Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM

694 posts, read 1,356,977 times

Advertisements

The following are excerpts from a paper written by Lindenwood University Gayle Anderson (student or professor unknown). Interesting reading for residents and those interested in learning about the Ozarks - link to full report at bottom. Don't personally agree with everything in the report, but overall, it offers some good information. (I am also curious - numerous times the author refers to something like the "people of the ozarks" using a small letter o. In other places, the author uses the capital O, like I am used to seeing. Considering this is a college paper, I am assuming the small o in the context used is proper usage, but I have never seen it that way? Is it proper? Did I miss something in school?

"Jameson (1990) attributes the lack of Native American settlements in the region during this time period to the possibility that Native Americans may have viewed the area with awe and fear due to the belief that the Ozarks were populated by demons. Some may have similar perceptions even today."

"Jameson (1990) is quoted, “In history, folklore, culture, and geography, the Ozark Mountains have been described as “remote,” “secluded,” “dark,” “forbidding,” “lawless,” “dangerous,” and “mysterious.”"

"Blevins (1969) referred to the Appalachian Region as the motherland of the ozarks and is permeated with many of the same image problems. However, despite the perpetual pop – culture stereotypical depiction of the poor uneducated and backward hillbilly, Ozarkers’ socioeconomic statuses and cultural experiences vary greatly like any other region of the United States (Blevins, 1969)."

"Books about the region, newspaper articles, and a limited number of journal articles about Ozark culture have described traits that characterize many people of the ozarks. The author will present only a handful of these characteristics. Of course it is important to recognize that these and other traits cannot be generalized to all people of the ozarks.

Privacy is paramount. However, Ozarkers are generally very social in nature (Gilmore, 1984). These apparently contradicting ideals fit the hilly topography of the land quite well. ..... The traditional lifestyle of Ozark people can be quite clannish in nature. ....

A second trait that many Ozarkers possess regards an inherent mistrust of outsiders. Although generally polite and friendly, people of the ozarks are extremely guarded when around strangers.

Third, Ozarkers typically love to tell stories, jokes, and “talk your leg off.” ....
Randolph (1941) described Ozark speech patterns as musical, soothing, and containing many unusual words and phrases. Further, conversations are often quite complex – rich in metaphor, allegory, symbolism, double meaning, and innuendo. The combination of living an introverted existence along with being extroverted when around others is one hallmark of many Ozarkers....

Tourism (Martin, 2007) and a constant flow of outsiders moving in and natives moving out (Blevins, 2000) has changed the social and cultural landscape significantly. However, many of the more remote and poverty stricken areas still retain much of the flavor of Ozarkers akin to earlier times. Admittedly, Ozark culture has been diluted because of outside influences and the lack of opportunity in small rural towns. Further, the recent mass relocation and assimilation of Ozark people into city and suburban areas has wreaked havoc on the culture. However, many of these character traits are very much alive today in varying degrees in transplanted Ozarkers as well as current residents of the region.

It has been suggested that deeply ingrained cultural influences. Many Ozarkers possess (a) a need for privacy, (b) close social ties with family and friends, (c) uncompromising support even when wrong, (d) an inherent mistrust of strangers, (e) the need to tell stories, and (f) most of all laugh will be imbedded in the descendants of Ozark natives for generations to come (Center For Linguistic And Cultural Competence In Health Care, 1995).

Counseling Ozarkers

Some good stuff in here OB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM

40 posts, read 73,367 times
Great post Dave, thanks. I have also really enjoyed hitting the various historical societies in my area and they have traced the history of my farm back to before the civil war (I am a civil war buff) as well as provided us with confirmation of much of what you posted. We not only appreciate the people and culture of this area we respect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: