Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times

Advertisements

I found this while searching the web for history on my family. Isham is my
grandpa to the 7th degree...I am trying to find out who the freeholders were but I am guessing he may have sold Ben Franklin, Adams, Washington, etc a beer or two.

Last edited by Inoxkeeper; 03-03-2008 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM

116 posts, read 445,356 times
I am a big history buff also. We have a Ol Fort Mifflin down here in Philadelphia Pa. Its right behind the Phila Intl Airport. I volunteer down there whenever I get the chance, its a great place the Fort has been involved in every war from Revolutionary up to the Korean war. I actually became very good friends with the caretaker there and I have a piece of the original wall. I cant agree with you enough history is cool

Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Hockeynut, as one who minored in history, I must say definitely so! Shame that so many kids/people ignore and/or think that history is boring, uncool, unimportant. The lives and happenings of the past, they are so rich with a wide variety of unique and everyday and exciting stories. That is indeed a very neat find Inoxkeeper! Reading a historic book, listening to people tell a tale, watching a movie/show, its like uncovering a new and rich story, that helps ya understand where and why we be what and how we are and behave. Yas do know that there is a relatively 'new' history section here in CDF?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM

Your right Shadow. I am 38 now and have been going to Fort Mifflin since I was 11 years old and my mind still runs away with me like it did the first time I went to the fort. I am lucky that we have places like Valley Forge and Gettysburg here in Pa. The best part is I get to spend the night in the fort overnight for the most part whenever I want. Nothing like putting logs in the fireplace and sleeping where many have done so in the past. A great book cant beat the experience of actually being there and experiencing the past

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Very well said - when had the opportunity [thanks to my appendix desiring to leave my body] to visit Gettysburg this summer, for example, was so amazing, so awe inspiring to think I was standing in the same place where people had fought, bled, trembled, breathed, died, all relatively not that long ago. Lots of respect for history. That is quite the chance you have to spend those times like that! lol, whenever walking the woods, for example hunting in the woods behind my folks house in south central MO, oft times will imagine the hills are alive with the Native Americans that may have snuck in the same hollers I am traversing... wondering what they may have seen and experienced in these woods.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times
I recently found out that there was a Civil War era massacre in Nov. 1864 that occurred almost exactly on the farmland I own in Callaway County, MO. Very fascinating stuff.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Runninfiend I would be all over that farm lol. I would get a metal detector and go to town on it. I would definitely be all over that are and yes that is really cool.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times
It's "just a field" now, but a metal detector is a great idea. Could be some physical evidence under that thin veneer of topsoil.

The thing about it is that there wasn't a lot of activity in the region during the Civil War until Sterling Price tried to invade in late '64 to divert Union troops, so there really aren't too many Civil War sites in central MO.

For a great recap of the Border War with KS see "Black Flag" by Thomas Goodrich.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 AM

yeah you would be amazed the stuff you would find. Items soldiers left or dropped. If they were there I guarantee you have a gold mine sitting on that field. OK Ok, when I come out to missouri to check out the areas and the houses in person I'll drop by you talked me into hehe. In all seriousness get yourself a cheap detector it will be worth it.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,640 times
Hmmmm....I have a brand new metal detector and know there was a running battle
that went right by where I grew up, I may have to tackle the field next to my mom's house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri