Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,550 times

Advertisements

where would you go and why?

I love Branson ...........but I dont want the fuss of it.... but where would you go and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:12 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
I wish I could go to Springfield this weekend! We had planned to drive up there from New Orleans, but just don't have enough time between Thursday and Sunday to do it and have fun at the same time.

I would not be looking for entertainment, so much as learning more about Springfield since I am thinking of retiring there.

If I could go to Springfield, I'd go to the Bass Pro shop again and spend a lot more time there. Then I'd check out the "thow'd rolls" at Lamberts, since I have never been to that restaurant! Also there is an intriguing Italian restaurant in Springfield that I would like to check out, since I love Italian food. I forgot the name of it, though. I would recognize it if I heard it. And I have heard that Hemingways at the Bass Pro shop is pretty good as well.

I would check out the antique stores more, since I have only been to one (a big one like a flea market that I believe was on Glenstone).

Also, I would go for a walk on the walking paths to see if that was fun. I know it is hot, but they might be shaded and they still might be fun. I would drop into a couple of gyms to see what they are like and which one might suit me the best. That might reveal some advantages to living nearby instead of on the other side of town.

Maybe I would walk around Drury and see if non-students like me could browse in the library or maybe even buy a library card.

I would definitely check out that lake just NW of town but close by. Maybe we could have a picnic and fish for a while, depending on what it is like.

There is so much to do! And then, oh my, I have NEVER been to Joplin! That would be a whole new exploration.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Few choices, in no particular order:

StL - play in Grant's Farm and then Forest Park, snack at Ted Drew's, go up in the Arch, eat some tasty Italian on The Hill, and then party at The Landing...

Ozarks - Loop around Taum Sauk Mtn, taking in various springs [Big, Blue, etc.], bounce upon Elephant Rocks, drive along the beautiful Arcadia valley, play in the various Shut-In's,

Float on the Jack's or 11 Point River; camp on gravel bar, cook the freshly caught fish, enjoy some sweet tea and microbrew, gaze at the stars flickering above the whispering trees, as sounds of ma nature, the crackle of the fire, and the nearby stream rock ya to sleep...

Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,654 times
Talking Anywhere in Mo for the weekend...

Spend Saturday roaming around Hermann...do the wine tours. Get up Sunday morning and do St. Charles County. Wine. Wine. And more wine!

Or just stay home...it's so cool with the lake in your back yard.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Bezz View Post
Spend Saturday roaming around Hermann...do the wine tours. Get up Sunday morning and do St. Charles County. Wine. Wine. And more wine!

,,,snip,,,
Good grief... do ya want some cheese and crackers to go with all that wine???

j/k

As a wine lover to another, oh yea... MO has some great wineries!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Good grief... do ya want some cheese and crackers to go with all that wine???

j/k

As a wine lover to another, oh yea... MO has some great wineries!!
On the Illinois side there is a winery in Grafton Illinois it makes a Illini White
its a semi sweet .. very crisp .. love it must have for all wine lovers! its down on the river as well in a cute little house!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Few choices, in no particular order:

StL - play in Grant's Farm and then Forest Park, snack at Ted Drew's, go up in the Arch, eat some tasty Italian on The Hill, and then party at The Landing...
too close to home for me ... its a daily seen for me as well

Ozarks - Loop around Taum Sauk Mtn, taking in various springs [Big, Blue, etc.], bounce upon Elephant Rocks, drive along the beautiful Arcadia valley, play in the various Shut-In's, Tell me more???? Elephant Rocks? shut- ins?????

Float on the Jack's or 11 Point River; camp on gravel bar, cook the freshly caught fish, enjoy some sweet tea and microbrew, gaze at the stars flickering above the whispering trees, as sounds of ma nature, the crackle of the fire, and the nearby stream rock ya to sleep...
Lots of ideas .. I posted in color ..my thoughts ... do tell more about ozark

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,654 times
You bet, Shadowcaver...cheese and crackers and fruit and perhaps some pate'...the restaurant at Stone Hill Winery in Hermann makes their own pate' & it's amazing.
After all, sweetie, I grew up in Sonoma County.
Proud to admit I'm a wino...come by it naturally!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 AM

Try Monticello's I think that is the name .........ahhh it was very nice atmosphere!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Lots of ideas .. I posted in color ..my thoughts ... do tell more about ozark
StL - silly,,, you asked what I would do! And even tho' was born there, have been there, done that, still love it!

Ozarks - yea, there are a number of what are called 'shut-ins' in the area near and around Taum Sauk Mtn [our highest point, at ~1772', if recall correctly]. These shut-ins are places where the flowing streams have hit and then carved quite intricate/cool gulley's, pools, gorges, etc. into the harder igneous [errr,,, sorry, volcano-type] rocks. Johnson is the most famous and most visited. Another of my favourite's is Castor, near Fredericktown [and is MO's only pink granite rock shut-in - very ]. Might check, as Johnson may have limited availability - as still recovering from the flood from when the lake upon Taum Sauk came down.

Here, just found this update:
News Release 278 - MoDNR
from
Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park - General Information - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, MoDNR (http://www.mostateparks.com/jshutins/geninfo.htm - broken link)

Won't go into the flood here...

As to the wineries, since grew up ~30 minutes from Hermann, have lots of fond memories - Oktoberfest, Mayfest, and just cool weekends therein. lol, even floated by there once on the Missouri River...

Oh, forgot to add about Elephant Rocks: Elephant Rocks State Park - General Information - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, MoDNR
Very place - esp. w/ a blue sky, can get some interesting photos, and then as the sun falls,,,

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-03-2007 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri