Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times

Advertisements

This article pretty much sums it up.

http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/202...ng-behind.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 01:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I read the article. I felt like that article said very little which saying alot.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:42 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Boils down to labor force participation rate. The reasons for having a low labor participation rate are pretty clearly laid out.
I don't see it turning around. It's a lot worse in some areas than others, and if you took out the delta we would probably look like a lot of other states.
Some of the comments - the low cost of living allows only one partner to work - are actually worth discussing. I mean, is that always such a bad thing?
Is it better in an area where both partners must work to live the same way we do?

Old 01-02-2024, 02:03 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
The comment section told me alot more than the actual article did. One of the comments mentioned mentioned that high school dropouts were more likely to stay in Mississippi than college-educated Mississippians. Another comment mentions that Mississippi only has opportunities based on who you know. Another story about Mississippi trying to keep the status-quo/Old South way go doing things. Reading the comment section of the article tells much more than the article itself does, for some reason.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The comment section told me alot more than the actual article did. One of the comments mentioned mentioned that high school dropouts were more likely to stay in Mississippi than college-educated Mississippians. Another comment mentions that Mississippi only has opportunities based on who you know. Another story about Mississippi trying to keep the status-quo/Old South way go doing things. Reading the comment section of the article tells much more than the article itself does, for some reason.
The JJ comments are certainly entertaining. There are some rational, well informed, meaty comments, but plenty of crazy talk too.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:39 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Leaving aside the educational points of view, the reason for Missippi being what it is year after year and day after day (and I'm a native of the state) is the Republican party, pure and simple. Or rather, it is the people in the Republican party, and the people in the state that see eye to eye w/ them and constantly vote them in. They have this mentality that poor people should suffer, so they are not ever going to do one single thing to help their own people. And yes, this is absolutely a racial thing. How many Black Republicans do you think there are in Mississippi?

From political graft that rivals Louisiana, crooked and incompetent politicians who are constantly gerrymandering voting districts, and an embedded attitude that we can't let "them" take over, these are the things define the state. And we know who them are.

I've been putting up w/ this sad legacy for 70 years and it is disgraceful. The bottom of the barrel reputation of the state is well earned and is defined by institutional racism, the mean and angry Southern Baptist church and ignorance. Like I said, it is what it is. Which is why I haven't lived in Mississippi for around 50 years. Looking at the population figures, I'm not the only one.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:43 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Every state is good at something. Mississippi has always been known for being good at being last.

As the old Texas joke says "We are 49th in many categories. What do you have to say about that, Governor?". The Governor replies "Thank God for Mississippi".

Old 01-02-2024, 04:29 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
The Wall Street Journal article is behind a paywall.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:45 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I was just watching Mississippi Burning last night and I was wondering the same thing.

To be honest, I think it's your people in power holding Mississippi back. You don't have to be liberal like California or other states, but there are many things that need to be brought out of the 1960s and into the 21st century. Expanding Medicaid, for example, or allowing abortions, or having protections for gay people. I know conservative people in Mississippi don't want to have those things, but those things are what's going to bring businesses to you and with businesses locating in the state come jobs, good paying jobs. There's also things unique to the South that need to be addressed, like a lack of accessible health care way out in the boonies for people, along with food deserts.

You need to address the problems of your poor, both white and black. When only a small percentage of your population can afford food, housing, and health care, of course your state is going to be dragged down to last place.

But, and this isn't only for Mississippi, you're going to have to change - something. Your only options are to change or do nothing. If you do nothing, nothing will change. So if things are not addressed today, or tomorrow, or the day after, in 50 years someone else is going to post the same comment about Mississippi and wonder why things are still the same in 2074 as they were in 2024. Or 1964.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:51 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
The JJ comments are certainly entertaining. There are some rational, well informed, meaty comments, but plenty of crazy talk too.
One of the JJ commenters may be one of our frequent posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi