Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM

380 posts, read 963,524 times

Advertisements

Our five-year old Afghan Hound was bitten by a snake (we're assuming Copperhead based on his symptoms) a couple of nights ago. I've never seen one but apparently he saw one in their yard and, always curious, went over to sniff it.

First day, he was obviously having joint pain, unable to easily get on to his feet. Started in the rear quarter then moved to his front end. Also noticed his throat seemed saggy. I stayed up with him all night. At one point I noticed blood on his leg hair but couldn't find a source. In the morning I noticed the swelling in his neck was much larger and saw he was having trouble swallowing. We went in to the vet hospital and blood tests ruled out tick-borne illness but did reveal dehydration, low kidney function, and very low clotting factors and then, when the vet put the thermometer in his ear, he shook his head and blood spattered everywhere. First we thought nose bleed, but then spotted the wound just under this chin.

Third day, he's still in the hospital but feeling better. They'll do blood gases again later this morning and we're hoping we can bring him home this afternoon.

Any ideas how I can protect my dogs??? We have 400 feet of chain link fence, six feet high. I keep their pen clear of debris, keep the lawn mowed. We're wondering if a 36" high run of wire with 1/4" holes would help. Can this variety of snake climb a chain link fence???

I need advice, neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Sure they can. Most likely they won't. They will just crawl through it. Little ones anyway. There is stuff you can put on your yard to keep them out.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
There is stuff you can put on your yard to keep them out.
What stuff and where do I get it?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
It's a powder that you can spread out that is supposed to repel them. I think you can get it at home improvement stores. Not sure how effective it is.

Another idea would be to put out mouse poison. Cut out their food supply and hopefully they'll go someplace else.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It's a powder that you can spread out that is supposed to repel them. I think you can get it at home improvement stores. Not sure how effective it is.

Another idea would be to put out mouse poison. Cut out their food supply and hopefully they'll go someplace else.
Ah, the danger there is the dogs getting into the mouse poison. Will was bitten while inside his 10,000 square foot, fenced exercise yard. Even if we rid that area of mice, the snakes could simply cross it while headed somewhere else, right?

Anybody heard a story about copperheads being attracted to cedar trees??

Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
Ah, the danger there is the dogs getting into the mouse poison.
You could set the poison outside the fence. Just thought the less mice, the less snakes would be around.

Quote:
Will was bitten while inside his 10,000 square foot, fenced exercise yard. Even if we rid that area of mice, the snakes could simply cross it while headed somewhere else, right?

That's true of course. I know how you feel. We had a puppy bit when I was growing up. And the thing was she stayed away from snakes ever since so that was good and she was never bitten again.

Quote:
Anybody heard a story about copperheads being attracted to cedar trees??
I've heard the same thing, but I have plenty of cedars on my place and a few spots where there's nothing but cedars and I've never spotted them there. I know down where you are the cedar trees in groups tend to grow in the more rocky areas so the rocks probably have more to do with it.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2pomona View Post
Our five-year old Afghan Hound was bitten by a snake (we're assuming Copperhead based on his symptoms) a couple of nights ago. I've never seen one but apparently he saw one in their yard and, always curious, went over to sniff it.

First day, he was obviously having joint pain, unable to easily get on to his feet. Started in the rear quarter then moved to his front end. Also noticed his throat seemed saggy. I stayed up with him all night. At one point I noticed blood on his leg hair but couldn't find a source. In the morning I noticed the swelling in his neck was much larger and saw he was having trouble swallowing. We went in to the vet hospital and blood tests ruled out tick-borne illness but did reveal dehydration, low kidney function, and very low clotting factors and then, when the vet put the thermometer in his ear, he shook his head and blood spattered everywhere. First we thought nose bleed, but then spotted the wound just under this chin.

Third day, he's still in the hospital but feeling better. They'll do blood gases again later this morning and we're hoping we can bring him home this afternoon.

Any ideas how I can protect my dogs??? We have 400 feet of chain link fence, six feet high. I keep their pen clear of debris, keep the lawn mowed. We're wondering if a 36" high run of wire with 1/4" holes would help. Can this variety of snake climb a chain link fence???

I need advice, neighbors!
You could try pigs. I am told that they will clear out all snakes, especially poisonous ones. But I know know this from personal experience.

Sorry about your dog. Glad he is going to be ok.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope he is recovering well. Beyond keeping the area well mowed, and if pigs are not an option you might try guinea hens. I've heard the adults birds are avid snake killers. An outdoor cat or two with a good hunting drive may also be of help.

Please let us know how your dog is healing...

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
So sorry to hear about your dog! I second the cat idea, we have 2 outdoor cats that do a good job of controlling the snake population.
I check them daily for snake bites and such.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Ok, I am a rather avid snake fan and have frequented another forum where this question got asked a lot so here goes.

1) Clear brush and other potential hiding spots. Double check the enclosure for rock piles etc. too.

2) The powder doesn't seem to work. Cedar trees seems to be a myth.

3) Consider getting a rubber snake and putting it in his enclosure and then condition him to leave it ALONE. pull it across on a string etc. This is probably your BEST BET.

4) Check the area immediately outside his enclosure too. You don't want rock piles etc. along a tree line close by your enclosure. This is actually good habitat for some snakes since they can warm up in the open sun in his enclosure and cool off in the shade outside the enclosure.

5) I'm assuming you are in a rural area? No way you will keep the mice population down for long with poison...do you have a bird feeder spilling seed all over the floor? Cutting down rodent food sources will definitely help. Do you have a pond etc? Frogs are on the menu too.

6) Cats will attack snakes but they can be envenomated too so this might not be an acceptable solution. Hogs or non-venemous snakes like Kingsnakes will eat copperheads, cottonmouths etc. I say this because there is a world of difference between the bite of a small copperhead and say....a larger timber rattlesnake.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri