Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
That is absurd. Anyone can express there experiences.
*their"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
Quote:
That is absurd. Anyone can express there experiences.
It's one thing to express one's experiences, it's another entirely to speak badly of someone's home.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
It's one thing to express one's experiences, it's another entirely to speak badly of someone's home.
Again, this is absurd. In my particular case, the absurdity of your statement is exposed by the fact that I live in Mississippi as well. It is absurd on many other levels as well. Among them, there is nothing you can do about it except not like it. It is also an unproductive statement that does nothing to address the issues people are bringing up. If anything it typifies the stereotype that is part of the problem in the first place.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Again, this is absurd. In my particular case, the absurdity of your statement is exposed by the fact that I live in Mississippi as well. It is absurd on many other levels as well. Among them, there is nothing you can do about it except not like it. It is also an unproductive statement that does nothing to address the issues people are bringing up. If anything it typifies the stereotype that is part of the problem in the first place.

Alright, what happened to you in Mississippi?

I'll relate my experiences to you.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Alright, what happened to you in Mississippi?

I'll relate my experiences to you.
You obviously didnt read the thread. You just want your say. I have no use for that.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
You obviously didnt read the thread. You just want your say. I have no use for that.
A Vietnamese immigrant culture (however small) exists in Mississippi. That's awesome. They work in the fishing business, even better. There's a small Jewish community in Mississippi as well. It's not like more populated states, but it exists. Mississippi may not gain much more in diversity, but that doesn't mean what little of it doesn't exist.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 PM

29 posts, read 53,506 times
I'm a little late to this thread but I wish I was involved in it from the beginning. I'm also Jewish so I'll add my input on what it's like being a white Jewish male currently living in Jackson, MS. I come from New Orleans which is very cosmopolitan and has a vibrant Jewish community. There are two JCCs and about 6-7 synagogues that I can think of. Jackson on the other hand has only one synagogue and no JCCs. However, there is the Institute for Southern Jewish Life which counts as a Jewish establishment. I live on campus at Millsaps so my encounter with the normal population throughout metro Jackson is a lot more limited than Neshomamench's. The fact that I am white means that people can't be prejudiced towards me for not being a white Christian (more specifically, Bapitst) male right off the bat. However, I have never felt threatened by people knowing I'm Jewish and from only one situation (this one deserves a new post so I'll do it next) no body here has expressed their hatred of Jews to me, at least not openly. Then again, I am in a small city in MS and my experience would probably be different if I was in some small town in the middle of nowhere. I also recognize that the same would be true in my home state of Louisiana; LA came close to electing a former KKK leader for governor once.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 PM

29 posts, read 53,506 times
Now the story. A little over a year ago a new freshmen came from some hick town in the middle of nowhere Mississippi. I think Jackson, while not really a city by most peoples' standards, was a huge culture shock for him. Through some conversation I was having with friends and he was there either someone mentioned me being Jewish or I brought it up and he was shocked. Something must of been going through his mind like "Oh no! There's a Jew here. I just made a huge mistake coming to a city and to a liberal college!" He asks me questions about being Jewish cause he's never encountered one. I ask about his faith and learn he's a Southern Baptist, A couple days later, I go to Rueben's (the restaurant on campus) with some friends and he comes in a few minutes later. He sits down nearby and says "JEW!" He repeats it a few seconds later. He says it about five times and then I go all out on him.

"So what is it that you don't like about Jews? You probably think that were all rich and greedy and absolutely the worst people on the planet. So you must hate that we outdo Baptists on everything that they preach. Starting with family life, Jews tend to get married and have kids, in that order. We tend to have just as close knit families and we emphasize family values just as much. Education is a priority. Or how about the fact that we tend to be elite in our professions? Considering the fact that Jews have had to start over so many times in history, if there were no interruptions, we would be so much more powerful than we already are. Jews tend to not complain and just focus on what's important. So next time you want to hate Jews, now you have a reason to. We tend to live better lives than redneck southern Baptists living in Hick Town, Mississippi. We live the standard that outspoken Christians preaching about "family values" are aspiring to live. And to top it all off, we do it without "Jesus."

He was so shocked by what I said that he never called me a Jew in a demeaning way. He didn't know what to say. I realized I was being really mean towards Christitans (and I apologize if what I said is offensive to anyone reading it). My though process at the time was if he was going to hate me for being Jewish, then I will give him a real reason to hate Jews.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,111,304 times
That's a truly horrible thing to happen to you and I'm so thankful it was a single incident. If you're at Millsaps then you're in such an ideal place. How wonderful!

I know this is going to open a can of worms, but I suppose that's what this forum is for. So here goes...I had the impression that Evangelical Christians in particular hold a special affection for Jewish people and Israel, for the obvious reason that Jesus himself was Jewish. Ergo, prejudice from Baptists and others wouldn't make sense - and if anything it would be the opposite...they would hold great reverence for Jewish people, even if they share similar but not identical religious beliefs. If that hypothesis is correct, then wouldn't a Jewish person in Mississippi feel a heightened sense of affection in particular from Evangelical Christians?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
That's a truly horrible thing to happen to you and I'm so thankful it was a single incident. If you're at Millsaps then you're in such an ideal place. How wonderful!

I know this is going to open a can of worms, but I suppose that's what this forum is for. So here goes...I had the impression that Evangelical Christians in particular hold a special affection for Jewish people and Israel, for the obvious reason that Jesus himself was Jewish. Ergo, prejudice from Baptists and others wouldn't make sense - and if anything it would be the opposite...they would hold great reverence for Jewish people, even if they share similar but not identical religious beliefs. If that hypothesis is correct, then wouldn't a Jewish person in Mississippi feel a heightened sense of affection in particular from Evangelical Christians?
No, it doesnt always work that way.

No matter how nice Christians are too Jews, in general, their goal is to convert Jews. No matter how you mask that, they are saying to the Jews "You are wrong." As a Jew, that gets old.

The Evengelicals, in particular, are generally supportive of Israel and the Jewish people, but again, no matter how they sell that, it isnt for the sake of the Jewish people, it is because they have beliefs that are predicated on the actions of the Jewish people and Israel. It is about them. It also gets very uncomfortable the way some of them lord it over Jews just how supportive they are of Jews.

It happens everywhere. It seems worse in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi