Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

I'm fond of Mississippi and Louisiana but I'm chilled by the horrible reading and math proficiency scores they both perennially receive. If you teach there or work in or with the schools there, can you give me an idea of what the problem is? Please dont talk about race. Im asking about funding and curricula, and I suppose the general population's attitude toward the value of a decent public education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,258 times
I've taught in the Delta, north central, and NE Mississippi. My experience has been that it depends on where you're teaching, and what value the predominant local culture places on getting an education. If the parents are involved and engaged in the process, the children will show positive results regardless of race or socioeconomic status.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 89,164 times
If you want to teach in Mississippi, and want the best public schools as far as kids that want to learn and do well...go to South Mississippi. Gulfport, Biloxi, and Ocean Springs are probably the best. Not to say that these areas are without problems, but the area is well diverse with a population from all over the world. Just one man's opinion.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 241,545 times
I was an SLP on a coast school, yes diversification helps and the schools in general are better and value education of course as pointed out, if the majority of the families do not value an education and do not want to be bothered helping Johnny out at home there will be difficulties

Old 07-09-2008, 02:07 AM

15 posts, read 90,734 times
Cleveland seems to have a good school district.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 49,505 times
I do teach in MS and the public schools lack of standards are very sad. I too was chilled at their scores and the fact that they don't take a national test only a statewide test. Coming from another state I was teaching a grade high, but teaching that grade what I was teaching the lower grade in my previous state, b/c the public schools are so far behind.... I think the only good education a child will get will probably be in a private school where you a paying big money. However, if you enjoy picking your kid up and then working with them for several hours each night, then public schools will be just fine! The schools aren't all bad, hopefully you'll get a school that actually has a curriculum that is followed. I just see that there is no accountability for the teachers in most cases, so they just do whatever they want!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
My niece taught in Rosedale for 10 years, but gave up the ghost this past May. Not because of the education "system", but because of the politics. I went to public schools, and I fared well in the long run. The private schools came about when desegregation was mandated. I really see no reason for their continuance; however, as I do not have chirrens, what do I know, huh?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 90,734 times
For the record, beware of "many" of the private schools. Many of them lack a coherent curriculum. Some are better than others, but I could say the same for many public schools here and in other states as well. Interesting note, I know the general consensus is that Mississippi has the worst schools in the US. But, from my experience, every state has a few lousy schools. Perhaps its that Mississippi has more than its fair share. Mississippi also has some good schools - it's just much fewer than the state needs.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:59 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,258 times
Private schools are the only viable option for parents wanting a quality education in a safe, orderly environment in the Delta, and who are unable to home school. You had better be prepared to pay for it, though. I taught in the same public schools mentioned above; I took the first opportunity to move to NE Mississippi for the primary purpose of sending my daughters to school here. The schools in the Delta are filled with excuses and demands for additional funding, but very little learning. What education does take place is scaled back to the point that mediocrity is celebrated and outright failure is overlooked. The saddest thing is that there are some good kids there who graduate thinking they are actually prepared for work or college.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 120,206 times
public schools in the delta and in jackson are a joke, except for cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi