Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times

Advertisements

Gunn: Confederate part of state flag 'needs to be removed'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 PM

799 posts, read 1,066,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I voted for the new flag in 2001. I have a feeling Gunn went public with this knowing he had people at the legislature on his side. The problem is I don't think the Legislature itself can get rid of the emblem. They have to go through another ballot referendum.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
I voted for the new flag in 2001. I have a feeling Gunn went public with this knowing he had people at the legislature on his side. The problem is I don't think the Legislature itself can get rid of the emblem. They have to go through another ballot referendum.
I bought a MS flag after my trip out there.

I'm a big Civil War buff so I never had trouble with it, I bought an Ole Miss football banner as well.

And if it does go to vote again, will results be the same? Demographics have changed up in some counties since 2001.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 PM

799 posts, read 1,066,405 times
I think in 2001 the vote was 63% voted against the proposed flag. It might be a little less but not much. The result would be the same.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 AM

The last thing needed is a big knee jerk reaction.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I bought a MS flag after my trip out there.

I'm a big Civil War buff so I never had trouble with it, I bought an Ole Miss football banner as well.

And if it does go to vote again, will results be the same? Demographics have changed up in some counties since 2001.
If I understand correctly, The Confederate flag did not become a part of the Mississippi State Flag until the early sixties when the Feds ordered the public schools to integrate. It was more about segregation than it was about the Civil War and it was showing defiance. Like somebody else said, they were flipping the bird to the United States government.

If it goes to the voters, most likely they will vote along racial lines and the Confederate flag will stay on the state flag, so I would imagine the Mississippi legislators will be the ones to vote to remove it from the state flag or not.

If the legislators in South Carolina vote to take the flag off their Capitol grounds, you can bet there will be a lot of public pressure on Mississippi to remove the Confederate flag from their state flag.

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

CNN, MSNBC, and Fox loves stories about race. It must be a real ratings booster for them. It's like crack to the media. They can't get enough of it.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Demanding that these flags be removed is a move in hatred against Southern heritage. Maybe we should make a deal with the people wanting it. We will take the flag down if you will start supporting yourselves. The discussion would stop immediately.

As you can see on this forum, it is O. K. to do Southern bashing. But post an effective post putting Southern bashers in their place and see what happens to it.

The South was violently beaten but they could not beat our spirit. We have pulled ourselves up and made a better life for ourselves than the rest of the country or that must be the case because they all seem to want to move to where we are. If black people think life would be so much better elsewhere, let them move there and they will be back where people treat each other with respect in a couple of years.

You might want to think about biting the hands that feed you unless you are ready to start feeding yourselves.

Last edited by NCN; 06-23-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM

401 posts, read 536,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Demanding that these flags be removed is a move in hatred against Southern heritage. Maybe we should make a deal with the people wanting it. We will take the flag down if you will start supporting yourselves. The discussion would stop immediately.

As you can see on this forum, it is O. K. to do Southern bashing. But post an effective post putting Southern bashers in their place and see what happens to it.

The South was violently beaten but they could not beat our spirit. We have pulled ourselves up and made a better life for ourselves than the rest of the country or that must be the case because they all seem to want to move to where we are. If black people think life would be so much better elsewhere, let them move there and they will be back where people treat each other with respect in a couple of years.

You might want to think about biting the hands that feed you unless you are ready to start feeding yourselves.
No. It was a war fought to insure property rights in human chattel. Our interests in that war heinously flew in the face of the Constitution. That's not a heritage worth celebrating (see Nazi Germany). If the demographic history of this country were completely flipped -- that black's colonized the US, held whites in slavery for virtually 100 years, treated them as second-rate and sub-human through the remainder of the 19th century, and then systematically sought to segregate against them through law and social device in the 20th, then you too would want a flag symbolizing 200+ years of abject oppression removed from the public sector.

"We will take the flag down if you will start supporting yourselves."

What an extremely stupid and ignorant statement. Shame on you.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If I understand correctly, The Confederate flag did not become a part of the Mississippi State Flag until the early sixties when the Feds ordered the public schools to integrate. It was more about segregation than it was about the Civil War and it was showing defiance. Like somebody else said, they were flipping the bird to the United States government.

If it goes to the voters, most likely they will vote along racial lines and the Confederate flag will stay on the state flag, so I would imagine the Mississippi legislators will be the ones to vote to remove it from the state flag or not.

If the legislators in South Carolina vote to take the flag off their Capitol grounds, you can bet there will be a lot of public pressure on Mississippi to remove the Confederate flag from their state flag.

It should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

CNN, MSNBC, and Fox loves stories about race. It must be a real ratings booster for them. It's like crack to the media. They can't get enough of it.
Either the people have the power and it is put on the ballot or the legislators have the power and they can vote to change it when they please but it can't be both.

I'm assuming the power to change the flag lies with the citizens of MS because it was on the ballot the last time this was brought up. I don't have time to check now, but the answer should be somewhere in here - CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI

Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
I wish they would ban the flags everywhere. It's a slap in the face to blacks and to some of us whites who want the racism to stop, while others want to keep the hate alive by hiding behind some "southern heritage". Hornswaggle. Fly your redneck flag from the back of your 1980s pickup truck, go right ahead, it's not like nobody knows what you are already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi