Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,699 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am a single mother of two barely surviving in CA and want desperately to thrive and not just survive. I depend on assistance as I'm only working part time which is all I could find. I NEED a fresh start and would love to live and thrive in a small town not far from the bigger cities to have access to hospitals, work etc. I have never lived outside of CA but have always wanted to. I know a lot of you have heard all of this before but for me this is all new. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or tips anyone could offer. I am starting my research but would like a suggestion to narrow down the states.
Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,665,135 times
Fresh Start
As a native Californian (They call us Califoriegniers here) I would give you this advise. Don't just move to Missouri without doing a lot of research. Just to take your kids and up and move halfway across North America would be a big mistake. No one should leave California without visiting another location for several weeks in every season.. In Missouri weather matters. There is humidity, winds, tornados, snow, thunder and lightning, ice storms, and everything inbetween.
Also I don't know your kid's Fathers status, but the courts might not allow you to leave the state.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFreshstart View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a single mother of two barely surviving in CA and want desperately to thrive and not just survive. I depend on assistance as I'm only working part time which is all I could find.
If you depend on the taxpayers for your income, you would be far better to stay in Califoreignia, a liberal utopia from what I hear, than to come to Missouri, a conservative state in which (outside the two major cities, Kansas City and St. Louis) people judge you by your work ethic and your self-reliance.

By the way, I am always amazed that Califoreigners, who spend a large part of their lives making jokes about us Midwestern/Southern/backwards/rednecks, think of Missouri first when they decide they want to leave their state for whatever reason. Why is that?

You will think I am being harsh, but this is the reality. If you are not thriving in California by receiving state and federal benefits, you are not going to thrive in Missouri. Perhaps by the time your children are grown and people like me are dead, thing will be different, and more people will be able to live comfortably by receiving payments from the taxpayers, and the taxpayers will be powerless to argue.

For your own sake and the sake of your children, I urge you to stay where you are in your "progressive" state, not our "backward" state.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 PM

94 posts, read 204,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
If you depend on the taxpayers for your income, you would be far better to stay in Califoreignia, a liberal utopia from what I hear, than to come to Missouri, a conservative state in which (outside the two major cities, Kansas City and St. Louis) people judge you by your work ethic and your self-reliance.

By the way, I am always amazed that Califoreigners, who spend a large part of their lives making jokes about us Midwestern/Southern/backwards/rednecks, think of Missouri first when they decide they want to leave their state for whatever reason. Why is that?

You will think I am being harsh, but this is the reality. If you are not thriving in California by receiving state and federal benefits, you are not going to thrive in Missouri. Perhaps by the time your children are grown and people like me are dead, thing will be different, and more people will be able to live comfortably by receiving payments from the taxpayers, and the taxpayers will be powerless to argue.

For your own sake and the sake of your children, I urge you to stay where you are in your "progressive" state, not our "backward" state.
I guess you missed the part where she said she was working part time because that is all she could find. That means she is a taxpayer too BTW.

I was once a single mother and had to have assistance and was grateful that at least in California it kept us from living in the street because I didn't even have a car. Fortunately I have paid back in taxes multiple times over what we received and I refuse to look down on other single mothers who find themselves in that position.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:24 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,397,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
I guess you missed the part where she said she was working part time because that is all she could find. That means she is a taxpayer too BTW.
A part-time income, dependents and getting assistance? Taxpayer, my butt.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
I was once a single mother and had to have assistance and was grateful that at least in California it kept us from living in the street because I didn't even have a car. Fortunately I have paid back in taxes multiple times over what we received and I refuse to look down on other single mothers who find themselves in that position.
Well, then, you and I agree. She needs to stay in that progressive, liberal state and receive benefits. I hear in the news all the time how Missouri does not spend enough money on assistance, so coming here would not be a wise thing to do. I believe I told her that was the harsh reality.

Moreover, transplants complain often how difficult it is to find employment in Missouri, particularly small-town Missouri, which is where the OP indicates she wants to settle, so if she can't find a full-time job in Califoreignia, she likely won't be able to find it here.

According to outsiders and transplants, the problem is that we don't pay enough in taxes in Missouri. If we would just raise taxes, we could be like Califoreignia and everyone would have a good life. The Republican Legislature won't let that happen, the outsiders and transplants say ruefully, as they wait for the day they can have their way.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM

16,119 posts, read 10,797,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFreshstart View Post
I am starting my research but would like a suggestion to narrow down the states.
Thank you all.
Small town Missouri is often comprised of very few families, all intermarried, who exhibit a tight possessiveness of their little kingdoms. There are exceptions and some larger towns with more opportunities -- often in the healthcare field. Missouri is a great state to visit but with the current political and social/economic climate (as evidenced by a certain respondent) you might do well to look elsewhere. Good luck on your search.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,024,591 times
If you think the job situation is bad in CA, Missouri isn't much better. Your dollar will go farther, but there is also a good chance you will be making a lot less.

I wound up in Missouri because of family. I left after two years because I just hated the insularity, parochialism and blandness of the place. The grass isn't as green as you think it would be.

As a few posters have shown, MO is not exactly friendly to most Californians, no matter what they bring to the table.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I just hated the insularity, parochialism and blandness of the place.
No, I doubt it. You obviously loved this state, for you can't stay away from this forum. I think you comment more than I.

You are like an atheist I know who talks about Jesus more than some churchgoers.

Yes, you think about Missouri every day, many times during the day, because you know this is a great state, and you wish you were here. You love this state, and you feel hurt because you couldn't make it here for some reason. Maybe things will turn around for you someday, and you'll be able to return and fit in.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,024,591 times
Naw, I'm an agnostic, and still know more about Abrahamic religions than many church goers (even my Mormon boss is impressed by what I know about LDS).

I did my time in Missouri (two years living there, and spending way to much of my vacation time there). I'm done with the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri