Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM

25,666 posts, read 17,421,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If that's the case then how did Bloomberg win in New York?
Bloomberg won because the people could still remember when a liberal ran the city.

Now they have forgotten.

The will learn again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Bloomberg won because the people could still remember when a liberal ran the city.

Now they have forgotten.

The will learn again.
NYC is liberal though..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
NYC is liberal though..
That's a good point and one that I can not argue with.
But they got tired of the results of their liberalism once and elected Rudy Giuliani as a cure. Giuliani ran as a liberal Republican - same as Bloomberg - but once elected became much more conservative than people thought he was.
It was good for the city, but as you rightly point out, NYC is liberal and there is no changing a die-hard liberal.
So the liberals, who are enjoying the cure affected them by conservative leaders, have now elected another one of their own.
They will wish they hadn't, some day, and will rediscover the value of conservative leadership.

NYC remains one of the most religious areas in America, I believe. Posts are usually hard to win unless you are Catholic like Giuliani or Jewish like Bloomberg. I know the subject is religion in Mississippi. But most people in Mississippi forget that Jews and Catholics outnumber Protestants in some areas.

Bill de Blasio, the current mayor of NYC, is unaffiliated with any religion. That makes a pretty loud statement in my mind and one that reflects the reality that Christianity is declining. In years past it was unthinkable that a public office would be held by someone who did not wave his Christianity or Jewishness around like a battle flag.

Mississippi is 1st in Christianity and last in a whole bunch of other things. I don't think those two are connected, but I do with the Republicans would quit digging in and touting "conservative Christian values".
We Republicans should leave Christianity out of our platform. It's costing us dearly.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's a good point and one that I can not argue with.
But they got tired of the results of their liberalism once and elected Rudy Giuliani as a cure. Giuliani ran as a liberal Republican - same as Bloomberg - but once elected became much more conservative than people thought he was.
It was good for the city, but as you rightly point out, NYC is liberal and there is no changing a die-hard liberal.
So the liberals, who are enjoying the cure affected them by conservative leaders, have now elected another one of their own.
They will wish they hadn't, some day, and will rediscover the value of conservative leadership.

NYC remains one of the most religious areas in America, I believe. Posts are usually hard to win unless you are Catholic like Giuliani or Jewish like Bloomberg. I know the subject is religion in Mississippi. But most people in Mississippi forget that Jews and Catholics outnumber Protestants in some areas.

Bill de Blasio, the current mayor of NYC, is unaffiliated with any religion. That makes a pretty loud statement in my mind and one that reflects the reality that Christianity is declining. In years past it was unthinkable that a public office would be held by someone who did not wave his Christianity or Jewishness around like a battle flag.

Mississippi is 1st in Christianity and last in a whole bunch of other things. I don't think those two are connected, but I do with the Republicans would quit digging in and touting "conservative Christian values".
We Republicans should leave Christianity out of our platform. It's costing us dearly.
They understand the value of bipartisanship, not conservatism. Conservatism has led to states like Mississippi and Louisiana (as well as Texas, but still). Full left or right policies doesn't work well for anyone.

I think those are connected actually. It's not a direct relationship but conservatism and "family values" have held Mississippi far back for decades.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
...........I think those are connected actually. It's not a direct relationship but conservatism and "family values" have held Mississippi far back for decades.
Partially, I can agree. Family values, as it is clumsily applied to Christianity, is a major problem.

As much as Southerners talk about being conservative, they can vote quite liberally. I have a friend that said he was a conservative (By God!) and he believes that the government should take care of people's medical needs.
Go figure...

Conservatism resists change. And every one of us has changed something that we wish we had left alone.
Some things are good enough, I feel, and should be left alone.

I'm not much of a Christian, but I don't like the contemporary Christian service. I like it the old way. I don't like the band with the guitars and drums and the "Star Performer" in front of the congregation. It doesn't seem dignified to me. And it doesn't seem spiritual.
I can find God on my daily walk. But I can't find him in church very often. But I wasn't one of the people who described himself in the survey as 'very religious'.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,621,916 times
Not a Mississippian but a few comments.

Faith is a good thing. I'm happy that there are many people in your state who still attend church and are faithful Christians - or faithful Jews or what ever their affiliation. God sustains me in times of trouble, and I love my church family.

However, teenage pregnancy is a scourge on America. Not just Mississippi. It's an epidemic all over the US.

Children need education, not babies. Middle class people are becoming more open to unplanned babies in their families. It isn't only the poor.

If abstinence only is not working, then try birth control. Be realistic.

Separation of Church and state are an important foundation of our country. One party has decided to co-opt Christianity into politics. With disastrous results.

I'm glad that faith is important in your state, but I also would hope that given your past you would think about some other values - tolerance, education, progress and inclusion.

Blaming blacks for poor academic performance is a cop out.

Blessings.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM

88 posts, read 129,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Faith is a good thing. I'm happy that there are many people in your state who still attend church and are faithful Christians - or faithful Jews or what ever their affiliation. God sustains me in times of trouble, and I love my church family.

However, teenage pregnancy is a scourge on America. Not just Mississippi. It's an epidemic all over the US.

Children need education, not babies. Middle class people are becoming more open to unplanned babies in their families. It isn't only the poor.

Separation of Church and state are an important foundation of our country. One party has decided to co-opt Christianity into politics. With disastrous results.

I'm glad that faith is important in your state, but I also would hope that given your past you would think about some other values - tolerance, education, progress and inclusion.

Blessings.
Agreed!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Blessings.
Condescension.
We hear this all the time from all sorts of places......"I would hope"...."given your past"......."you would think".....and then goes on to list the things "we" should improve upon. As if it were an annual performance appraisal.

I haven't heard anyone blame blacks for poor academic performance, unless she is talking about blaming blacks for their own personal poor academic performance if it exists, the same as a white student may be held accountable for his performance.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,698,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep, and we are #1 in teen pregnancy rates, and #49 in education.
Don't forget, ranked #1 in obesity for like 7 straight years too! I left MS in the 90's. It appears that some of the blame is being shifted from minorities to liberals....which is hilarious considering the state is still run by good ole boys and their ultra conservative brothers.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Don't forget, ranked #1 in obesity for like 7 straight years too! I left MS in the 90's. It appears that some of the blame is being shifted from minorities to liberals....which is hilarious considering the state is still run by good ole boys and their ultra conservative brothers.
:-)

Last edited by Listener2307; 02-14-2014 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi