Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 PM

154 posts, read 75,367 times

Advertisements

I'm an older non-traditional student trying to decide what college to attend to finish my bachelor's. Money isn't an issue, so wide-open to where to go. Not a super high honors student, mathlete, etc. Like I said older, non-traditional veteran transfer student with decent enough GPA. Looking mostly at schools in the south, also considering some others.

Wanted to get any opinions if Ole Miss or Miss State are good schools to consider? Part of my decision on a school is that I would 'like' to go to a school in an area I could end up liking enough to possibly stay in the area/state after school and settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 11:21 PM

577 posts, read 563,201 times
Both universities are lovely and have good reputations. They are virtually the same size and in similar sized towns. A decision on whether or not to stay and settle depends on what you are planning to do. They are both in small towns, so obviously these are not big job markets.

Oxford usually makes the lists of best places to live in the U.S, because it's a college town with a lovely historic feel, low crime, and in an area of lovely hills and forests.

Starkville is not as picturesque as Oxford but is vibrant and on the upswing with a high quality of life. The city is in transition with newly upgraded parks, downtown housing developments, investments in tasteful landscaping and signing on the commercial corridors and growing residential subdivisions.

Starkville is benefiting from proximity to neighboring Columbus, which has been recruiting an impressive list of high-tech industries.

In terms of job markets though, the best nearby place to live is probably DeSoto County, which is just south of Memphis. This is a very nice suburban county that is growing and improving with each day, and they have an impressive array of industries due to proximity to the Memphis airport.

The main benefit of Mississippi compared to neighboring states like North Carolina, Texas, Georgia and Florida is that it's both affordable and blissfully uncrowded. And the people by and large are incredibly kind. The job market is far better in those other states, so it depends on what field you choose.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:25 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,524 times
What school you want to go to depends on what sector you plan on going into once you graduate.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Both universities are lovely and have good reputations. They are virtually the same size and in similar sized towns. A decision on whether or not to stay and settle depends on what you are planning to do. They are both in small towns, so obviously these are not big job markets.

Oxford usually makes the lists of best places to live in the U.S, because it's a college town with a lovely historic feel, low crime, and in an area of lovely hills and forests.

Starkville is not as picturesque as Oxford but is vibrant and on the upswing with a high quality of life. The city is in transition with newly upgraded parks, downtown housing developments, investments in tasteful landscaping and signing on the commercial corridors and growing residential subdivisions.

Starkville is benefiting from proximity to neighboring Columbus, which has been recruiting an impressive list of high-tech industries.

In terms of job markets though, the best nearby place to live is probably DeSoto County, which is just south of Memphis. This is a very nice suburban county that is growing and improving with each day, and they have an impressive array of industries due to proximity to the Memphis airport.

The main benefit of Mississippi compared to neighboring states like North Carolina, Texas, Georgia and Florida is that it's both affordable and blissfully uncrowded. And the people by and large are incredibly kind. The job market is far better in those other states, so it depends on what field you choose.
Awesome thanks for the response. I've only driven through MS. I think one time stayed the night somewhere. Anyway driven through quite a few times, just along I-10 and I-20. But really liked it. Great people, beautiful, and being so affordable, seems like a really nice place to live. Just always hear so much bad about it. But then again same with Michigan, it's always ripped on and doom and gloom but MI is really a nice place to live. My only worry with MS would be the small southern town living, nothing to do, everyone's a back stabbing hypocrite gossiping Southern Baptist (been there done that in a small town in GA, my god the worst people). Not so much worried about job, but being single, just dont want to be alone and bored out of my mind.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
What school you want to go to depends on what sector you plan on going into once you graduate.
Yes I realize that, but not really a consideration for me. But most likely its going to be computers, programming or computational linguistics.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,986,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAA5000 View Post
My only worry with MS would be the small southern town living, nothing to do, everyone's a back stabbing hypocrite gossiping Southern Baptist (been there done that in a small town in GA, my god the worst people). Not so much worried about job, but being single, just dont want to be alone and bored out of my mind.
For computers and such, it's Mississippi State all the way. It'll be a small town atmosphere though, so not sure about being single. There's some of that around Starkville and Columbus, so you'll be OK.

After that, I suggest either sticking around and finding something in that area if you like it (drones are a big thing moving forward with MSU, lot of spin off companies around the area), or moving to Jackson with CSpire (coding type things are becoming big), or down to the Coast. Those will be your best bet with the single element. Logistics is HUGE in metro Memphis in the Olive Branch area, so that's a good place to look for jobs.

If you are wanting to make big money in the tech scene as it is right now, you may not be able to find that.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
Mississippi State is the better school for anything related to applied-sciences. Engineering, Architecture, Agriculture, Veterinarian.

The University of Mississippi is the better school for things like Business, Pre-Law, Pre-Med, etc. Maybe Ole Miss also gets the nod for basic humanities (English, History, Psychology, etc.).

"Computers, programming or computational linguistics" sounds more like the engineering side of computers than the Business side of computers, so based on that MSU is definitely the better of the two.

Just be aware that Starkville is a tiny city with about 25k full-time residents, and MSU has about 20k students. It's 100% a "college town". It is more or less dead during school breaks and flooded with people on home-game weekends. The surrounding area is very rural and conservative. Ole Miss is even worse.

That's the direct answer to your question. Now for the unasked question... why are you looking at either school? You appear to not be a MS resident, so therefore you'd have to pay out-of-state tuition. I'm a MSU grad (civil engineering) and think I got a very good education (IMHO), but I was in-state plus had a few other financial incentives.

You appear to be a GA resident. Wouldn't UGA or GT be more efficient from a cost standpoint?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:45 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
I'm an older non-traditional student trying to decide what college to attend to finish my bachelor's. Money isn't an issue, so wide-open to where to go. Not a super high honors student, mathlete, etc. Like I said older, non-traditional veteran transfer student with decent enough GPA. Looking mostly at schools in the south, also considering some others.

Wanted to get any opinions if Ole Miss or Miss State are good schools to consider? Part of my decision on a school is that I would 'like' to go to a school in an area I could end up liking enough to possibly stay in the area/state after school and settle.
Ole Miss/Oxford is almost like a movie set for rich southern genteel aristocracy. And to me it has some of that ambiance as well as some of the more typical liberal bent you see in flagship schools and communities.

MSU/Starkville is pretty much a "plain jane" type of good old A&M school. Not dressed up or pretentious at all.

What I like about Ole Miss, MSU (and USM for that matter) is that none of them are intimidating type places. Small, welcoming, comfortable college towns.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
Mississippi State is the better school for anything related to applied-sciences. Engineering, Architecture, Agriculture, Veterinarian.

The University of Mississippi is the better school for things like Business, Pre-Law, Pre-Med, etc. Maybe Ole Miss also gets the nod for basic humanities (English, History, Psychology, etc.).

"Computers, programming or computational linguistics" sounds more like the engineering side of computers than the Business side of computers, so based on that MSU is definitely the better of the two.

Just be aware that Starkville is a tiny city with about 25k full-time residents, and MSU has about 20k students. It's 100% a "college town". It is more or less dead during school breaks and flooded with people on home-game weekends. The surrounding area is very rural and conservative. Ole Miss is even worse.

That's the direct answer to your question. Now for the unasked question... why are you looking at either school? You appear to not be a MS resident, so therefore you'd have to pay out-of-state tuition. I'm a MSU grad (civil engineering) and think I got a very good education (IMHO), but I was in-state plus had a few other financial incentives.

You appear to be a GA resident. Wouldn't UGA or GT be more efficient from a cost standpoint?
Money isn't an issue...1. I plan to get residency wherever I go, why I said I'm looking at areas where I might consider staying, or if not I'll just move and change rez again, 2. Tuition cost not really an issue, it's covered. At least pretty much most public schools are, unless I get to like UofM or something, outrageous.

Yes a GA resident, I'm also considering UGA and Valdosta State. Love UGA, but really wouldn't mind a change of scenery. Love the south, so looking at MS, the two in GA if I stay, Uof Alabama or Auburn, and a couple in Florida. And couple schools in MI (family there). Also considering a couple out west. Starting over, don't have anything tying me down, so go somewhere to finish school end up not wanting to stay in the area, or just have to move to find work, etc. no biggie. End up back in GA, whatever...

I know all over the place but it's fine.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
Quote:
Money isn't an issue...1. I plan to get residency wherever I go, why I said I'm looking at areas where I might consider staying, or if not I'll just move and change rez again, 2. Tuition cost not really an issue, it's covered. At least pretty much most public schools are, unless I get to like UofM or something, outrageous.

Yes a GA resident, I'm also considering UGA and Valdosta State. Love UGA, but really wouldn't mind a change of scenery. Love the south, so looking at MS, the two in GA if I stay, Uof Alabama or Auburn, and a couple in Florida. And couple schools in MI (family there). Also considering a couple out west. Starting over, don't have anything tying me down, so go somewhere to finish school end up not wanting to stay in the area, or just have to move to find work, etc. no biggie. End up back in GA, whatever...

I know all over the place but it's fine.
If you qualify for admission to UGA, you probably want to go somewhere with a better reputation than State or UM. Both schools have a large number of out of state students, but that's because its kids who want to go to an SEC sports school, but can't get into TAMU, UGA, TN, etc. The Ayers Settlement (which essentially guarantees admission to anyone with a heartbeat) doomed both schools to lower end of the academic spectrum.

MSU has a vibrant veterans center and goes to great lengths to honor the military.

Last edited by viverlibre; 11-17-2019 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi