Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:28 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,821 times

Advertisements

Here I am again, I know but I just have to know all I can about these scary tornado tales. Is it a highly reccomended must to have a basement? Does A basement protect you? I think it would give me peace of mind. I hate Calif I want out. I cant speak spanish. I want a nice place to raise my kids and feel at home. An old fashion home feel. I want to feel safe, ride my quads and bake pies. I want to sit on a humid porch at night and here country songs. No more sirens every 20 minutes, no more gun shots, NO MORE MARIACHI MUSIC!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Wink Basements, tornados & other worries...

Bentaxle...you are so ME...13 years ago.
I'll tell you...when I got to Missouri I cried every day for 2 weeks as the tension slowly abated.
Every time I saw the ozarkian wave, or somebody's car running in the parking lot at the post office, or the lack of locks on the lockers at the high school, I cried.
As I realized...I don't have to be afraid any more.
You're gonna be ok.
Basements are fine...but I lived 7 years in Springfield without one.
Walkout basements are awesome...but ya gotta get into some rolling hill country.
I'll write more later...just got off work & the lake is callin my name...

Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Yes!!! You must, absolutely MUST, have a basement - otherwise,,, you will DIE!!!
Die, I say, as that funnel twists your poor deprived body from the ruins!!!
MAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Ok, sorry,,, just kidding... durn them Blue Moon beers I had w/ my venison sausage, cheese, and crackers for dinner...

Seriously, as that flat water lady said, it be nice, but a necessity?, not really. They are indeed safer [all other factors being equal], but,,, you can find safety in a sturdy room/closet in main/lower level. Key is to be prepared and aware. So, if have a home w/o a basement, recommendations is to have some supplies, such as light, radio, water, food, etc. nearby, along with a large pillow or even a metal trash can lid, and then hanker down into the first floor bathroom, and maybe even the bathtub itself, holding the trashcan [hopefully a clean one ] over your head. Of course, if there be multiple people, need to flip coin, draw straws, or go on the seniority system... in any case, just have stuff ready, accessible, and DO NOT PANIC!!! Other recommendation, esp. if your bathroom is in a corner facing the direction the twister is coming from, go into an interior hallway/closet/room - one that is as far away from the exterior walls, fewer windows, and tighter area.

All teasing and fun aside [for now ], you will be just fine. Welcome to Missouri!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
So, if have a home w/o a basement, recommendations is to have some supplies, such as light, radio, water, food, etc. nearby, along with a large pillow or even a metal trash can lid, and then hanker down into the first floor bathroom, and maybe even the bathtub itself, holding the trashcan [hopefully a clean one ] over your head.
OK, call me stupid... I think I get the rest of it, but what's the point of holding a trash can over your head? I suppose you mean a metal one to protect your head? Do you really DO that? I never heard of that being done.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,712 times
You may not ever need your basement for escape from a tornado, but you might definitely need it for resale! Many folks in this area expect a basement in a home, and when you go to sell your home you will be happy you have a basement. I can't tell you how many folks won't consider a home unless it has a basement. So, while you may never need it to escape a tornado, you may need it to eventually sell your home. Plus, that's one of the many great things about living in the midwest - BASEMENTS! (How did I live on a slab in Texas for 11 years????).

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,821 times
I think Ive just fallen in love with all y'all. Thanks for the welcome. See you in a year if not sooner.
Sincerely, The bent axle crew.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
my wifey wouldn't even look at a house unless it had a basement when we moved here. I have a little safe zone set up in there for her, daughter and our pooches. Me, I'm in the middle of the driveway when these wicked storms hit because they are just too cool to watch and quite frankly, I'm just not a very bright person.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
OK, call me stupid... I think I get the rest of it, but what's the point of holding a trash can over your head? I suppose you mean a metal one to protect your head? Do you really DO that? I never heard of that being done.
Well, in my haste to type, I semi-repeated what I had typed a couple lines above that which you quoted - "metal trash can lid". Now, do I, me, myself do such? pfffffffftttt... Heck no - I'm the crazy goofy goober standing out side, taking pictures! Anyhow, don't matter/care what is placed above your ['your' used here in the general terminology, not 'your' as in 'your's' ] noggin, main point it to try, if at all feasible, to try to put something over the brain cradle, so the eyes, ears, and bundle of grey matter is protected, as much as possible, from flying debris, squirrels, limbs, children, glass shards, food, whatever...

BTW, come to the Ozarks [as the sounds of banjos play in the air,,,], and we can maybe show ya many different ways to do some things...

Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Basement? What are those? Hmmmmm. Wish I had one. Not so much as to protect me and mine, so much as for aforementioned resale value.

But getting back to the basement question...when my sons were younger, we used to have drills here at home. Durn school system suggested such. No basement as mentioned above, so told boys to hide under my antique, heavy, big, etc. roll top desk. Then we thought of the downstairs bathroom. Our house is a split foyer type, so 'back' of house is nestled into one of those fine Missouri gently sloping hillsides that I so often talk about in my business. Whoops, I am getting carried away here...

Have never been terrified of storms, tornadoes, etc. while living here for the past 3 plus decades. Have taken sons to the 'top of the hill' as we call it and watched the storms come our way. Or go over to our lakefront lot and watch the white caps play upon the dark waters during a thunderstorm. It is an experience residing in these parts.

Weather is constantly changing and you eventually find yourself looking forward, well, almost, to sudden changes. It is exciting at the least.

You don't need a basement, but they are nice to have for storing your son's belongings that they so conveniently leave behind when they embark upon their quest in search of adventure in the nether regions of our great country.

Just find a BIG piece of furniture to hide under when ya feels like being protected from the periodic twisters. Good luck and enjoy

Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Here I am again, I know but I just have to know all I can about these scary tornado tales. Is it a highly reccomended must to have a basement? Does A basement protect you? I think it would give me peace of mind. I hate Calif I want out. I cant speak spanish. I want a nice place to raise my kids and feel at home. An old fashion home feel. I want to feel safe, ride my quads and bake pies. I want to sit on a humid porch at night and here country songs. No more sirens every 20 minutes, no more gun shots, NO MORE MARIACHI MUSIC!!!
OMG!!!

I've now reread this post, mainly that which is bolded within the first sentence...

And it has now come to my attention [granted, the brain cells w/in this noggin are being deprived, or is it depraved of sleep, so, my attention may not be the same as the average monkey ], that either:

a) tornados are telling scary tales
,,,or,,,
b) scary tornados have tales

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri