Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM

47 posts, read 243,508 times

Advertisements

Where can I get some honest advice on buying real estate in these 2 areas or any other comparable areas on Lake of Ozarks? We want to buy a lakefront home to retire in---I think it is a slow market right now--even a buyers market but my agent tells me that the prices are correct. Also anybody out there--can you also tell me what winters are like? I know last winter was unusually cold but what can I expect from a normal winter.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM

I can't believe that no one has any info??????????????
Please help!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Not my area...

I'm sorry no one from that area has responded...I can give you the name of a woman I met at a GRI class that was awesome.
Mary Lou Stone. She's the broker at Realty Works at the Lake. You can find her at Lake Ozark real estate, Realty Works, Lake Ozark Missouri property for sale.
I really liked her!
Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Wink Oops.

Oh, I see by re-reading your post that you HAVE an agent, sorry.
You don't feel like your agent is being honest with you? I'm really sorry.

Good Luck with the lake shopping...it's a gas.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 AM

I have no alliegance to any agent--I just need some honest answers about lakeshore real estate!

..also was last winter exceptional? I am from Minnesota and it seems like last winter yours was worse than ours! It scared my husband from moving! I had hiom convinced but now I'm trying to coax him back to my way of thinking! He wants to move to Florida--and I prefer lake of Ozarks.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM

48 posts, read 139,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1025 View Post
I have no alliegance to any agent--I just need some honest answers about lakeshore real estate!

..also was last winter exceptional? I am from Minnesota and it seems like last winter yours was worse than ours! It scared my husband from moving! I had hiom convinced but now I'm trying to coax him back to my way of thinking! He wants to move to Florida--and I prefer lake of Ozarks.
Well I grew up around the lake. I am sure you are aware of the dangers of boating and being on the water on that particular lake so I won't go into detail about that. If you want more info on the nearly triple digit boating deaths from this year alone, google it and check it out for yourself.
That being said, the lake is all about location, location, location. What is your purpose for moving there? Boating? Privacy? Amenities like shopping or eating out? If you want to boat but dont' plan on buying a 30-35 foot or larger boat, then you need to buy somewhere way out, like Laurie, Camdenton, Old Kinderhook, Hurricane Deck, etc... This will put you at least about a 20 minute drive to the outlet mall area, but at least you can get your boat out without fear of imminent death. Some people dont' care about being close to the action, so that suits them just fine. Also, something to consider is if you will be a full time resident, you can pretty much get your boat out anytime you want during the week and then keep it docked on the weekends, when all the crazies are out.
North Shore is very popular right now, some decents buys there if you act quick. you will pay the most for Four Seasons area/Porto Cima/Shawnee Bend. Four Seasons would be my pick so then you won't have to worry about the bridge or overpaying for your lakefront lot. Plus if your place is in Four Seasons(HH area) then you get to use Four Seasons ammenities, which is a huge plus. No one makes any money on condo's so unless your planning on staying put and want maintenance free living, opt for a house. IMO, prices are still way too high at the Lake. That is because they purchased them overpriced, and now can't sell even for what they paid. The good news is, The lake is becoming totally self sufficient in shopping and services. I think they have about everything now, plus some fabulous restaurants! Hope that helped some! Good luck!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl1025 View Post
LAST WINTER WAS EXCEPTIONAL!!!
The January Ice Storm broke all records.
March was the warmest March in 100 years.
Then the freeze in April...
Last winter was definitely exceptionally bad.

I know several people who had to go through that as their first winter.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 AM

48 posts, read 139,751 times
I forgot to tell you about winters. They are like everywhere else in central MO, unpredictable. It can be mild, with temps in the teens and a few ice or sleet storms, or it can be more severe with 2 or 3 snow storms and a few weeks in the single digits. The good news is, January is the worst. February gets better and by March you have forgotten all about it.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
LAST WINTER WAS EXCEPTIONAL!!!
The January Ice Storm broke all records.
March was the warmest March in 100 years.
Then the freeze in April...
Last winter was definitely exceptionally bad.

I know several people who had to go through that as their first winter.
Actually, the average winter temperatures were above normal in areas of western Missouri and eastern Kansas last winter. It was no worse than any usual winter in terms of temperatures. The ice storm was bad for southern Missouri, but the areas that got the heaviest winter snow did not cover a very big area. The winters in Missouri and Kansas are much warmer now compared to a few decades ago. It was not uncommon in the 70s and 80s for low temperatures to drop below -10F or even lower than -15F. I do not mind the cold at all, but can not stand the heat and humidity.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Northern Missouri has the coldest climate in the state with weather similar to the southern 1/4 of Iowa. Central Missouri is more mild with a 4 season climate and fairly mild winters. Southern Missouri also has 4 seasons, but is milder than all other areas of the state with the exception of southeast Missouri. Local affects like urban heat islands make the bigger cities like KC and STL warmer than surrounding rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri