Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times

Advertisements

Just started hearing about your wild and wooly weather while still at work--we're two hours behind you guys as you know. My goodness, Missouri just always seems to be at the focal point for weather phenomena like this. I'm certainly praying that this latest round of twisters and severe thunderstorms will end soon.

At 11:30 Central time, it is 33 degrees in St. Joseph and 67 degrees in the St. Louis suburb of Florissant. Any time you have this great a temperature difference in so small an area, you just know things aren't going to stay quiet and serene for long. Let me thank all of you for your prayers for us in California! This past Wednesday or so, things were looking really bad for us weather-wise: forecasts of high winds, heavy rain and flooding. Here in Santa Rosa we did have a little bad weather, with high wind gusts to about 50 mph, traffic lights that didn't work (actually, the traffic got through the affected intersections more quickly than if the traffic lights did work! ), and about 3 1/2 inches of rain over a three to four day period. There were a lot of broken tree branches on the ground throughout Santa Rosa. Lake Tahoe got clobbered with several feet of snow, and as far as Los Angeles is concerned, if there aren't huge fires, then there are floods and big landslides, it seems.

I'll tell you, before I forget--a kind of praise report if you will: God spared a family in the small town of Camp Meeker, CA, about 13 miles west of Santa Rosa. A huge fir tree trunk smashed into the roof of their house, and miraculously didn't kill or injure any of them. The roof was just T-boned, though.

So please be careful and take good care of yourselves! May God send His angels to keep watch over you and protect you if you're on I-44 or other roads and highways with these monster storms. Hunker down the best you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
SW Missouri had experienced some of the worst weather and also Mtn. Grove area. We are north of that area and have severe storm warnings still in effect. Had lots of water seep into our home and spent a few hours mopping up. Still raining. Tornado watch still in effect also for this area. Cold weather west of here towards KS. Warmer weather around here. Makes for all of this excitement!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
If interested, might check out:
National Data - NOAA's National Weather Service

My alarm system has this ...it goes off anytime any bad weather ..or something needs to be brought to my attention.... I paid $30 for it at Walmart!! Its battery back up ...and its LOUD enough to wake you in the mid of the night ... my advice is to get one!

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9577/picture1182ft5.th.jpg (broken link)

Tornadoes are not like corn or hey fields that get planted and harvest in pretty much the same order........

but more like a snow flake - not one is alike and the conditions have to be favorable.

I pray everyone is ok ..am in Illinois and the same storm system came through here.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Near us, in Vichy, MO., a tornado touched down. Also just slightly north of us a tornado touched down. The strong winds continued throughout the early morning hours. Now just cloudy and some winds. Check Intellicast.com at times during severe weather outbreaks. Just always be aware of weather systems in your area. Last evening during the warnings, many of us spent the time at our Ambulance board meeting in the lower level of the building and felt protected.

Common sense and awareness does help. Missouri is in 'tornado alley'. Tornadoes do and have touched down in nearly every part of this state. I am not down-playing the severity of this situation. Would hope that others realize that this is an on-going weather pattern for Missouri as well as many adjoining states. Precautions and awareness can help protect you. Look at what occurred in Wisconsin!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
anybody heard from Ozarkbaby today? She posted on the music thread last night that sirens were going off right by her house, and I havent seen anything from her today......worried about the rest of you wonderful MO CD folks as well....... the tornado thing is one I do not miss, but I think I would rather have that than hurricanes AND the tornadoes they spawn, hope y'all are hunkered down!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Just started hearing about your wild and wooly weather while still at work--we're two hours behind you guys as you know. My goodness, Missouri just always seems to be at the focal point for weather phenomena like this. I'm certainly praying that this latest round of twisters and severe thunderstorms will end soon.

At 11:30 Central time, it is 33 degrees in St. Joseph and 67 degrees in the St. Louis suburb of Florissant. Any time you have this great a temperature difference in so small an area, you just know things aren't going to stay quiet and serene for long. Let me thank all of you for your prayers for us in California! This past Wednesday or so, things were looking really bad for us weather-wise: forecasts of high winds, heavy rain and flooding. Here in Santa Rosa we did have a little bad weather, with high wind gusts to about 50 mph, traffic lights that didn't work (actually, the traffic got through the affected intersections more quickly than if the traffic lights did work! ), and about 3 1/2 inches of rain over a three to four day period. There were a lot of broken tree branches on the ground throughout Santa Rosa. Lake Tahoe got clobbered with several feet of snow, and as far as Los Angeles is concerned, if there aren't huge fires, then there are floods and big landslides, it seems.

I'll tell you, before I forget--a kind of praise report if you will: God spared a family in the small town of Camp Meeker, CA, about 13 miles west of Santa Rosa. A huge fir tree trunk smashed into the roof of their house, and miraculously didn't kill or injure any of them. The roof was just T-boned, though.

So please be careful and take good care of yourselves! May God send His angels to keep watch over you and protect you if you're on I-44 or other roads and highways with these monster storms. Hunker down the best you can.
glad to see you are ok, too, I was wondering!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM

902 posts, read 718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
anybody heard from Ozarkbaby today? She posted on the music thread last night that sirens were going off right by her house, and I havent seen anything from her today......worried about the rest of you wonderful MO CD folks as well....... the tornado thing is one I do not miss, but I think I would rather have that than hurricanes AND the tornadoes they spawn, hope y'all are hunkered down!
Thanks for asking. I am here. We are ok here and it seems that Nixa came through it all unscathed. It was very intense though. I have to say that I was darn scared, especially around the 3:00am one. The storms were just storm after storm after storm and just seemed like it would never end.

35 tornadoes sweep through Ozarks; 2 die

Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
Thanks for asking. I am here. We are ok here and it seems that Nixa came through it all unscathed. It was very intense though. I have to say that I was darn scared, especially around the 3:00am one. The storms were just storm after storm after storm and just seemed like it would never end.

35 tornadoes sweep through Ozarks; 2 die
glad to hear from you! When I saw your post last night, the Mo gal in me wanted to go to the basement, and we dont have one!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM

902 posts, read 718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
glad to hear from you! When I saw your post last night, the Mo gal in me wanted to go to the basement, and we dont have one!
No basement here either. Just had to ride it all out. Can you believe that we had 35 tornados in one night that came through? Whew!!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM

137 posts, read 610,311 times
Well we had a wild ride yesterday! No storm cellar/basement and well the cabin is after all just a small "mobile home" even if we took off the axles!
the TV stations in Springfield did a very good job and we had an internet sat image we continuously refreshed. It wasn't until after 3 this morning when the "hurricane winds came through. We lucked out here on the mountain, the hail was not dropping here and the winds did very little damage. We hunkered down in the living room with both dogs and one cat. The other cat braved it outside. We had the truck unhooked from the trailer if we needed to run from a "rotation". We had planned to go down to a low spot near Bryant creek and wait it out in the truck but it was not necessary.
When the storm line hit Douglas county they talked about 90 mph winds and hail! There were stories of a tornado at 76 and U highway on the radio but nothing on the TV about it today. We made it through and we are happy! We have no regrets about the mountaintop location and will install a storm cellar someday for days like yesterday. I hope you all came through unscathed and healthy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri