Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Walmart of course lol that place has everything!

Hun you get hit by an ice storm ....... your gonna need more than flannel sheets and a quilt ........ last year we had the generator going and the temps hit low low ......we had 2 quilts on our beds and a comforter .. the warm sheets .. and I was wearing sweats and dh army wool socks .. and my hoodie with the hood up ....dh says I have ice in my blood (haaaaa)

but ice storms were a freak thing this last year .. we were hit by 2 and a tornado so we were without power for about 3 weeks.
oh then our water line broke ..........fun fun ... we had a $500 water bill from our water gushing out under the ground and we didnt see it because of the year before there was no water so the water never came to the surface ..... but showed up in our chicken house ....talk about a mess!
Duh Wally World... Why didn't I think of that

Ummm will my feeties jammies work Talk about romantic sweats, wool socks gosh have yah figure out that you could be naked and use eachother warmth. Oh never mind your like ice cube LOL LOL I put yah in the other room.I guessing I need long underwear,fleece and all them warm stuff. I better stock up... That is gonna be costly for me and the whole family. What should I do???? Oh OH I got four sleeping bags. Would that work??

Tornadoes in the Winter time too?

Yikes that sure is a high water bill. I hope you got some good crop from that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Bump No answer huh??? sure is quite in here

Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Duh Wally World... Why didn't I think of that

Ummm will my feeties jammies work Talk about romantic sweats, wool socks gosh have yah figure out that you could be naked and use eachother warmth. Oh never mind your like ice cube LOL LOL I put yah in the other room.I guessing I need long underwear,fleece and all them warm stuff. I better stock up... That is gonna be costly for me and the whole family. What should I do???? Oh OH I got four sleeping bags. Would that work??

Tornadoes in the Winter time too?

Yikes that sure is a high water bill. I hope you got some good crop from that
Ya gotta have the mix of warm and cool air to get the tornados

ya wont have to stock up but your girls sure will be excited when that snow comes down ... (remember the site I sent you to... go post there !!!)

If its cold Its cold and when the power went off .. out here was bad because we were even blocked in .. a semi was going to a farm and slide on the ice and blocked out road .. so no leaving we dont have a wood burner ... so we bundled up and walked over to my aunts home!
nothing like watching the birds freeze to the trees
and your 80 year old aunt and uncle crying over it
they have a wood burner .....and we had brooms knocking birds out of the trees all day! fun fun

Ice storms are a fluke thing .. we get some warning ...
the first thing stores sell out of are
oil lams and oil and wics!
generators
candles
all camping supplies

Just to give ya some ideas

Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM

145 posts, read 655,837 times
Er, with the wide range of temps we get throughout the winter, it is entirely (though not terribly likely) possible to get a tornado in the winter. It happened in Lebanon (MO) when I was living there; it was the middle of February and we--get this--got a tornado followed by snow! There was a picture on the front page of the paper of a house (two down from my g-ma) where the roof had been torn off and there was snow all over the remaining furniture and wares inside the house.
Mind you, it is VERY rare, but it CAN and HAS happened
Also, the ice storms don't always carry a warning, but they are getting much better at it . They are far worse than snowstorms and you can be without power for a LONG time (many people in Lebanon this past winter can tell you of being without for up to 12 days). I'd much rather do snow any day than ice.
When we do get snow, it is rarely ever predicted correctly, though they do try, bless 'em. Be wary of the "30% chance"--nearly every time we got a "dumping" of snow (12+ inches within a couple of hours), it was predicted as this, and not nearly so many inches (maybe that was only a Springfield thing, hard to say lol).
Last thing: if it snows or ices during the few days before C-mas, do not think of going anywhere unless it is a life-or-death need; just trust me from experience on this one (some Springfield-ians might recall the wonderful 23rd of Dec from a few years back...)

Old 09-17-2007, 01:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
Something else to consider ............ if your home has a medical reason to have power - Make sure your electric company knows this in advance!!

I have a daycare and 5 of the 8 kids are on nebulizing treatments .... non on a regular basis ..........but the day they decided to replace lines I didnt get a warning and I needed the nebulizer! ...
Also in a power outage such as lines down / frozen etc ....... they do try to work with those who NEED first.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM

Ok I let some steam off for now for that thread being closed because of me. I didn't want to start anothes thread so it gets closed again. I don't know if you all getting cold weather here in Missouri. It sure has been cold but beautiful outside. I was wondering if anyone know when we would get snow here at the Northern part of Missouri? and what do think would be needed? I am thinking I should have sleepin bags in the car, flashlights,water and beef jerky in the car just in case I get stranded in the cold or snow weather. Am I missing anything? Remember you all I was born and raised in Cali and lived in NC.... I have never been in really cold weather longer than a week beside being in the mountain for week in snow. So got any tips?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
Lots of people carry kitty litter or sand in their car to help with traction if your tires are slipping. And beware of "black ice"-a very thin layer of ice that you can't see easily because the pavement shows through. If it is very cold, and the road looks shiny, SLOW DOWN. Bridges and overpasses and on-off ramps ice quicker than roads. I highly recommend a front-wheel or all-wheel drive car-my 1987 Thunderbird got stuck in 1/2 inch of snow if it was on an incline. Don't fear the snow and ice, just respect it and use common sense. If the forcast is bad, stock up and stay put

Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Lots of people carry kitty litter or sand in their car to help with traction if your tires are slipping. And beware of "black ice"-a very thin layer of ice that you can't see easily because the pavement shows through. If it is very cold, and the road looks shiny, SLOW DOWN. Bridges and overpasses and on-off ramps ice quicker than roads. I highly recommend a front-wheel or all-wheel drive car-my 1987 Thunderbird got stuck in 1/2 inch of snow if it was on an incline. Don't fear the snow and ice, just respect it and use common sense. If the forcast is bad, stock up and stay put
so how do I go about putting this kitty litter on my tires while I am driving?How do this work? Stuck in ditch What?I am thinking about getting an all wheel drive. Not sure yet.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM

I work in a hospital-here are a few rules for those over 35 during winter:
1. Unless you run marathons, do not attempt to shovel 14 inches of wet snow off your driveway in one afternoon. Good way to induce a heart attack.
2. Ditto for chopping 6 ricks of wood using a monster maul
3. Hold the railing when the porch steps are slick. It's not worth a busted tailbone and wrist just to get the paper. Train the dog to do it.
4. Sledding is fun, but child-size sleds tip easily when a grown up uses them. Can you afford to lose work for a concussion?
5.Never hang Christmas decor when you are home alone. At least have a small child present who can dial 911.
6. Teach your wife to use the 4x4. She may have to drive when you ignore the previous rules.

Have a happy, fun and SAFE winter!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
so how do I go about putting this kitty litter on my tires while I am driving?How do this work? Stuck in ditch What?I am thinking about getting an all wheel drive. Not sure yet.
When the tires start to spin and you are going nowhere (driveway, stop sign, parking lot) you get out, take your camp shovel and kitty litter out of the trunk, dig out around the tire that is spinning and pour kitty litter around and under the tire. This gives it traction when you get back in and gun the motor. If you are stuck in a ditch your best tool is a $20.00 bill-to give to the guy with the 4-wheel drive that stops to pull you out. If you live in a rural area, I recommend buying a tow strap made for this purpose just in case the neighbor doesn't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: