Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 24,621 times

Advertisements

Yikes, I am so glad I don't live anywhere near your state!

Republicans in Mississippi think interracial marriage should be made illegal, according to poll | Mail Online

Last edited by Notorious LA; 04-10-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
That percentage is probably similar for other heavily right leaning states too.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I'm a registered Republican, and I've dated black and Asian women before. And this statistic is meaningless if it's not broken down by age or socioeconomic status.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious LA View Post
"PPP, a Democrat-affiliated polling firm based in Raleigh, North Carolina, said it 'surveyed 400 usual Mississippi Republican primary voters from March 24 to 27'."
Read more: Republicans in Mississippi think interracial marriage should be made illegal, according to poll | Mail Online

Hold on a minute, a survey by DEMOCRATS that are not even in Mississippi (but in the ever so Blue-ing North Carolina) surveyed 400 people in a state of 3 million (that does consistently vote Republican) in a span of 3 days. How exactly, friend, is 400 people representing a whole state of 3 million without painting a broad brush not make it obvious that it's a group with an agenda?

This group's agenda is pretty much to smear Conservatives in Mississippi, for the reader's sake, this "study" is garbage.

And OP, have you ever been to Mississippi? That place may be poor but it's got alot to offer. I went to the blackest area of Mississippi in the dead of summer and experienced no trouble whatsoever.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Hehe...someone from California says he's glad he doesn't live in Mississippi.

The reason he gives is racism. But the particular form of racism he refers to concerns only black folks and white folks.............wonder how California would do if the poll concerned anglos and latinos?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hehe...someone from California says he's glad he doesn't live in Mississippi.

The reason he gives is racism. But the particular form of racism he refers to concerns only black folks and white folks.............wonder how California would do if the poll concerned anglos and latinos?
I grew up in and frequently visit Mississippi. I also frequently visit southern Calif (eastern LA, Pomona, Palm Springs, etc.) for business.

If I had to choose between the two I'd pick Mississippi over SoCal any day.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I grew up in and frequently visit Mississippi. I also frequently visit southern Calif (eastern LA, Pomona, Palm Springs, etc.) for business.

If I had to choose between the two I'd pick Mississippi over SoCal any day.
Yeah.... Our daughter was born in San Diego. We were glad to leave the place.

But to each his own. I never understood the feelings of resentment that Californians had for Mexicans and other Hispanics. But I learned from it, and we came back to Mississippi changed people; more able to see the world through someone else's eyes.
We chortled then as we do now at how they were so quick to point fingers at Mississippians for their "bigotry" and then complained about how Hispanics were "freeloading" and "not welcome".

Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM

513 posts, read 897,371 times
in my personal experience this sentiment comes from mainly older(50+) southerners. most of the younger generations have no real care on way or another. my wife says she would never see herself dating/marrying a black person, but if others wish to do so then whatever makes them happy. i don't care one way or another, if folks are happy with their choice of mate(s) then who are we to judge?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm a registered Republican, and I've dated black and Asian women before. And this statistic is meaningless if it's not broken down by age or socioeconomic status.
Age breakdown:

Ages 18-29: 31% said legal, 54% illegal
Ages 30-45: 48% said legal, 38% illegal
Ages 55-65: 49% said legal, 39% illegal
66 and older: 30% legal while 56% said illegal

Go to the last page and look at the box in the bottom right- http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...MS_0407915.pdf

Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
I don't know how they Wiki determines that PPP is left leaning but they are saying it Public Policy Polling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Based on that, I consider the statistics at least misleading.

Quote:
PPP surveyed 400 usual Mississippi Republican primary voters from March 24th to 27th.
The survey’s margin of error is +/-4.9%.
400 people to determine the thoughts of an entire state. What passes for statistics is amazing. And the word usual is, well unusual. Are these repeat customers for PPP? Have they provided answers in the past that fit PPP's agenda so they are put on the top of the call list? Without knowing how the sample was pulled, we can't know the accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi