Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,052 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there in Missoula ever live in the South Puget Sound? Please help me decide between the two!!!

I'm fortunate to have a good job in either location so work/ money is not a decision. this is truly about quality of life and lifestyle. I'm a very active guy - biking, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, hunting, fishing, golf, skiing. Hobbies are important and both locations offer so much to do. There really is no wrong decision in my mind. Both seem great- But would greatly appreciate anything you can share from your experiences.

What would you do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM

25 posts, read 72,172 times
I grew up in Missoula and have spent a lot of time in the Seattle area. With the character traits and hobbies you describe, I'd say it's Missoula by a mile. Getting to where you want to do those outdoors things is so much easier in Missoula.

Seattle is an unbelievably beautiful and awesome city, but unfortunately it's essentially at critical mass in terms of traffic congestion. If you live in the city proper and can bike or ride transit, it's okay, but in the suburbs, you'd pretty much consign yourself to a life of sitting in traffic.

Missoula isn't a large metropolitan area, obviously. It's a very hip, lively, enlightened place with people who are genuinely keyed into their community. But it's still fairly isolated, which you may or may not like. Missoula also does have its traffic nightmares, particularly in the low-density big box corridor known as Reserve St. But most of the rest of the city is extremely bike friendly.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 AM

35 posts, read 75,882 times
I was in Missoula for a couple of months and decided not to stay for numerous reasons. It was a nice city, the people were very nice as well. I was a little disappointed in the real estate prices for sure, but I'm from the East Coast and everything out west is more than here.

If you like the amenities of the big city your choice is obvious. If you like open spaces and outdoor activities that choice is obvious. Flights are a bit pricey into Missoula and the feeling of isolation will hit you after awhile.

So outdoor activities vs. big city, that's your choice.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:43 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manni222 View Post
Anyone out there in Missoula ever live in the South Puget Sound? Please help me decide between the two!!!

I'm fortunate to have a good job in either location so work/ money is not a decision. this is truly about quality of life and lifestyle. I'm a very active guy - biking, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, hunting, fishing, golf, skiing. Hobbies are important and both locations offer so much to do. There really is no wrong decision in my mind. Both seem great- But would greatly appreciate anything you can share from your experiences.

What would you do???
I would choose the Seattle burbs, but I mean that as a complement to Seattle, not as insult to Missoula. Given your interests, you'll be very happy in both locations. It just depends on whether or not you want modern/urban amenities or not.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
I lived in SW Montana for 10 years. I recently moved back (lived here through my childhood) to the Seattle area.

For a variety of reasons...I would vote the Seattle area.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
I lived in SEATTLE (not the suburbs) for 13 years and loved it; my ex was an avid biker, my brother in law a SUPER avid biker (mountain and road), me an avid runner -- and we also skied, kayaked, hiked and camped -- and all did it easily living in the city. Again, it's all easily accessible from the city itself, so over and above cost, I'm not sure why you'd want to live in the suburbs (the 'burbs might be cheaper depending on where you are - though you seem to say that cost is not a factor). I could kayak in Lake Washington minutes from my house, drive to Puget Sound in 15 minutes, or drive elsewhere in 45-60. Same with biking . . . right out the door . . . bike friendly place with lots of trails easily accessible. I'd move to a smaller city like Missoula before living in the Seattle suburbs. Now, if you work in the suburbs but live in the city there would be the commute, which could be an issue. I always worked in the city, so I walked, ran or took the excellent public transit available (a money saver). But my ex-partner worked for Boeing and commuted to Renton every day, and it wasn't that bad. Actually, he often biked to Renton and work too. :-)

P.S - I would not consider South Puget Sound really a "suburb" of Seattle - it's a place unto itself. So, if you REALLY are SOUTH of Seattle (Tacoma, Gig Harbor), then the commute would be more daunting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula