Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times

Advertisements

I'm going to go with poptones here and say that sometimes it is necessary to kill an animal, and sometimes it is the humane thing to do. If you have ever lived in the country you would know there are packs of wild dogs that lure pets into the woods and kill them. They will do the same to a child if they get the chance. Where my parents live you can hear them at night. Don't think if it came to my pet or a child I wouldn't blow them away. You DO value a childs life more than an animal, right?

I don't condone the senseless abuse of animals, but sometimes it is necessary to kill them.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM

17 posts, read 75,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
There is a huge difference between Native Americans hunting and what goes on today, especially from that sad excuse for a human that suggested using strays as "game animals". The Native Americans respected the animals they hunted, thanked them for giving their life, and used up every bit of their lifeless bodies they could. Their survival depended on it. A big difference from people who kill simply for the joy of killing.

Out of all the animals I have rescued or fed, not once did I feel in danger. The starving dogs and cats responded with gratitude and ones I have kept as pets reward me daily with unconditional love and loyalty. Saying dogs revert to their wild state in a matter of days is ridiculous. Yes, packs of homeless dogs can be dangerous and all the more reason why cities and counties must provide for a proper solution to unwanted animals...so they aren't let loose to form packs.

I agree Peta goes overboard in many areas, and gives the impression to many that animal lovers are 'kooks". But they have been instrumental in helping establish animal cruelty laws, which is important. If people feel they can treat animals in any way they choose with no control or repercussions, it gives them the opportunity to do what they may not otherwise do if there were consequences to their actions. It is a documented and proven fact that people who torture or mistreat animals also exhibit abusive behavior to humans. All serial killers as children were animal abusers.

Regardless of how you feel about PETA, compassion, kindness and caring for God's helpless creatures is not kooky - I applaud all the folks who responded to this thread with those qualities. For the folks who just don't "get it"....I can only hope you evolve from the ignorance and cruelty and develop a heart for animals sometime in your life.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”....Mahatma Gandhi

I in no way equated Native American practices to classifing strays as Game animals. I really admire early Native Americans and early settlers. Did you know that one of the practices the Native americans used was to herd buffalo to the edge of a clift and drive them over the edge to their death? Do I condemm them for this? No, not at all they done what they had to to survive. I seem to remember PETA protesting a group of Alaskan Natvies for killing a whale that they were to use for their village. What about getting on to President Obama for swating a fly that was probably pestering the crap out of him.

So what is your solution for the animals already there? You just said that packs of homeless animals can be dangerous, well I hate to tell you this but they are the starving dogs too. Maybe they will respond with gratitude and just walk right to you. More realistically they will run away and guess what they can run faster than you. That means traps for a urban environment.

I just said their (PETA) efforts would be more effective if they didn't have such a far left agenda. (Standing out in front of public places naked as a Jaybird with blood all over them really helps their cause) I also said that people that were creul and had no respect for animals were just as bad.

I have invested my whole life and career (As a Wildlife Biologist) to helping create and reclaim habitat for fish and wildlife as well as the little bitty critters that they depend on. What do you do for a living?

I am also a christian and my Lord tells me to love and respect all of his creation. He also tells me to use only what I need and there is no shame in that. Even if that happens to be killing animals to use.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 28,512 times
Unhappy Local Mentality

A few weeks ago, on Hwy. 61 south of Clarksdale, MS. behind a slow moving car doing about 35, he hit a dog that I think could have been safely avoided.
No brake lights, no movement to the side etc. Car turned off on a side road and just slowly kept going. The dog was upside down having leg spasms.
Wish I could have stopped but no room to turn around.

I'm from Oregon, and the term Road Kill is common, but one wonders if that includes dogs.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
He must have had an old car or it was a small dog. If I hit a collie going 35mph in my car I'd probably be calling for a tow truck. At the very least I'd be replacing $1500 worth of cowling and bumper and maybe a couple thousand worth of air bags.

Many folks who condemn "thinning" wild and ferrel animals don't realize the danger they present to everyone else. The deer limit this year is SEVEN deer no limit on sex - the deer population is so overblown right now it's dangerous to drive 17 miles to my brother's house in the country. I've had a half dozen close calls and he's had a couple of them leap from the woods and hit his vehicle as it passes. We desperately NEED to be rid of many of these deer and a bullet or arrow can be a lot more humane than a car... at the very least it's far less expensive.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Rednecks are everywhere in this country, and things like this happen in every rural area you can find, not just Mississippi, the poster above is correct. Some people are just idiots.

Sorry there is something about the south that increases the problem.

We have been in FL two years and every week it is child abuse or animal abuse in the news.

Different breed of people down here, that you don't find up north or out west.

Lets face facts when you look at the obesity rates, the lack of education, etc...it is always higher in the southern states.

It all ties in together.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHaul View Post
A few weeks ago, on Hwy. 61 south of Clarksdale, MS. behind a slow moving car doing about 35, he hit a dog that I think could have been safely avoided.
No brake lights, no movement to the side etc. Car turned off on a side road and just slowly kept going. The dog was upside down having leg spasms.
Wish I could have stopped but no room to turn around.

I'm from Oregon, and the term Road Kill is common, but one wonders if that includes dogs.
It was done on purpose. Like I said a "different breed".

When you haven't been exposed to the Jerry Springer types it is a shock to think in 2009 we have people in this country like that.

But we do.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Ummm.. you do realize Jerry Springer is staged, right? You seem to be basing your view of reality on the social equivalent of WWE wrestling.

Maybe for balance you could watch more Maury Povich - most of his freaks come from the northeast.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Ummm.. you do realize Jerry Springer is staged, right? You seem to be basing your view of reality on the social equivalent of WWE wrestling.

Maybe for balance you could watch more Maury Povich - most of his freaks come from the northeast.
But they have all their teeth.....LOL.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
The newest show that showcases the northeast's finest is Parking Wars. Have you seen it yet poptones?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't have time for any of that crap, honestly. I see too much of it as it is without seeking out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi