Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:59 PM

295 posts, read 320,494 times

Advertisements

The Mississippi state flag adopted on Feb.7,1894 had a referendum on changing the design of the flag on April17,2003.
There has been alot controversy surrounding the Confederate flag and the state of Georgia re-designed their state flag but the state flag of Mississippi was adopted before the civil rights movement began yet after a vote throughout the state of Mississippi by a 3-1 margin, the citizens voted to retain their flag of 1894.
Today however, some courthouses, schools and institutions across the state refuse to fly the state flag.
One example is Grenada,MS. where at the courthouse the state flag has been replaced with a banner of the NAACP but shouldn't this be seen as some sort of reverse discrimination since all residents and even those in Grenada had a right to vote on the flag design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,912 times
Are you sure that part about the NAACP flag on the court house wasn't made up
by someone with an ulterior motive? Someone might be trying to tick you off.
The NAACP is a private organization. If that were the case they would fly an McDonald's flag so they could get paid for the advertising.

I googled the Grenada, MS Court house and got this picture.
The state flag isn't flying but no other flag has taken it's place.

Grenada County Court House on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61278305@N00/304268126/ - broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi state flag-gch.jpg  

Old 03-16-2009, 04:24 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
When I get the porch done I'll have to put up a whole row of flags - stars and bars, ol glory, miss state and gay pride - let'em figure THAT one out!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
When I get the porch done I'll have to put up a whole row of flags - stars and bars, ol glory, miss state and gay pride - let'em figure THAT one out!
You should throw in the soviet union flag to REALLY get them confused!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
There is a in our neighborhood that flies everything from the Stars and Bars to the MS Confederate state flag to the battle flags of the regiments. If I am confused after driving past his house, I come home and search the web until I figure what he has up.

He is an older man with white hair and a white beard. Every time I saw him mowing the yard I thought he looked familiar. That is until the day I saw him and a bunch of other guys in full Confederate uniforms. He is a dead ringer for General Lee.

-Robert

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,645,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
You should throw in the soviet union flag to REALLY get them confused!
If you want to really confuse them fly the Ohio state flag.
During the election Obama gave a speech in Ohio in front of the Ohio state
flag and some idiots in the news thought Obama was so egotistical he had created his own flag. These are the idiots we get our news from.
Attached Thumbnails
Mississippi state flag-ohio-state-flag.full.gif  

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
The Mississippi state flag adopted on Feb.7,1894 had a referendum on changing the design of the flag on April17,2003.
There has been alot controversy surrounding the Confederate flag and the state of Georgia re-designed their state flag but the state flag of Mississippi was adopted before the civil rights movement began yet after a vote throughout the state of Mississippi by a 3-1 margin, the citizens voted to retain their flag of 1894.
Today however, some courthouses, schools and institutions across the state refuse to fly the state flag.

That ' s ridiculous! It is the state flag!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM

59 posts, read 243,864 times
i voted to keep it

Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I see nothing wrong with ones state or country flag. Something to be proud of not frowned upon. When people cry about it being racist is alot of nonesense.

You also have a bit of our flag in your southern flag (saltire) as does the Alabama and Florida state flags.

MS state flag

http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/ms_flag.gif (broken link)

FL state flag

AL state flag

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Scottish flag

There are striking similarities, only difference is they've changed the colour..

Always be proud of your flag, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

162 posts, read 229,648 times
Almost all of the Confederate States have state flags which pertain to the Confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi