Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,341 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Starkville, MS from Houston, TX this week and am working to get everything setup so we are set to go once we arrive. This leads me to the question of what high speed internet providers are there in Starkville, and whom would you recommend? We have decided to go with satellite TV, which is already ordered, but we are hoping to bundle both internet and voice. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,801,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish80122 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am moving to Starkville, MS from Houston, TX this week and am working to get everything setup so we are set to go once we arrive. This leads me to the question of what high speed internet providers are there in Starkville, and whom would you recommend? We have decided to go with satellite TV, which is already ordered, but we are hoping to bundle both internet and voice. Thanks in advance for your help!
Not sure about the satellite TV's ability to bundle high speed internet. I think you're at the mercy of metrocast cable for internet or else the high dollar and unaffordable HughesNet, which sucks. Metrocast costs lots of dollars too.

Welcome to Mississippi, the land with sucky internet service providers!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! I will take a peek at Metrocast. I have also found that AT&T offers DSL (but not Uverse) and CenturyLink has a bit slower DSL, but it looks like the price remains the same for 5 years. Any feedback on those as well? If I can get cable internet I will likely do that, as it is a lot faster in my experience. I just hope I can find it at a decent price!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish80122 View Post
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! I will take a peek at Metrocast. I have also found that AT&T offers DSL (but not Uverse) and CenturyLink has a bit slower DSL, but it looks like the price remains the same for 5 years. Any feedback on those as well? If I can get cable internet I will likely do that, as it is a lot faster in my experience. I just hope I can find it at a decent price!
I'm here now in Starkville visiting friends this week. They live here and teach at MSU. Their internet sucks. They get MetroCast and say there's not many more options.

Starkville all around sucks. I got pulled over today as part of the 4th celebration (Mississippi's a police state). I got ticketed for going 34 in a 30 mph. Maybe it's because I have out of state tags. Not that this has anything to do with internet providers here, but I just wanted to vent.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info on Metrocast. It looks like it is quite a bit more expensive than DSL, so I will likely pass on it as long as I can actually get the DSL.

I am sorry to hear about the speeding ticket, 4 over is rough! I have heard that the police are very tight with speeding, especially with out of state tags, so I am planning on using cruise control the whole way. It may take longer, but it is a lot cheaper!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,809,777 times
My parents have AT&T and are happy with it. I don't think it's cheap though.

Do slow your roll in Starkville and the surrounding areas. Money is tight, and the cops are out looking for revenue. I have out of state tags too so I'm a slow-poke out there.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM

9 posts, read 25,503 times
An n of 1 is an awfully small sample size to generalize from. I have out of state tags too and routinely drive 5+ mph over the speed limit, and have never been pulled over once in the +1 year I've been here. Just like nearly any jurisdiction, the local PD sets up DUI saturation checkpoints and will look for any reason to pull someone over, during those times, in targeted areas. If I'm driving at night on a holiday (e.g., 4th of July), I would certainly revise my 5+ mph over the limit rule.

Second, how fast were you really going? Cops will frequently cite someone for 4 mph over when they're really doing 10+ over if they feel like cutting someone a break. It's almost unheard of to get a speeding ticket for actually going <5mph over the limit, because courts know that radar and many other devices have a margin of error of a few mph's +/- the clocked speed. If that ticket is legit, I strongly suggest fighting it because most judges are fully aware of the margin of error and would probably be more lenient with you. Now, if the cop was following you and paced you going 4 mph over, that's another story. Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

I have AT&T for high speed DSL, and am very happy. I pay about $30/month, which is better than metro cast. If I actually called AT&T and threatened to leave, I'm sure I could get that reduced another $5-10/month, but it's not worth the hassle to me, and AT&T has been very good to me. No complaints. I would advise avoiding Metrocast for internet and TV.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueicon View Post
An n of 1 is an awfully small sample size to generalize from. I have out of state tags too and routinely drive 5+ mph over the speed limit, and have never been pulled over once in the +1 year I've been here. Just like nearly any jurisdiction, the local PD sets up DUI saturation checkpoints and will look for any reason to pull someone over, during those times, in targeted areas. If I'm driving at night on a holiday (e.g., 4th of July), I would certainly revise my 5+ mph over the limit rule.

Second, how fast were you really going? Cops will frequently cite someone for 4 mph over when they're really doing 10+ over if they feel like cutting someone a break. It's almost unheard of to get a speeding ticket for actually going <5mph over the limit, because courts know that radar and many other devices have a margin of error of a few mph's +/- the clocked speed. If that ticket is legit, I strongly suggest fighting it because most judges are fully aware of the margin of error and would probably be more lenient with you. Now, if the cop was following you and paced you going 4 mph over, that's another story. Of course, I'm not a lawyer.

I have AT&T for high speed DSL, and am very happy. I pay about $30/month, which is better than metro cast. If I actually called AT&T and threatened to leave, I'm sure I could get that reduced another $5-10/month, but it's not worth the hassle to me, and AT&T has been very good to me. No complaints. I would advise avoiding Metrocast for internet and TV.
So I guess you're interested in my predicament, but I was merely venting yesterday when I made that post. I visit Mississippi often because I have really close friends who live here. It seems that each time I come to Mississippi, I see tons of police officers all over the place. Yesterday, I was going to the store to buy food for our 4th celebration--going down Lynn Lane in Starkville a police officer began following me. He followed me for about a 1/2 mile and then blue-lighted me. My speedometer was just below the 35 mph slash.

The officer was a jerk, too. He should be nicer for getting my money. He also told me that the judge might dismiss it because I have insurance--which makes me wonder why he gave me the ticket if the judge might dismiss it. Probably because he knows that I won't be back up here on the court date and I'll just go on and pay it.

What do they say about cops--their motto--"to collect and splurge"?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,809,777 times
I saw a cop on Hwy 12 east of Ackerman today. Pulled him over a dude speeding (that's my Southern-speak). They're out and looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi