Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,149 times

Advertisements

The humidity is oppressive along the coast. Just don't wear black clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Not true. The humidity is oppressive in places like New Orleans, that has no ocean breeze. On the Mississippi Gulf Coast, the ocean breezes flow south to north 9 months of the year...summertime. The winter, north to south. I know. I lived there from 1978 to 1993.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 31,214 times
I appreciate everyone's responses. I feel a little more educated about the area now. I will be visiting in a couple of weeks, so I will be able to experience it myself. I'm glad that there are ocean breezes. Golden Eagles Fan almost broken my heart because almost all of my clothes are black lol. Guess I could use more color anyway. Thanks everyone!!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Well, black anything absorbs more light and makes more heat. Black clothes, black cars, back roads.

If you move to the Gulf Coast -Lucky you- hit the thrift stores and find white and light colored clothes!!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I agree with brick, and completely disagree with southsidegal. You never said you were planning on trying to change anyone, so come on down, and be yourself!

Contrary to the opinions of the media (both national TV and talk radio), Mississippi IS NOT a homogeneous mass of conservative white racists too busy oppressing the descendants of slaves to stumble into the 21st century.

And of all areas in the state, IMO the coast (or maybe Hattiesburg, just up Hwy 49) is the most welcoming of different viewpoints.

I will, however, point out an issue raised by your "crappy weather" statement. One problem with the southern coast is that it is oppressively hot and humid. Think of the worst heat wave you experienced up in NY; now imagine that wave lasting for over two months straight.
All true about the humidity. One more thing about the humidity no one has mentioned. It is really bad after a HURRICANE. Yes they have hurricanes on the gulf coast.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM

77 posts, read 132,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metabliss View Post
Why would I do what? Move close to my family? Do I really have to answer that, or is common sense gonna kick in at some point? I have to ask myself who the troll really is here....

Where I'm from, it's customary to be yourself without fear of judgement and not be told to move an hour away and visit on weekends. But thank you for your input. Your 37 word answer spoke VOLUMES.

Where you're from? Well, perhaps in the melting pot of the Empire State(and even this is being generous as we know how heavily NY leans a certain way), but let me stop you dead in your tracks lest your double standard keeps its legs.

These are some cities I have lived in:

Portland, OR
Portland,ME
San Fran, CA
Seattle, WA

Now, I'm here to tell you today, that in EVERY ONE of those places, I exercised your above-stated right to be myself as a STAUNCH conservative and since my views were sharply obtuse to the local social fabric, I was excluded, rejected, and attacked repeatedly. Mind you, never ONCE was I outwardly disrespectful to anyone.

But see to liberals, that's OK to do to conservatives, because they're 'wrong' and 'bad'. But somehow it's 'wrong' for conservarives to do that to liberals. I see this everywhere. Utter balderdash.

Do NOT, play your little game of demading others in a locale that is sharply contrasted to your own beliefs to roll the red carpet out for you. A conservative in Portland, OR has about a 1 in 100 chance of ever being liked, respected, accepted, or even so much as acknowledged as a fellow human being purely because of their social and political leanings that they have EVERY right to.

Folks of MS, do not take the cache 22 bait the OP has laid out with his question. He wins no matter how you answer. If you tolerate him, his type shoves smugly shoves his views down your throat and in your face at every chance, and if you reject him, he screams all kinds of politically correct 4 letter words and demonizes you.

I have never, EVER seen - any- liberal-dominated cities behave anything CLOSE to what you're expecting conservative cities to be as the 'right thing to do' to an outsider who feels differently.

You liberals are the LEAST inclusive to ANYONE who is not absolutely aligned with your social radicalism. So don't expect conservatives to include, accept or embrace you. Because that is not what your party does when someone doesn't agree with their beliefs

This I know first hand.

If your "folk" categorically rehecy anyone who doesn't believe everything they do to the letter, you have zero right to expect such quarter to be afforded to you as the odd man out.

So don't.

Last edited by SickOfAllThePC1983; 06-22-2015 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Typo edits

Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfAllThePC1983 View Post
Where you're from? Well, perhaps in the melting pot of the Empire State, but let me stop youndead in your tracks lest your double standard keeps its legs.

These are some cities I have lived in:

Portland, OR
Portland,ME
San Fran, CA
Seattle, WA

Now, I'm here to tell you today, that in EVERY ONE of those places, I exercised your above-stated right to be myself as a STAUNCH conservatist and since my views were sharply obtuse to the local social fabric, I was excluded, rejected, and attacked repeatedly. Mind you, never ONCE was I outwardly disrespectful to anyone.

So do NOT, play your little game of demading others in a locale that is sharply contrasted to your own beliefs to roll the red carpet out for you. A conservative in Portland, OR has about a 1 in 100 chance of ever being liked, respected, or accepted, purely because of their s9cial and political leanings that they have EVERY right to.

Folks of MS, do not take the cache 22 bait the OP has laid out with his question. He wins no matter how you answer. If you tolerate him, he shoves his views down your throat at every chance, and if you reject him, he screams all kinds of politically correct 4 letter words.

I have never, EVER seen liberal-dominated cities be anything CLOSE to what you're expecting conservative cities to be.

Your game is easily seen. I know your type. You liberals are the LEAST inclusive to ANYONE who is not absolutely aligned with your social radicalism. So don't expect conservatives to include, accept or embrace you. Because that is not what your party does when someone doesn't agree with their beliefs.

Period.
I'm sorry that you have trouble being accepted by others, but because you were attacked, is no reason to attack me. I'm not playing any games or expecting a red carpet. I simply asked if I would have trouble fitting in. If you wanna be judgmental and butthurt, take it to another forum and get off my thread. If one thing about living in my area has taught me, it's not to let ignorant, bitter, people bash me. It's not gonna work, so you might as well save your energy.

Also, if you are treated like such crap everywhere that you go, don't you think the common denominator is YOU?

I will not read anymore posts with your user name on it. Pick your fights elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:41 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! I have a question!

My mother and I both have been looking to relocate down south for years now. My uncle has moved to Gulfport recently and loves it! He is strongly urging us to move there. We will be taking a trip there in a few weeks and if like it, we may take him up on the offer to stay until we both get places to live. We are so over the crappy weather and rude attitudes up here.

About me: I am in my early 30's and am a bleeding heart from NY. I'm talking, an open-minded, free spirited, tattooed, sick sense of humor, gay rights, pro-life, new age Democrat. At the risk of sounding like a 14 year old about to start high school, am I going to fit in anywhere? I would be leaving an amazing and vast group of friends behind. I would hate to move to a new state and not be able to find some new cronies who have similar interests.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Here we go again....

The south is not a "Dukes of Hazard" show. We have running water down here, electricity, and the residents here are not all from the cast of "Deliverence".
You won't have any more issues then you will have going to any other new town, and your ability to adapt or not will be up to you, not your locale - you will eventually make your own friends and will find people you fit in with. Just don't demand it for others - and you will have that same issue be it in a city in California, Ohio, or us "rednecks" in MS.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM

Dd714, thanks for your response, much appreciated.

To everyone who has, or will read this thread: I don't mean to make assumptions about what its like in MS. But you've gotta understand, I don't have much to go on except what I see on TV, and by my only source actually there: my uncle. Who is a self admitted, conservative, "redneck". That is all I have to go on! This is why I am doing the research for myself by asking people who know! I'm not planning on going down there to preach the Liberal agenda, and I don't expect people to fall at my feet. I just want to know if it's possible for me to be happy there. I'd be a fool to just blindly move without researching it first. Thanks everyone!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:13 PM

77 posts, read 132,316 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you have trouble being accepted by others, but because you were attacked, is no reason to attack me. I'm not playing any games or expecting a red carpet. I simply asked if I would have trouble fitting in. If you wanna be judgmental and butthurt, take it to another forum and get off my thread. If one thing about living in my area has taught me, it's not to let ignorant, bitter, people bash me. It's not gonna work, so you might as well save your energy.

Also, if you are treated like such crap everywhere that you go, don't you think the common denominator is YOU?

I will not read anymore posts with your user name on it. Pick your fights elsewhere.

What's so funny is the OP -cannot- address the double standard I speak of because to a liberal, their behavior is the picture-perfect ideal of tolerace and acceptance, end-of-story.

But that is a mistruth. Truth is, no liberal who posts about wanting to be accepted in an area even though they are different can address the grossly obvious double standard that is omnipresent is any and every city that bleeds blue.

I'm a very well-liked guy. I don't need to defend that atatement either, because again, you're trying to reframe the scenario as a "personal problem" when the fact of the matter is, I meant many professional transplants in said cities that were from the Mid-west and South and they pretty much all had a similar sentiment.

But I guess...they're all just "butt-hurt" too. Notice the particular choice of words. Once again, a liberal disrespects a conservative by launching their views into said conservative's face through a double entendre. If you had any respect or class you would not have so thoughtfully chosen to use that phrase. I would surmise it gave you some perverted satisfaction to do so.

And to everyone who repped me for my previous post: Why not stop hiding and cowering and stand up and speak your mind same as me?

No one "bashed" you OP. No name-calling, no insults, just simply the cold hard TRUTH about how hypocritical it is when I constantly see self-proclaimed radical liberals post in a conservative state in C-D and try to get the locals on the run by bottle-necking them into an all-or-nothing choice of accepting your views or being labelled as lesser. Liberals are extremely, extremely close-minded and exclusionary to any and all who do not feel the same way they do. Just stating a very fair point. Stop pathetically trying to twist that around somehow into an "attack" or "ignorance." Nay, living across the country in multiple different metros imparts wisdom, not ignorance.

Classic, text-book manipulation going on here. Only the sharper, savvier eyes reading this thread will plainly see the OP for who he is and what he represents.

I don't know about Mississippi folk, but I sure as heck would hold my home state to a higher standard of person I'd be willing to accept.

Integrity, honesty, forthrightedness.

I know who I am. What's more I know who someone else is within the first or second interaction I have with them.

And that's all ya really gotta know folks. -tips hat- Evenin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi