Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,365 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I watch a documentary on cable TV, that said Mussoula, Mt has a "high suicide rate" and the "harsh winter" is the culprit.
They said that winter (cold days) do people get depressed.
Is it true??
I live in a sunny country and I do not understand about this "winter effect".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Missoula has issues with high alcohol addiction rates. They may play a role. There are other places in Montana that have gray winters also.

Seasonal depression has to do with angle of sun in northern latitudes during winter causing lack of body's absorption of Vitamin D. Taking Vit D supplements and having light therapy winter lighting help alleviate issues as well as getting plenty of outdoor exercise.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
To add to what HistoryFan said, people put themselves into a funk that they create and it's called cabin fever. For some reason, some folks decide that if it's cold out, you can't go outside. If there is snow on the ground, you can't go outside. In fact, during the winter there is actually just as much, if not more to do for outdoor activities. But, they stay inside their home for weeks on end and don't get out.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,310 times
Yes it is true. The problem with Missoula, from my view (after having lived there 3 years), is that it suffers from constant gray, cloudy skies during winter. The lack of sunlight has a big influence on mental health. In other Montana towns such as Bozeman, winters are still usually sunny. It makes a big difference.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Las Vegas enjoys 300 days of sunshine a year, but that hasn't done anything to halt the high suicide rate in this city! Last I read, Wyoming had the highest rate of suicide on a state level, and Nevada is the runner-up!

I've seen it! Someone wins a big jackpot here, they're hounded by strangers, friends, relatives, real estate agents, charitable organizations, Democrat and Republican fundraisers, for a slice of the cake, and overwhelmed, they shoot themselves!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
The unfortunate thing about a study like this is that it never breaks down root cause. It could be any number of reasons that cause this to happen. Alcoholism. mental disorder, frustration, hopelessness, medical, or? ???? I don t think there is really one cause and neither do the experts.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 PM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times
Risk factors for suicide that seem particualrly pertinent to Montana?

1) White or Native-American race. Both big checks in Montana
2) Rural areas. Check.
3) High rates of gun ownership. Also related to rural areas. Check.
4) Older populations. Check.
5) Limited access to mental healthcare. Check.

What you'll find is that suicide rates climb as you move further from the equator. Consistent sunlight is important, and seasonal affective disorder is a very real phenomenom. There's probably more to it than just vitamin D.

I would further venture to guess that Montana has a higher percentage of veterans than most states, as well. Vets are very high risk for suicide for a number of reasons, including potentially developing PTSD, a tendency to isolate from larger crowds, a predilection to self-medicate with alcohol if they are suffering from mental illness, etc...

Protective factors include living with others, having kids, being married, religious faith, and having social support.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Yesterday I watch a documentary on cable TV, that said Mussoula, Mt has a "high suicide rate" and the "harsh winter" is the culprit.
They said that winter (cold days) do people get depressed.
Is it true??
I live in a sunny country and I do not understand about this "winter effect".
Sure that can be true. Long winters can get very depressing and lack of sunshine can be difficult. Missoula is also a college town so I wonder if a lot of these are young people or not.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:07 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Las Vegas enjoys 300 days of sunshine a year, but that hasn't done anything to halt the high suicide rate in this city! Last I read, Wyoming had the highest rate of suicide on a state level, and Nevada is the runner-up!

I've seen it! Someone wins a big jackpot here, they're hounded by strangers, friends, relatives, real estate agents, charitable organizations, Democrat and Republican fundraisers, for a slice of the cake, and overwhelmed, they shoot themselves!
^^^ Yes, I am sure that is true although I think what is more likely is someone losing all their money gambling and committing suicide out of desperation. I think far more people lose than win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula