Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't know....

I just have trouble answering the call, "Mississippi Sucks!" with, "Yeah, But it sure is cheap!"
Just seems like there ought to be a better come back.
I'm telling ya - being number 50 (or even 51, by some measures) is a burden.
I keep a library of Mississippi Magazine's Wedding Issue (https://www.mismag.com/wedding-register-home/): goes back quite a few years. We keep it for its comedic value, and for playing 'Guess the Religion' (each sect has its own demeanor, and the photos capture it really well). But looking at the brides and their families, it's obvious who does well there. If you were born into an enormous network of friends and extended family, and have enough money for the endless gifts you have to buy, and for going to the endless procession of 'occasions', then it's a great place. Well, also, you have to have money for private schools, and you have to have the money for keeping the air conditioning running in the house and in the cars. You have to be able to afford endless driving - particularly when the kids are young, and have to be driven hither, thither, and yon. You have to be the sort who does not cringe when somebody starts playing Elton John or the Jackson Five. You have to accept that beauty contestants can be 'Fine Christian Girls', even while parading before men, in swimsuits and high heels. You have to accept that this sort of thing is OK, even for Chi Omegas and Delta Delta Deltas (whose exalted social status one would expect to preclude participation in such undignified spectacles). And you have to believe that football players are heroes, and that their deaths are somehow bigger tragedies than the deaths of others. You have to somehow accept the consensus that football and cheerleading are things of which Jesus would approve.

In other words, if you were born on the stage, with a script to follow, and have the means to act-out that script, then Mississippi is a wonderful place.

However, I'm REELING from the latest 'LAST' awarded to Mississippi. I just don't think it's right. And who knew North Dakota would take the lead? (My Decorator was right: those Swedes and Norwegians have it all.) Considering Mississippi's demographics (including a group you'd think would dwarf Norwegian Beet Farmers), you'd assume the state would lead. But my daughter says you have to "Consider Mississippi's Great Dichotomy, Mom!". The portion of the population who can and do, are the people buying the product upon which the rankings are based. And they're making those purchases via the Internet. The portion of the population who can't and don't are not bothering to make online purchases of the critical product, apparently (and disease transmission stats bear this out: Miss. Leads Nation in STD's According to Latest CDC StatisticsNews Mississippi - and the prevalence of disease tells me that it isn't just online purchases of the product which are lagging among Mississippi's at-risk population. Brick and Mortar retail sales of the product must not be very brisk, either. But, at least incidence of this disease is another First for my home state).

By contrast, North Dakotans have traditionally, for the most part, been of one social class (Middle), and one race (Blue-eyed Blonds). There is no "Great Dichotomy" there, of Conscientious Achievers vs Malevolent Lumps. So, Mississippi's primary standouts are apparently not being counted in this survey (while North Dakota's are being counted) and thus Mississippi ranks dead last. Average Penis Size by State, According to Condomania | TIME.com

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-11-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:26 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
I'll offer a voice of hope, regarding the dichotomy (noted above) of educated, wealthier people and less employable people, etc. Once the national economy returns to its normal booming status, such as occurred in the 50s and 60s and from 1982 to 2000 or 2008...let's say an annual growth rate of 3.5%, while the population (in Mississippi) grows at say .5% to 1% annually, that means the GDP per person will double every 35 years.

And if you look at usa.com at median household incomes, that means for white or Caucasian households in Mississippi they will double in 35 years from about $50,000 to $100,000. And black or African-American households will double from about $25,000 to $50,000. And because of Mississippi's lower cost of living, to compare those to national averages one would increase those figures each by about 15% (i.e. to $115,000 and $57,000). This is very hopeful.

This means that in 35 years, assuming America after 2016 returns to its normal booming economy, there would not be such a dichotomy as described above in Mississippi. That's because with both white or Caucasian households and black or African-American households, the majority of households for both will be at middle class income levels according to the federal government definitions .

And really it won't take an increase even that dramatic. I would think for any group, once the median household income reaches $35,000 to $40,000 for an average household of say 2 adults and once child, that's a middle class income and lifestyle as defined by the federal government, I think although I stand to be corrected on that statistic.

And specifically for Mississippi to get to that point for both white and black households, we're probably only 15 to 20 years under a booming national economy. That's because in just 20 years under a normal booming US economy, median household income for white households in Mississippi should increase by a little over 50%, so from about $50,000 to say $75 or $80,000. And black households will grow from about $25,000 to almost $40,000. That's in just 20 years. And it would mean blessedly that for everyone in Mississippi, the majorities of households will be solidly middle class according to federal definitions.

And for the state as a whole, the median household income in 20 years should grow from a current $40,000 approximately, up to over $60,000...again, in just 20 years. And if you adjust that upwards by 15% to account for Mississippi's low cost of living, then in just 20 years the effective median household income for all households will be closer to $70,000...a figure close to the current median household income in prosperous cities like Brandon, Clinton, Southaven, etc.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I keep a library of Mississippi Magazine's Wedding Issue (https://www.mismag.com/wedding-register-home/): goes back quite a few years. We keep it for its comedic value, and for playing 'Guess the Religion' (each sect has its own demeanor, and the photos capture it really well). But looking at the brides and their families, it's obvious who does well there. If you were born into an enormous network of friends and extended family, and have enough money for the endless gifts you have to buy, and for going to the endless procession of 'occasions', then it's a great place. Well, also, you have to have money for private schools, and you have to have the money for keeping the air conditioning running in the house and in the cars. You have to be able to afford endless driving - particularly when the kids are young, and have to be driven hither, thither, and yon. You have to be the sort who does not cringe when somebody starts playing Elton John or the Jackson Five. You have to accept that beauty contestants can be 'Fine Christian Girls', even while parading before men, in swimsuits and high heels. You have to accept that this sort of thing is OK, even for Chi Omegas and Delta Delta Deltas (whose exalted social status one would expect to preclude participation in such undignified spectacles). And you have to believe that football players are heroes, and that their deaths are somehow bigger tragedies than the deaths of others. You have to somehow accept the consensus that football and cheerleading are things of which Jesus would approve.

In other words, if you were born on the stage, with a script to follow, and have the means to act-out that script, then Mississippi is a wonderful place.

However, I'm REELING from the latest 'LAST' awarded to Mississippi. I just don't think it's right. And who knew North Dakota would take the lead? (My Decorator was right: those Swedes and Norwegians have it all.) Considering Mississippi's demographics (including a group you'd think would dwarf Norwegian Beet Farmers), you'd assume the state would lead. But my daughter says you have to "Consider Mississippi's Great Dichotomy, Mom!". The portion of the population who can and do, are the people buying the product upon which the rankings are based. And they're making those purchases via the Internet. The portion of the population who can't and don't are not bothering to make online purchases of the critical product, apparently (and disease transmission stats bear this out: Miss. Leads Nation in STD's According to Latest CDC StatisticsNews Mississippi - and the prevalence of disease tells me that it isn't just online purchases of the product which are lagging among Mississippi's at-risk population. Brick and Mortar retail sales of the product must not be very brisk, either. But, at least incidence of this disease is another First for my home state).

By contrast, North Dakotans have traditionally, for the most part, been of one social class (Middle), and one race (Blue-eyed Blonds). There is no "Great Dichotomy" there, of Conscientious Achievers vs Malevolent Lumps. So, Mississippi's primary standouts are apparently not being counted in this survey (while North Dakota's are being counted) and thus Mississippi ranks dead last. Average Penis Size by State, According to Condomania | TIME.com
One of your best posts yet, really laid down the social status circle that precludes life in the state of Mississippi, could not have hit a better nail on the head.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I'll offer a voice of hope, regarding the dichotomy (noted above) of educated, wealthier people and less employable people, etc. Once the national economy returns to its normal booming status, such as occurred in the 50s and 60s and from 1982 to 2000 or 2008...let's say an annual growth rate of 3.5%, while the population (in Mississippi) grows at say .5% to 1% annually, that means the GDP per person will double every 35 years.

And if you look at usa.com at median household incomes, that means for white or Caucasian households in Mississippi they will double in 35 years from about $50,000 to $100,000. And black or African-American households will double from about $25,000 to $50,000. And because of Mississippi's lower cost of living, to compare those to national averages one would increase those figures each by about 15% (i.e. to $115,000 and $57,000). This is very hopeful.

This means that in 35 years, assuming America after 2016 returns to its normal booming economy, there would not be such a dichotomy as described above in Mississippi. That's because with both white or Caucasian households and black or African-American households, the majority of households for both will be at middle class income levels according to the federal government definitions .

And really it won't take an increase even that dramatic. I would think for any group, once the median household income reaches $35,000 to $40,000 for an average household of say 2 adults and once child, that's a middle class income and lifestyle as defined by the federal government, I think although I stand to be corrected on that statistic.

And specifically for Mississippi to get to that point for both white and black households, we're probably only 15 to 20 years under a booming national economy. That's because in just 20 years under a normal booming US economy, median household income for white households in Mississippi should increase by a little over 50%, so from about $50,000 to say $75 or $80,000. And black households will grow from about $25,000 to almost $40,000. That's in just 20 years. And it would mean blessedly that for everyone in Mississippi, the majorities of households will be solidly middle class according to federal definitions.

And for the state as a whole, the median household income in 20 years should grow from a current $40,000 approximately, up to over $60,000...again, in just 20 years. And if you adjust that upwards by 15% to account for Mississippi's low cost of living, then in just 20 years the effective median household income for all households will be closer to $70,000...a figure close to the current median household income in prosperous cities like Brandon, Clinton, Southaven, etc.
Your stats, figures, and most of all predictions do not add up. For Mississippi to see an overall growth in economy there has to be a serious reworking of the states social stances and likely a spur in population. Mississippi is growing, but at an extremely slow rate, may as well be stagnant.

What's happening in the 21st century and especially across much of the southern states is not an increase in earnings across the board. If middle class whites double their income in 35 years you CANNOT expect middle or working class blacks to enjoy the same returns. There has to be a demand for better jobs, more jobs, serious careers that take skills and education.

An issue that still plagues the heart of many of Mississippi's smaller towns is that some people are just too cozy with one another. Educational requirements and work experience are sometimes forgone when hiring a new employee if they're a family member or close friend of the family who owns said business. As long as the good ole boy system is in place in Mississippi there will be rather low interest from outsiders to move there and take up new roots.

The real issue here is the tale of two states, where certain areas have nowhere to go but downhill and other areas are on the up and up. For cities in the Delta, like Vicksburg, Greenville, and Yazoo City there isn't much light on any glorious things in the works, people are leaving those cities by the thousands. For the elite suburbs of Brandon, Madison, Ridgeland and coastal Mississippi like Bay St. Louis, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, D'Ibberville, things are looking up. A highly divided social economic state overall hampers economic growth, areas where the divide in wealth is not nearly so great are generally more well off with fewer issues and even lower crime rates.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Mississippi's gross domestic product has been growing at about the same rate as the national economy. It grew 46% from 2002 to 2012 (see link down below). While the population is growing more slowly, the actual size of the economy has been growing at about the same pace as the nation as a a whole. That's why Mississippi's per capita income over the years has gradually grown closer to the national average (now about 78% of the national average, or 90% of the national average when factoring in cost of living).

If you look at historical data going back to the 1950s and 60s, the growth in per capita income for all groups (e.g. Caucasians and African-Americans) has grown at about the same pace. This is why it's so important to have a booming national economy. E.g if the population is growing at say 1% per year and the size of the economy is growing at 4% per year, that's a 3% increase in per capita income per year, which would translate into a nearly 40% increase over 10 years and 80% increase over 20 years. That kind of growth would apply to all groups based on historical US Census data trends.

And those same statistics apply to rural counties as well as more urban counties. If you look at historical data by county in Mississippi, you'll see that by and large, the counties with per capita incomes say 20% above the state average are still above average by roughly 20%, and those the same as the state average and say 20% below average are still in those same positions. In other words, everyone is progressing on a per capita basis at about the same pace, with the exception of a few counties like DeSoto County for example which has transformed from a rural county to a suburban county.

Even in the smaller towns, the increases in wealth over the last 30 years or so are very apparent, not just in looking at statistics but just seeing the huge, elegant homes built since the 1980s and 90s with the lush yards, etc, much larger and more luxurious than the little ranch houses built in the 1950s or post WWII homes from the 1940s, at a time when most people, even professional people, had one bathroom, one car, rarely ate out at restaurants, were lucky to take a modest trip once a year to the beach at most, and usually had just a couple of outfits.

Today, in places from Picayune to McComb to Columbus to Corinth, as with the rest of the US, most people are busy buying a brand-new iPhone and loading up on giant flat-screens, computers, kindle, etc at Sam's and Wal-Mart.

In any event, for Mississippi to accelerate its economic status even more quickly, it needs an even more booming economy, and in my opinion anyway, the current proposal to eliminate the individual income tax would indeed deliver that booming economy (after 2016).

http://www.alec.org/wp-content/uploads/RSPS-MS-14.pdf

Old 03-11-2015, 09:56 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,913 times
Mississippi average median income is $36,919 a year the national median average is a little over $51,000 a year. Big discrepancy.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 PM

I checked the Federal Reserve of St Louis website, which has amazing resources with all kinds of fun data. Their latest data on per capita income is from July and October 2014.

As of those dates Mississippi is listed at $34,553 and the US average $46,735. Since Mississippi's cost of living is around 88% of the US average I believe, which means for a fair comparison (regarding the per capita income data above) you can adjust the Mississippi number upwards by roughly 15%, which brings it to $39,735, or about 85% of the national average. This is actually down a bit from a couple of years ago, which tells me the recession is hurting Mississippi a bit more than the nation on average.

I predict that Mississippi will indeed reach the national average within 30 years or so, by continuing to gradually growing bit by bit. On these boards I've pushed for eliminating the income tax so that Mississippi can compete on a level playing field for investments with Texas and Florida (which have no income tax on entrepreneurs), as well as providing a scholarship to every child regardless of income, to attend the private or parochial school of their choice.

By injecting intensive choice of schools for consumers (parents) and competition between schools over the quality and outcomes of the teachin... student reading, math and thinking skills will rise dramatically, thus increasing their likelihood of completing some type of skill-based vocational degree or college degree and increasing their likelihood of getting married before having children. In doing those things, Mississippi will rise rapidly up the charts in terms of economic vitality.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I checked the Federal Reserve of St Louis website, which has amazing resources with all kinds of fun data. Their latest data on per capita income is from July and October 2014.

As of those dates Mississippi is listed at $34,553 and the US average $46,735. Since Mississippi's cost of living is around 88% of the US average I believe, which means for a fair comparison (regarding the per capita income data above) you can adjust the Mississippi number upwards by roughly 15%, which brings it to $39,735, or about 85% of the national average. This is actually down a bit from a couple of years ago, which tells me the recession is hurting Mississippi a bit more than the nation on average.

I predict that Mississippi will indeed reach the national average within 30 years or so, by continuing to gradually growing bit by bit. On these boards I've pushed for eliminating the income tax so that Mississippi can compete on a level playing field for investments with Texas and Florida (which have no income tax on entrepreneurs), as well as providing a scholarship to every child regardless of income, to attend the private or parochial school of their choice.

By injecting intensive choice of schools for consumers (parents) and competition between schools over the quality and outcomes of the teachin... student reading, math and thinking skills will rise dramatically, thus increasing their likelihood of completing some type of skill-based vocational degree or college degree and increasing their likelihood of getting married before having children. In doing those things, Mississippi will rise rapidly up the charts in terms of economic vitality.
If all your stats and predictions are so convincing and Mississippi has grown at the same rate as the nation for the last 10-30 years, then why is the state still so damn poor? Answer me that.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If all your stats and predictions are so convincing and Mississippi has grown at the same rate as the nation for the last 10-30 years, then why is the state still so damn poor? Answer me that.
One answer would have to be the starting point. From the end of the Civil War through The Depression, Mississippi was REALLY poor.
Equality began to establish itself only after good roads and electricity was available to all. And I still run across people who remember when they lived in a portion of the state that had no electricity.

And I expect that if you took out the effect that the delta counties have, Mississippi would look much better.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
One answer would have to be the starting point. From the end of the Civil War through The Depression, Mississippi was REALLY poor.
Equality began to establish itself only after good roads and electricity was available to all. And I still run across people who remember when they lived in a portion of the state that had no electricity.

And I expect that if you took out the effect that the delta counties have, Mississippi would look much better.
I've said this myself before actually. Haven't lived 4 years in Mississippi I had noticed that most of the state was completely identical to the rest of the southern states. When you factor in how dirt poor so many people in the Delta are and how jobs and people leave that area day after day Mississippi sinks a lot. Without the Delta I'd venture to say Mississippi could jump a couple in most of these national rankings that usually pit it as dead last.

In your experience, when do you think the state really started to build up its infrastructure and modernize? Becoming one with the rest of the country and establishing a more modern standard of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi