Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are driving from West Virginia to Texas in a few days, and neither of us has ever spent any time in Missouri, though I've spent a couple of days on a business trip in Springfield (I thought it was a beautiful little city by the way).

We'd like to spend a night in St Louis, and a day as well, and then drive south, and on into north Arkansas and on to visit my parents in Hot Springs. We could spend two or three nights max in Missouri. Probably two nights. We know we want to spend one night in St Louis but don't know where we should go after that.

We both enjoy very nice hotels, good restaurants, and we both really like history as well. We HATE places like Pigeon Forge, TN and Gatlinburg - too touristy - which is one reason we've never gone to Branson, but we're not ruling it out on this trip. We do enjoy concerts and have a wide range of musical interests. We also enjoy a GOOD museum, and we really like driving through pretty countryside and taking in the sights. We much prefer local places and little holes in the wall, over chains, when it comes to dinner, and drinks. Speaking of drinks, on vacation we are always in perpetual pursuit of a swanky, plush bar that serves awesome martinis - and if there's some live music as well, then we're in hog heaven.

My dad recommended that we definitely take in Grand Central Station in St Louis, and possibly even stay in a hotel there, but I am very open to suggestions. So hit me up!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I are driving from West Virginia to Texas in a few days, and neither of us has ever spent any time in Missouri, though I've spent a couple of days on a business trip in Springfield (I thought it was a beautiful little city by the way).

We'd like to spend a night in St Louis, and a day as well, and then drive south, and on into north Arkansas and on to visit my parents in Hot Springs. We could spend two or three nights max in Missouri. Probably two nights. We know we want to spend one night in St Louis but don't know where we should go after that.

We both enjoy very nice hotels, good restaurants, and we both really like history as well. We HATE places like Pigeon Forge, TN and Gatlinburg - too touristy - which is one reason we've never gone to Branson, but we're not ruling it out on this trip. We do enjoy concerts and have a wide range of musical interests. We also enjoy a GOOD museum, and we really like driving through pretty countryside and taking in the sights. We much prefer local places and little holes in the wall, over chains, when it comes to dinner, and drinks. Speaking of drinks, on vacation we are always in perpetual pursuit of a swanky, plush bar that serves awesome martinis - and if there's some live music as well, then we're in hog heaven.

My dad recommended that we definitely take in Grand Central Station in St Louis, and possibly even stay in a hotel there, but I am very open to suggestions. So hit me up!

Thanks in advance!
What route will you be taking between St. Louis and Hot Springs?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
What route will you be taking between St. Louis and Hot Springs?
Well, we're open to suggestions - as long as the direction is generally south!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM

154 posts, read 346,446 times
Consider stopping the state capital, Jefferson City. Many people find the museum within the Capitol to be very interesting. You can also tour the old state prison.

For the very best that tavern food has to offer (and I mean that in a good way), eat at Paddy Malone's, an Irish pub. Try the portabella fries. If you hit the right night, enjoy a Celtic jam. For the best coffee, get the house coffee - Rocket Fuel - at Coffee Zone on High Street. (Getting an espresso would be redundant, as the house brew can walk on its own two legs.) (Originally from Palestine by way of Jordan, owner Taisir can also serve you up some middle eastern fare).

From St. Louis, driving west on 70, but then dropping south in Highway 94, you'll go through wine country, lovely rolling hills, winding road, green forests, and you can offshoot into attractive river (and wine) towns such as Defiance, Augusta, Washington, Hermann, and then Jefferson City. I think you'll be startled at how the state capital comes up at you.

From Jefferson City, you can drop south and go through Lebanon, a Route 66 town, then decide how you want to proceed to Arkansas.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I would definitely recommend going to Hermann after you pass through St Louis. Their downtown is lovely. I recommend eating at the Wurst Haus there (only if you like German food). In Jefferson City, I recommend Central Dairy as they have some of the best icecream and milkshakes I've ever had.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Thanks in advance!
There are many fine hotels in St. Louis, but I like the Westin right next to Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. You could check out our great zoo, which is free and our art museum which is right next to the zoo in our historic Forest Park. You might also check out the Botanical Garden. I would recommend dining in some of the city's great neighborhoods, such as the Central West End or Soulard (to name just two of my favorites) and take in the great architecture of the city.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks to all so far - I am really excited about the little road trip. I'll go over these recommendations and any more with my husband and let you know what we decide to do! Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
If you do go to the state capitol be sure to see the Thomas Hart Benton mural; arguably the finest mural in the United States. A guide or guidebook would be helpful.

The Muny in Forest Park, St. Louis, can provide a very nice evening, check their schedule: The Muny

Also in St. Louis, the Missouri Botanical Garden is exceptionally fine. Missouri Botanical Garden

And if you are going that direction, and have any interest in history, take in Fulton - the chapel and museum.

It would take a bit more driving, but the Crystal Bridges Museum of Art in Bentonville Ark. is truly special - one of the premier art museums in the US both in content and architecture. See Home - Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art . You could take any number of roads from there to Hot Springs and all would be very scenic.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
I believe the Botanical Gardens have free concerts on Wednesday evenings in the summer. I really cool event. Also, if you are into concerts, Lafayette Square park has concers on certain Fridays? You may have to do just a little searching on the net for a schedule.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Not too late, I hope.

Make your second night in Columbia. Stay at the renovated Tiger Hotel downtown. Make a reservation earlier in the day for Sycamore Restaurant for dinner, 2 blocks' walk from the hotel. But instead of having dessert there, walk back towards the hotel and get some of the best, most interesting ice cream you'll ever find at Sparky's. Amazing ice cream, flavors you never imagined. If it's not too late, there'll be some interesting stores open, notably Bluestem Crafts down the street from Sparky's, really good artisan stuff. I'm not a martini drinker, but Vault is probably the best classic bar downtown, and frankly, the best one in town (Murry's) probably isn't worth the drive. Bar-wise, downtown really does cater to the students and those of that age. The bar at Bleu, on the other side of Broadway near the courthouse, might be good-- it was a good bar before they moved to that location. But don't go there for the food, at least not for full meals. For breakfast before you leave, you have a selection of diner-ish places downtown. I'm not a fan, but lots of people are. Really old-fashioned food. I take that back-- Cafe Berlin is both downtown and quite interesting. It is a little hippie-ish, but then so am I.

Or, do the college town thing and have a barista-brewed coffee from any of a number of places downtown. I recommend Uprise Bakery 3 blocks east of the hotel, also great pastries...maybe make THAT breakfast...but there's some other good choices. Lakota on 9th st is the popular place, but Kaldi's and Coffee Zone are fine too.

It's a good time of year to walk downtown in Columbia-- the students are still mostly gone, and while they bring a lot of energy, sometimes it's a little too much energy, and the wrong kind.

It's a straight shot west on I-70, can't miss it, get off at exit 126 (Providence Road), turn left, and you'll see the huge, old-fashioned sign for the Tiger Hotel that will show you where downtown is. And the next day, head south on US 63 to US 54, plan for lunch at Lake of the Ozarks unless it's a weekend, in which case it'll be a zoo in all sorts of ways (google "Party Cove" on Google Images, but not at work). Get on Missouri Highway 5 to get to I-44 to Springfield. I'm not a big fan of Springfield food but we discovered a pretty amazing place downtown, the Aviary Cafe, mostly a creperie. Really, really good. There's supposed to be a branch of Doe's Eat Place in Springfield too, which if it's remotely like the one in Mississippi, would be awesome for steaks. Never been to the Springfield one, though.

If you go that way, for pete's sake avoid Lambert's Cafe south of Springfield. It's (in)famous for "throwed rolls," which is just what it sounds like. Industrial portions of a pale imitation of southern food (which I love, and that ain't it). Very popular.

Last edited by cyrano; 08-01-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri