Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times

Advertisements

add to the list: extremely LOW property taxes. i am paying one-tenth of what i did in NJ, even though i now have 10 times the land. i know someone already mentioned this, but it bears repeating.

also for the list: comparatively less government intrusion (translates into more freedom). in NJ you can't even buy a BB gun without a state-issued firearms permit. CCW? good luck! and try to buy a slingshot online... they can't ship to NJ because they are illegal there. in the town i moved from, you needed a permit to cut a tree down on your own property! if you burn leaves, the FD will come and fine you $500. yes, i finally had enough and moved to a non-nanny state.

also for the list: you can see the stars at night! sure, there are plenty of places in the US where the milky way is still visible in all its glory, but rural MO does indeed have very little light pollution and THAT was one of the things that drew me to the ozarks. therefore, i think it should be included.

as for the bugs... i had to laugh when i read that post. part of what i didn't like about NJ were the ticks and mosquitoes. one of my daughters contracted a very serious case of lyme disease which left her with a lingering disability. i couldn't enjoy my back yard on summer evenings without getting eaten alive. and where i lived near the coast, greenheads and sand flies were quite a nuisance too. i now live in a very remote part of MO and have yet to see a scorpion, tarantula, or black widow. there are prolly more snakes here than in NJ, but that's only because they haven't paved paradise and put a a million parking lots yet. which leads me to one more reason to move to MO...

you can still find mayberry RFD here (if that is what you are looking for). if you have ever grown nostalgic about the way things were when you were much younger, then rural MO should be on your list. where i live, the nearest traffic light (and great-wal-of-china-mart) is 30 miles away. the local grocery store still puts price stickers on every item because they don't have a scanner. the library still hand-stamps the little card in the back of the borrowed books when you check them out. violent crime is virtually non-existent. the school is closed for deer season. folks are friendly and hospitible in a genuine way.

yes, i have no regrets about relocating to missouri. i could go on, but this post is already too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 05:34 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Cool Waves & mail...

It still warms my heart the way people wave to each other driving around. Not on the freeway, of course, where you might get in a wreck, but on the back roads & neighborhoods there's still lots of the hand-on-the-wheel-two-fingers-up wave.

I also love the small town thing about mail delivery. You can get the address wrong as long as you get my name & the town right it will get to me.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Another positive bit of news, and true this is not only specific to Missouri or even to the Midwest, but the following was very to read... on multiple levels, first since I knew Bruce from when I was living in the Rolla area, and secondly seeing such a great warm positive result. Kudos to all that participated, helping another person in need.

Resident hopes to abate nuisance - Rolla, MO - The Rolla Daily News (http://www.therolladailynews.com/news/x1431152291/Resident-hopes-to-abate-nuisance - broken link)

BTW, was extremely proud to see the updated story in this past week's paper, where many people showed up on Bruce's property,,, that article is not yet on the RDN web site - but point here is that people went out of their way, cleaning much.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,953 times
Default yes move to SW Missouri

Yes Yes Yes.....I moved here from So Calif in 2003....to a small town of pop 1200 in between Springfield and Joplin (both have major stores, services) and love it. Great Quality of life...I'm retired....go get 2$ worth of value for each $1 I spend....real estate is cheeeeeep, I purchased a cottage home 1500 sq feet, built in 1897 (that's not a typo), fullly refurbished in town for $32, 000 in 2003....property taxes are around $300 a year. Beautiful springs, summers and fall...winter: some snow. Yes, there are tornados (last one that came close to us was in 2003), but yes there are hurricanes, earthquakes, monsoons, blizzards, etc....but the question how many have you experienced where you now live???? Small town values with big town services...that's Pierce City....There's a creek that runs through town and the park....Yes, kids and dogs romp through it and fish it. We have a fantastic annual Fine Arts Festival with wine tasting (grape growers/wineries are becoming BIG out here as are The Arts very neuturing environment here in this area and in the whole SW Missouri area). Quality of life, good neighborhoods, and neighbors, low taxes, good city services, schools, churches, events, city parks, peace, safety......great value for your (real estate) dollar....lg 2 - 3 story restored victorian homes: $120,000's Historic homes, home town pride....come visit!!! April

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,358 times
u can live out there on the army base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri