Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 AM

129 posts, read 361,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRobinX View Post
The problem is, all women who aren't black, especially white women, are being bombarded with brainwashing from the media to be with black "men". And you see white men being portrayed as weak and lame. I'm tired of this bs and women are falling for this left and right. And I'm not even white, just a realist. Nevermind the amount of white women being killed or raped by black men...let's keep allowing the media (or maybe a bigger force behind all this) to guide sheep to the slaughter.
While generalizations are never good, they are just that, general. They do not refer to every person in the referenced group. However, stereotypes exist for a reason. While I may not agree with everything you typed above, I applaud your bravery.

We in America are not permitted to really discuss/debate problems between races, because at some point someone will be called a racist. I think things were getting better from many years, but in my opinion, the past few years and currently the tension is getting worse. What Robin states above about the media/pop culture seems somewhat true. If you see commercials on TV that involve couples, you will most likely now see a black man with a light-skinned woman. The one exception to the growing hostility between races seems to be the amount of white girls having sexual relations or even babies with black men. Perhaps this is due to pop culture showing it so often??? I don't know. I have a few other theories also, but I'll keep them to myself for now.

I certainly don't think mixed marriages should be illegal, but I think girls should make more careful decisions, not only with men of another race, but with men of their own race as well.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for writing this, but I think some people can't be open or honest about the real world. In the real world, actions have consequences, and they should be considered before rushing into things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I just had to do the math. 400 out of 3 mil is 0.013% of the state's population. How can anyone take that seriously?

Also, it looks like this absurd post has attracted a troll or two.

If there are people on CD who legitimately believe that races shouldn't mix, I'd love to hear a scientific or philosophical argument supporting their position. The previous argument in this thread opposing interracial relationships is ludicrous and contains no studies, facts, or statistics (no matter how lame).

Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM

129 posts, read 361,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I just had to do the math. 400 out of 3 mil is 0.013% of the state's population. How can anyone take that seriously?

Also, it looks like this absurd post has attracted a troll or two.

If there are people on CD who legitimately believe that races shouldn't mix, I'd love to hear a scientific or philosophical argument supporting their position. The previous argument in this thread opposing interracial relationships is ludicrous and contains no studies, facts, or statistics (no matter how lame).
If the population of MS is 3 million, how many are Republicans, which is what the OP actually states?

The previous post contains no studies or statistics because it is OPINION. Plus it does not once mention anywhere that races should not mix. In fact, I stated careful consideration should be made between same race and mixed race sexual relations. But thanks for proving my point about how a civilized debate cannot be had without someone starting some name-calling.

I also think the original study quoted is contrived, and only meant to bash Mississippi, a place that I hold in high regard.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
If the population of MS is 3 million, how many are Republicans, which is what the OP actually states?

The previous post contains no studies or statistics because it is OPINION. Plus it does not once mention anywhere that races should not mix. In fact, I stated careful consideration should be made between same race and mixed race sexual relations. But thanks for proving my point about how a civilized debate cannot be had without someone starting some name-calling.

I also think the original study quoted is contrived, and only meant to bash Mississippi, a place that I hold in high regard.
Not that it changes much, but according to the US Elections Project, approximately 2.1 mil Mississippians were eligible to vote in the 2008 general elections. According to How Mississippi Voted | Print View (http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/index.php/print_view/25999 - broken link), 57% of the 2008 presidential voters went for McCain. Now, I realize not all eligible voters vote, but I couldn't find exactly how many voters in MS are registered Republican. If you or anyone else can find that data, I'd be happy to see the numbers. Using the above numbers (which I know are flawed), 1,197,000 eligible Mississippians are Republicans. Four hundred out of 1,197,000 is still only 0.033%. It's still not considered thorough or wide ranging.

To which "previous post" are you referring? Did I call you a name? A troll is someone who posts outrageous things just to irritate or inflame. I was referring to the poster with 13 reps who has never posted in any other MS thread.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
I'm sorry, but XRobinX's comment was utterly ridiculous although I have no choice but to respect his/her opinion since he/she is entitled to it. Frankly, opinion or not, it was pure bull**** and stereotypical. As far as popular media playing down white males to Black males, I must be seriously missing something. Most black roles on television and film still usually follow unfounded stereotypes and cliches. Also since some of you have an issue with Black males being portrayed with white women or white women being portrayed with various ethnicities of men, I'm forming the assumpton that the "white woman" is supposedly a "trophy" of some sort that most be protected. Finally, both women and men should be cautious of who they date and have sex with point blank. Race and/or ethnicity should not even be a primary factor in that decision.

As far as this topic is concern. I don't see this poll bashing Mississippi at all. The only way it can be contrived that way is from people who clearly didn't read the article taking it and running with it, or others who manipulated the context of it because they anticipated that people wouldn't read it and would run with it. Mississippi is a rural majority GOP state with it's fair share of racial issues to go around. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying. They may not be prevelant to you if you live there or live somewhere with bigger issues, but Mississippi has it's share of social issues just like anywhere else.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 04-15-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM

WestbankNOLA, who are you addressing? The OP?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
WestbankNOLA, who are you addressing? The OP?
The last couple of replies in this thread. It's mainly in response to XRobinX and dailysounds, but it's my general opinion and not necessarily targeted at any one person.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Ok, well, I have to assume, since it wasn't explicitly stated, that you're including me in your response so I'll just say that I agree with you.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Ok, well, I have to assume, since it wasn't explicitly stated, that you're including me in your response so I'll just say that I agree with you.
Sorry if I caused any confusion. I didn't want to quote any one person since I wanted my post to be more on the general side. I quoted a post on the Louisiana forum and that poster felt that my entire post was directed toward them and got upset.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 PM

We are cool, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi