Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times

Advertisements

I was watching an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network the other week, and Guy Fieri featured DARWELL'S in Long Beach on his program. All of the food looked very enticing.

For those who've been there, would you agree or disagree that this would be a restaurant worth driving to from Baton Rouge?

For that matter, over the years there have been several Mississippi restaurants featured on that program, and many have been close enough to home to make a short trip worthwhile. If you'd like to recommend your favorite restaurants in the southern part of the state —*say, in the arc from Mobile, AL to Natchez — I'd love to hear about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 AM

40 posts, read 70,857 times
This past week, I went to The Shed on Highway 57 in Ocean Springs and was badly disappointed. The atmosphere felt like they were trying too hard to keep their "funky" image, almost had a chain restaurant feel to it. I got a BBQ sampler and was disappointed by the food, everything was overcooked and tasted the same because they bathed it all in the same sauce. I guess they've changed some since they were on DDD, I was hoping for a more positive experience. Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but that's my opinion.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
We found one in Louisiana a few months back.

It's at the junction of LA115 & LA107 in Effie, LA and it's called Effie's Little Kitchen. We only spotted it because all the local police cars were there (they know where to eat).

It's sort of a buffet style - they'll serve it up for you - and it was beyond good. For desert they offered up home made banana ice cream with a small deep fried Snickers on top!

Check out the collection of pictures of local school classes and school officials on the walls. Americana lives in Effie!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Sorry to read the bad report about Darwell's. I'll admit that I am often suspicious of the restaurants featured on "Triple D."

I'll have to check out Effie's Little Kitchen, 'tho I confess I don't know where Effie is.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

190 posts, read 692,576 times
I don't think the post you are referring to was about Darwell's, it was about the Shed.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM

40 posts, read 70,857 times
Rosiante, I think you might have misunderstood my post about The Shed in Ocean Springs. I wasn't commenting on Darwells, I have never been there.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM

129 posts, read 362,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
This past week, I went to The Shed on Highway 57 in Ocean Springs and was badly disappointed. The atmosphere felt like they were trying too hard to keep their "funky" image, almost had a chain restaurant feel to it. I got a BBQ sampler and was disappointed by the food, everything was overcooked and tasted the same because they bathed it all in the same sauce. I guess they've changed some since they were on DDD, I was hoping for a more positive experience. Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but that's my opinion.
I don't think you caught them on a bad day. I ate there a long time ago and didn't think the food was very good. Since then, I've eaten at the location they opened in Mobile, and have had some good things and some that were not so good. Never really saw the attraction. I think they have five locations now.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
I'll admit that I am often suspicious of the restaurants featured on "Triple D."
I'm just the opposite. In Memphis, I've eaten at Leonard's BBQ (my favorite place for ribs) and Tom's BBQ. Both great. My wife was a regular at The Tea Shop until her office moved to a different building. Again, she raved about the food. I've met the owner and she was as friendly as she appeared on DD&D.

Not on DD&D but featured regularly on The Food Network are The Bourbon Mall in Bourbon, MS and Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS. Doe's has the best steaks ever. And when "Little" Doe is on the broiler, they are even better. The Bourbon Mall was a general store (aka "mall") at the crossroads of the Bourbon community. They started serving food and over the years expanded to be nothing but a restaurant. A bunch of us took a Hummer limo to it and it was crazy driving down what looked like a turn-row to get to this place. We ate, drank and partied into the early morning hours.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM

616 posts, read 854,556 times
I travel to Georgia a lot so I will definitely stop by this place on the way next time. the food looks like it's to die for.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-squared View Post
Rosiante, I think you might have misunderstood my post about The Shed in Ocean Springs. I wasn't commenting on Darwells, I have never been there.
Noted. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi