Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 37,855 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. Looking at mayhaps moving to the Poplar Bluff area this year. I'm originally from Hannibal in NEMO, enlisted in USAF for 20 years, retired from that for 15 years, both of us are college educated (wife is Nurse Practitioner and I am currently Condo Manager) and living in Florida Panhandle. Sick of this area for the most part and looking for a change. What is job outlook for manager's (any type) in the area and what hospitals are local or within 30-40 minute drive. Wife has lead on NP job. My brother lived in Iron County for awhile and man I do not want to live in that type of environment. Very depressed and depressing. Not afraid of cold, snow, etc. Love mushroom hunting, deer (and other four-legged critters) hunting, fishing, woods, lakes, rivers, you know...all the MO stuff. Just need some candid inputs. Thanks!!

Last edited by treborenal; 04-23-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Poplar Bluff is probably not so good, but you could check into it. Your best bet for getting a management job in the region would be Cape Girardeau, MO or Jonesboro, AR. Don't get me wrong Poplar Bluff is a nice enough town, but it isn't for everyone. You can do plenty of hunting and fishing around there though. Otter Slough and Duck Creek Conservation areas are within a short drive and both are absolutely unique in the state of Missouri. Exploring them will give you a feel for what the entire Bootheel looked like before it was drained and turned into farm ground.

There is a hospital in Poplar Bluff (Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center) and Sikeston (Missouri Delta Medical Center) which is about a 45 minute drive from Poplar Bluff. Cape Girardeau has two major hospitals and it is located about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Why did you find Iron County depressing? It has some of the best natural beauty in the entire state. I assume you are talking about the economic situation (correct me if I'm wrong). Honestly the entire Bootheel and surrounding areas in bordering states have taken a huge hit economically over the past two years.

Maybe elaborate more on the environment you are trying to avoid, but the economy is poor all over the Bootheel in my opinion with the exception of Cape Girardeau & Jackson.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info Gunner. We are looking at Cape also as well as STL. Much of it depends on where I can find decent employment. We like the woods but wanna be close to town also or even a large lot in town and some separate woodlands outside the city limits. We are just beginning our research and your input is much appreciated.

Iron City is where my brother met his wife (too young) and had kids(too young) and they all turned on him as well as the locals because he wasn't 'one a them'. Sad thing really. And depressing...

Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborenal View Post
Thanks for the info Gunner. We are looking at Cape also as well as STL. Much of it depends on where I can find decent employment. We like the woods but wanna be close to town also or even a large lot in town and some separate woodlands outside the city limits. We are just beginning our research and your input is much appreciated.

Iron City is where my brother met his wife (too young) and had kids(too young) and they all turned on him as well as the locals because he wasn't 'one a them'. Sad thing really. And depressing...
Well if you have any more questions just feel free to ask. How close to town do you need to be? Sometimes around Cape and Jackson the first 2 or 3 miles outside of town are more subdivisions than woods but once you get farther out than that there are plenty of woods.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM

Right now we both commute in opposite directions between 30 mins to an hour (sometimes more as there is only one road to anywhere E or W for 20 miles ) depending on traffic, accidents, military activity, et al. .

We'd like to cut that down to 20 mins or less ideally, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes .

Right now it's all supposition on moving; we just want a little feel from a local's perspective on areas we are very interested in. We plan a trip later (before hurricane season starts 1 Jun) to scope the area(s) out.

We've lived in small cities like Port Edwards, WI to Minot, North Dakota and larger ones like Metro East STL and San Antonio, TX. We haven't hated anyplace just liked some better than others. Every place has it's good and bad points and we just have to ensure the good outweigh the bad; maybe I shouldn't say bad, but less good...

Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
PB folks can have a very insular mentality, my moms family is from there, I lived there for several years, couldnt wait to get out.
Wages are not that high, unemployment rates are high, one has to remember that the whole area is rather rural, and has been on the depressed side for over a century.
I wouldnt advise moving there.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM

492 posts, read 630,867 times
Did they have to shut down the Wal mart at Sikeston because the employees were stealing them blind?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Did they have to shut down the Wal mart at Sikeston because the employees were stealing them blind?
Um.....Sikeston is over 40 miles away from PB and in another county.....not sure what this has to do with the OPs questions?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborenal View Post
Right now we both commute in opposite directions between 30 mins to an hour (sometimes more as there is only one road to anywhere E or W for 20 miles ) depending on traffic, accidents, military activity, et al. .

We'd like to cut that down to 20 mins or less ideally, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes .

Right now it's all supposition on moving; we just want a little feel from a local's perspective on areas we are very interested in. We plan a trip later (before hurricane season starts 1 Jun) to scope the area(s) out.

We've lived in small cities like Port Edwards, WI to Minot, North Dakota and larger ones like Metro East STL and San Antonio, TX. We haven't hated anyplace just liked some better than others. Every place has it's good and bad points and we just have to ensure the good outweigh the bad; maybe I shouldn't say bad, but less good...
Well that's up to y'all on what you wanna do. I would scope out Cape Girardeau/Jackson/Scott City as Cape is probably the best bet for you and your wife to find a job. A 10 to 15 minute drive will easily get you outside of town. I like Sikeston too but same as Poplar Bluff, it isn't for everyone. You will probably get a bit of a better wage than Poplar Bluff due to the proximity of Cape. Cape and Sikeston are about 30 minutes apart. I would also look into Jonesboro, Arkansas. It is much bigger than any of the towns mentioned but you can still have a short commute to work and live out in the country. Wages may be a bit low there too however.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM

492 posts, read 630,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um.....Sikeston is over 40 miles away from PB and in another county.....not sure what this has to do with the OPs questions?
In post #2 in this thread someone suggested they get a job in Sikeston. I had heard that it is a rough place to live. Just a warning to the ones wanting to move and or work in the area.

Last edited by 7gkids; 04-25-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri