Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 AM

116 posts, read 445,428 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been thinking about moving to the south or midwest the past couple of years and I believe I have decided on Missouri. I need help with a few things and it is hard to get some straight answers from real estate agents. First I am a single dad with kids ages 9,11 and 12, I live here in philadelphia pa. I am looking to slow things down a bit, find a good school system and get into a smaller town. I would like to if possible to find a home for around 40-60k and pay for it in cash hopefully have it in move in condition. And also what are the prospects as far as employment. My experience is in management and sales. If anyone can help me out with some information I would greatly appreaciate it. Thanks for your time all it is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 10:03 AM

871 posts, read 1,985,887 times
There is a lot of helpful people on this forum. I know you will not be dissapointed! Lake Junkie and Northwoods Voyager are two good peoples to talk to. Very knowledgable about the areas. The more you talk to these two and many others, the more you will want to stay! In Mo that is.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

318 posts, read 727,370 times
Have you any paticular area you think you are interested in?

Missouri is a great place to live for our family. We moved here a little over 2 years ago from CA. We live in the Springfield area. We live in a smaller town of Strafford. Love the schools. Not much in the town except a few banks, gas stations, 1 grocercy store, couple fast food places. We travel into Springfield or Marshfield for neccessities we are unable to get here. We don't mind the travel as we love living in the country.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,809 times
i sent u a pm

Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM

116 posts, read 445,428 times
Thanks, I think that is exactly what I am looking for, to live in a small town with a larger one 10-20 miles away to do any shopping and such.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,062,299 times
First, welcome to virtual Missouri

Second, I'd suggest looking at employment first, in a couple particular areas that you have narrowed down to. For your skills in management/sales, the larger the city, of course the more opportunities [theoretically! ] there should be - however, you could find the 'right' thing in a smaller burb also. Luck of the draw & timing, plus determination... Have ya checked out the local online papers for the various cities you might be interested in, along with, for example, monster.com, to check on employment opportunities?

Third, going by your moniker, I am imaging that you also like the fastest game on ice? If you have desire to live near a town that has such, might keep that in mind too. StL, KC, and Springfield all have various levels of hockey. Besides hockey, are there any other hobbies, cultures, recreation, etc. that yas like to do?

Also, if you desire to have quicker/easier/cheaper travels [auto, bus, plane, or train] to any other particular location, to visit, for example PA on occasion, might also think about that, as to what city/area might be better fit for yas.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,348 times
You can't beat Missouri. Especially southern Mo. Lived here all my life. The cost of living pretty well matches job pay. I taught school in West Plains, Mo. 30 plus years and found the pay well in proportion to the cost of living. Mild winters and warm summers.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:17 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sharp View Post
You can't beat Missouri. Especially southern Mo. Lived here all my life. The cost of living pretty well matches job pay. I taught school in West Plains, Mo. 30 plus years and found the pay well in proportion to the cost of living. Mild winters and warm summers.
Interesting thanks for the tip .. I am actually considering going back to school ........ umm and finishing what I started .. Teaching!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,384,031 times
Wink Straight Answers...step right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut View Post
Hi, I have been thinking about moving to the south or midwest the past couple of years and I believe I have decided on Missouri. I need help with a few things and it is hard to get some straight answers from real estate agents. First I am a single dad with kids ages 9,11 and 12, I live here in philadelphia pa. I am looking to slow things down a bit, find a good school system and get into a smaller town. I would like to if possible to find a home for around 40-60k and pay for it in cash hopefully have it in move in condition. And also what are the prospects as far as employment. My experience is in management and sales. If anyone can help me out with some information I would greatly appreaciate it. Thanks for your time all it is very much appreciated.
Hey hockeynut...just curious...what kinds of questions are you having trouble getting straight answers to?

That would help...

Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 45,424 times
well I moved to Missouri from Alaska about 4 years ago and before we decided on Missouri we traveled thru 5 other states looking around and compareing them. There are a few rules that you should keep in mind about moveing anywhere.

Never rely on any chamber of commerce or tourist information area. If they told you the truth on anything they would quickly be fired. Their job is to sell that community not to be your agent in finding information about that area. personally the only thing I have ever found them usefull for is getting maps and travel information. otherwise drive right on by and never rely on any information they give you.

Real estate agents will very a lot in their local knowlage and willingness to find you a place. But because of anti redlineing rules they cannot tell you a place has problems. like garrison kielers mythical town where all the kids are above average they can't tell you if a area is high crime, a economic disaster area, etc. It isnt their choice but is imposed upon them so you have to read between the lines. Fixer upper means the best use for the place is kindleing etc.

police departments can't tell you the true story about crime because if they do the local stores and businesses and their elected officials will come down and raise hell with them and remember these guys work for them and not for you.

Try REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale but remember about the realtor descriptions.

after useing realtor.com to find some areas to check out plan on spending a few days in a area to see what its like. go to cafes in the early morning and drink some coffee with the bored seniors especially the grouchy geezers. buy their coffee and even breckfast and explain your looking at possibly moveing to this area. These guys have all the time in the world and such a bad outlook on life that the locals try to stay well clear of them but they can tell you about any problem that has occered in that area for the last 50 years. use their expertise to balance the bs given out by the chamber of commerce types.

Go to the local police station some friday or saturday night and simply sit in their office for a couple of hours. If a city is trying to get some federal grant to fight crime they will inflate crime stats to get the grant if they are trying to calm employers or investers who might want to spend money in a area they will minimize any crime in a area but they cant hide dispatchers calls. or arrests. I once spent a couple hours in a small arkansas town and after that I locked my car doors and drove out of town as fast as I could.

The best way to find a bad area or neighborhood is to take a cab. Cab drivers know everything! and unlike others have no reason to hide it. Simply explain you are thinking of moveing to the area and will pay the hourly rate for a couple hour tour of the worst and best areas of the town. you can instantly be shown every crack house, thief, speed trap etc in the area at a very reasonable cost.

We ended up buying a 17 acre place with a house in a area with good schools for 80k but that came after 2 weeks of searching this area and being told we wouldnt be able to get even a shack for twice as much by all the local realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri