Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 AM

82 posts, read 235,628 times

Advertisements

I won't say I don't have to worry about finances. I'll be living off student loans and whatever savings I've got. This is terrifying me!

If you attend school in the summer you can actually finish in about 2 1/2 years going full time. Yes you still have to pass the bar in the state you are planning to practice, but there's no intern requirement. A lot of student will intern or work summers in a law firm or clerking to get experience. Plus there's also clinical programs that you can participate in while a 2nd and 3rd year student. This involves working with real clients on their cases. It's great first hand experience that will prepare the law student for the real world.

Right now I'm focusing on doing well on the LSAT as my first major hurdle. Although I am still working on my personal statement for my applications. This has become my nemesis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 PM

Has anyone done the drive from Atlanta's Hartfield Airport to the Oxford/Batesville area. I've decided to do this as it will be cheaper than flying into Memphis and renting a car. Google says 6 hours but curious if it takes less time and also how is the route?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
I dunno about less time, but it looks like the road should be ok. That highway goes from birmingham to memphis and is one of the main roads in that part of the state. Don't mean it will be 4 lane the whole way, though.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
You can probably make it in just over 5 hours: Atlanta to Birmingham 2 hours; Birmingham to Tupelo 2.5 hours; 1 hour Tupelo to Oxford. The part in Mississippi is all 4 lane except an area under contruction just on the west side of Tupelo. The Alabama side from Birmingham towards Tupelo may be all 4 lane by now..it's been under construction for several years. If finished, that will cut off some time.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:08 PM

152 posts, read 525,568 times
Pink Jacket...I'm an Ole Miss grad and will say I would do anything I could to move back to Oxford or the Oxford area. I can't imagine a better place to live. It has the conviences of a good size suburb but is still a relatively small town. You get outside the city limits and it gets pretty rural, pretty fast. Like I said, its got the big box stores you need but its also got great local restaurants, arts scene, music scene, etc. What you would expect from a Southern college town.

That said it is a college town. I would say the town is for either traditional college age students into the bar, greek, and football scene or families. Its safe and got great schools and is a great place to raise a family. For a 41 year old single female, it may not be all that exciting honestly. The truth is, however, if you're in law school probably gonna be pretty busy studying.

As far as academics, the law school is very well respected and they are in the process of building a new school.

I can also personally tell you about the drive from ATL since thats where I now live. I would say 5-5 1/2 hours. Its an relatively easy drive. I do it many times in the fall (like tonight) when I head over for the football games. Be careful what time you land in ATL cuz traffic can make a difference. Rush hour in ATL can add 30 mins to an hour to your commute.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:02 AM

Brett:

Thanks so much for information on Ole Miss. I grew up in a college town (Princeton) and really miss living there. I'm not so much worried about nightlife but do want some culture. As you said, being in law school won't afford me too much time for entertainment at least during the first year. I'm also thinking long term as I may want to stay in the area after school, but am not absolutely sure yet.

I'll be landing in ATL mid-morning and will be on the road before lunch so hopefully I will avoid the nasty Atlanta traffic that I hear so much about. My goal is to make it to Batesville by early evening. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a hotel in Oxford because of the football that weekend so I'll be staying over in Batesville. Although I hear the drive isn't that bad.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the school and the area. Ole Miss is my first choice for a full-time school. I was very impressed with the admissions representative I spoke with at a Miami law school and the more I read about the school the more I like it. Plus, from the pictures on the website the campus looks gorgeous. the only drawback is the weather. I haven't experienced winter weather 11 years....winter for me means 70 degrees...LOL.

Anything you think I should see while I'm there to get a "feel" for the town?

Old 10-17-2009, 02:41 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
Wikitravel has a good description of what to see and do in Oxford. For culture, you will want to see Square Books, the Ford Center, Rowan Oak (home of William Faulkner), and see the architecture along Lamar Avenue running off either side of the square and University Avenue heading into the Grove on campus.

wikitravel.org/en/Oxford_(Mississippi)

Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM

12 posts, read 29,089 times
Default Hmmm...

Someone should've told Pinkjacket that there were two happy (if no-frills) medium places between Memphis and Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson airports...

Birmingham International would've put her about 150 miles closer, and Jackson-Evers would've given her an almost dead-straight shot on I-55 to MS 6 at Batesville (primo outlet shopping, btw!)

Pinkjacket: Keep us updated on whether or not you make it into Ole Miss Law, and also apply to Mississippi College Law as well-- private, more expen$ive (I know, I've applied there and the thought of doing it w/o financial aid scares me poopless too)-- but probably looser with the purse strings, and it's also in Jackson...aka the Center of the Universe as far as Mississippi's concerned, right, poptones?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM

12 posts, read 29,089 times
And poptones has it right on the "safe = boring" equation for Starkville (where I live) and Oxford. Both are bangin' college towns, but truly very little to keep you there once you turn your tassel. With Ole Miss Law in town (and the Memphis Metro not that far away), Oxford has a bit of an edge over Starkville and is about even with Hattiesburg (home of Brett Favre State-- I mean, Southern Miss) as far as opportunities for graduates to stay in the area.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
I would agree that Oxford and Hattiesburg have an edge on Starkville after college, but I still think Jackson has the most to offer those graduating from college. There are more opportunities/options in the metro area, easier access to flights, and a lot more people to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi