Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
I agree. Missouri isnt the most educated state but its definetly not like the south in terms of education nor the great plain states. Although pretty much the only place where you will find people that are democrats is in st.louis, kansas city and columbia metropolitan areas. Outside of that you might find a small collection in college towns (rolla, joplin, springfield) and maybe some in the boothell and other areas where miniroties are common
It's like this in a lot of states in the Midwest. In states like Indiana and Ohio, the only democratic leaning areas are in the cities. the rest of the states for the most part is red. Also, the Great Plains states are deep red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I've been travelling a whole lot in Southeast Missouri recently and I'm convinced the south starts somewhere in those 30 miles between Cape and Sikeston.

Saw all the cotton blooming (is that the right word?) earlier this fall around places like Malden and Portgageville.
MUTGR, your opinion is shared by many users and people I've met, myself included. I am in 100% agreement with this. EXACTLY

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
You are correct. The line is at Crowley's Ridge, which runs just north of Benton. With that being said, Jackson is southern too and it is just to the NW of Cape. It's always amazed me how those two towns are literally next door to one another and yet are completely different. In Cape County, you can go from village to village and the cultural affiliation will change over a few miles. The same is true for the northern half of Scott County too really.

Cape County is kind of hit and miss with it's historical voting patterns. Scott County has voted with the south quite a bit of the time, which is yet another argument that shows where the line is.

I would say that the Ozarks generally vote the same as much of the south as well.
The Ozarks may vote the same as the south, but culturally they are a mix of both midwestern and southern. The Ozarks only really get purely southern around the far southern parts of the state and in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This could only possibly be said by someone who has either never been to the south or who has never been to St. Louis, or quite possibly both.
agreed...same thing goes for Missouri being southern. I'll give a quarter, maybe a third if i'm feeling generous, to the south...the vast majority of the state is Midwestern and should be classified as such.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
I know everyone from St. Louis has southern accents. I have been there many times the problem is i couldn't find any unsweet tea. I only like my tea unsweet, and EVERYWHERE in good ole' St. Louie only had sweet tea!!! Everyone in St. Louis is southern you must not be from St. Louis if you say otherwise. I also have an uncle in Kansas City. This city is purely 100% southern. He sounds like any other person from Georgia or Alabama. He loves grits and greens, which are a staple of Kansas City culture! Kansas City and St. Louis.....two of the most southern cities in the United States!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The Ozarks may vote the same as the south, but culturally they are a mix of both midwestern and southern. The Ozarks only really get purely southern around the far southern parts of the state and in Arkansas and Oklahoma.
True. You already know we both agree on this.

Basically, a democrat from the south has an extremely good chance of winning the state of Missouri. Jay Nixon was able to prove that he was a moderate Democrat, and that's why he was re-elected this time around as governor. My county went for Spence but me and my father both voted for Nixon for the simple fact that both of us think he has been doing a pretty good job as governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I know everyone from St. Louis has southern accents. I have been there many times the problem is i couldn't find any unsweet tea. I only like my tea unsweet, and EVERYWHERE in good ole' St. Louie only had sweet tea!!! Everyone in St. Louis is southern you must not be from St. Louis if you say otherwise. I also have an uncle in Kansas City. This city is purely 100% southern. He sounds like any other person from Georgia or Alabama. He loves grits and greens, which are a staple of Kansas City culture! Kansas City and St. Louis.....two of the most southern cities in the United States!!!
I have never found decent sweetened tea in St. Louis county, much less the city so I have no idea what you could possibly be referring to. You are dreaming if you think that you can't find unsweet tea in St. Louis because I know for a fact that you can find it at gas stations along 55, 270, and 44 in the STL area and that means that most likely it is served unsweet everywhere else in the area. I've met a ton of people form St. Louis while attending college here, and not a single one of them would pass for a southerner, they wouldn't even be close. The fact that I can pick out right away when someone is from St. Louis because of their dialect and how they carry themselves immediately tells me that they are not southern at all. I was raised in a southern family in an area that could arguably be considered southern. I know what southern is, and St. Louis certainly doesn't qualify in the least bit.

As it relates to the topic of this thread, the city of St. Louis votes Democrat reliably. It is a major piece of the puzzle when it comes to identifying Missouri's political identity.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 12-14-2012 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
I consider St. Louis to basically be like memphis or nashville. It is nothing like chicago or any other northern/midwestern city. I consider st. louis and kansas city to be deep south, southern cities. They are both very similar to new orleans even.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
The South has always been and may very well always be backwards and behind the times. Virginia seems to be making some progress. Thank goodness for small miracles. My grandfather was from Missouri and he lived through the Great Depression and swore he would never vote for a Republican. "Republicans are either very rich or very ignorant", he would say. I still believe his words are true today.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I consider St. Louis to basically be like memphis or nashville. It is nothing like chicago or any other northern/midwestern city. I consider st. louis and kansas city to be deep south, southern cities. They are both very similar to new orleans even.
I was born in the south, and lived most of my life in various parts of it and never too far from good ol' Memphis. Spent six years in Kansas City and now live in the Milwaukee area. KC may have a fair amount of folks from the south, but by no means would I ever call it southern.
We had family from St. Louis that would come visit us in the south from time to time. They were fish out of water down there.
By whatever standards you're using, we might as well call Milwaukee deep south.

Last edited by northbound74; 12-14-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
The South has always been and may very well always be backwards and behind the times. Virginia seems to be making some progress. Thank goodness for small miracles. My grandfather was from Missouri and he lived through the Great Depression and swore he would never vote for a Republican. "Republicans are either very rich or very ignorant", he would say. I still believe his words are true today.
California makes the south look good.

Times have changed since the Great Depression. The rich and ignorant vote differently these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri