I was told that the rural parts of Mississippi still has some racial "tension" and apparently it does.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
No. Mississippi has the highest African American population, yet we all seem to get along quite well. Maybe that high African American population contributes to our race relations, as we have learned to interact with each other well.

You DO occasionally run across the open racist, but it is very, very uncommon. No more frequent than other states I have been to.
No MS does not, it has the highest per capita. In fact metro Atlanta has more blacks that the entire population of MS.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
No MS does not, it has the highest per capita. In fact metro Atlanta has more blacks that the entire population of MS.
Ya, I know. I was in a hurry and misspoke. My point remains that MS has a high percentage of black people and we get along well for the most part.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM

63 posts, read 223,324 times
I am so sick of hearing this question. Step out of the Mississippi you see in old movies and in the media. I've lived in three places and Mississippi is the LEAST racist place I've ever lived. And I've spent the last 5 years up north. Visit the state and see for yourself. Mississippi is the hospitality state and it has that name for a reason.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkatme View Post
I am so sick of hearing this question. Step out of the Mississippi you see in old movies and in the media. I've lived in three places and Mississippi is the LEAST racist place I've ever lived. And I've spent the last 5 years up north. Visit the state and see for yourself. Mississippi is the hospitality state and it has that name for a reason.
I agree to some extent, but you cannot deny history...The North or Nawth is extremely racist and really always was,,,especially against European immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi