Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 80,880 times

Advertisements

Hi all--first post on this forum. I was born and raised i Missouri--then met my husband, who was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood at the time.

He dragged me back to his home town in Pennsylvania, where we built a lovely home on land that's been in his family forever.
But now, I DESPERATELY want to move back to Missouri--preferably back to my hometown or at least Crawford County. I've been working on my husband for about a year--he's probably closer to saying yes now than he's ever been--send me some good vibes y'all (something NOBODY says here in NE Pennsylvania!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,433 times
Default Welcome!!

Sounds like you are pretty homesick! Good news is that there a lots of reasons to move here! Hopefully you will be able to "turn him around"! Good Luck! We will be pullin' for ya!! Hey, at least make him bring you for a visit, before he says NO completely!! (Then he won't be able to resist!!)

Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM

Oh he's been there several times--we usually go once or twice a year to visit my family.
He loves it there. Most of his reservations are being torn at leaving his own hometown and the fact that we have good jobs here.
I can take mine with me since I telecommute, but he's afraid to leave his.

We're talking a lot about it and praying about it. I'm trying not to be too pushy...it's difficult!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM

45 posts, read 187,110 times
Sounds as if your husband is not opposed to moving per se; he is just scared that he won't find a job as good as the one he has now, which is a fair concern. To do something practical about addressing that worry, have him start researching jobs in his field in Mo., making some phone calls for information, etc. Do you have any friends in Mo. who could suggest some employment he might look into?

Marriage is a two way street and both people have to feel that they are being treated fairly. You don't say how long you two have lived in Pa., but if it's longer than a couple of years, it's your turn, especially if you don't have any children that you are uprooting. I'm sure he realizes that you feel the same as he does about your home and family. At least he's been to Mo. and already knows he likes it.

Try to sort out his job related worries and see what happens. If he comes up with a new concern, his heart really isn't in the move and you are going to have to talk about it, some more.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 PM

We do have children. They are all for the move. The school in my old hometown is better than this one.
They would miss their friends I'm sure, but they're not worried about making new ones.
The oldest one is in 8th grade this year though, so if we're going to do it, I want to do it soon. I will not uproot her past her Freshman year in High School. That would suck for her to graduate with people she doesn't know well or have a history with.
We have been researching jobs for him--things look good. My mother is well-known and at the hub of activity in myhometown, so she hears a lot and keeps us apprised.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Missmo... first, great name Secondly, the FtW area is indeed very cool - lived south of Rolla near Edgar Springs for some time, and enjoyed the Piney River and other areas, up north and west of Fort Lost in The Woods . As to Crawford County, that is quite nice too - the soft rolling hills, and open fields, bordered by cedars and oaks and hickories, along w/ the slowly moving and very meandering streams... Woops! Sorry - hope not too homesicker now...

Whereabouts in PA and Crawford County are and was ya?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
I'm not far from Crawford County and love the area. As ShadowCaver has described, 'quite nice'. I will DM you with some info tomorrow about the area. Cuba, Salem and other towns. Foothills of the Ozarks!!! Hope that y'all will realize your dream of returning to your roots. Good Luck and Happy Thoughts and Dreams!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM

Thanks NV--I grew up in Steelville--that's ideally where I'd like to come back to--but possibly one of the surrounding towns. We see a lot of nice properties in the Salem area.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 AM

205 posts, read 532,342 times
I sure hope it works out for you! Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 24,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmo View Post
Hi all--first post on this forum. I was born and raised i Missouri--then met my husband, who was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood at the time.

He dragged me back to his home town in Pennsylvania, where we built a lovely home on land that's been in his family forever.
But now, I DESPERATELY want to move back to Missouri--preferably back to my hometown or at least Crawford County. I've been working on my husband for about a year--he's probably closer to saying yes now than he's ever been--send me some good vibes y'all (something NOBODY says here in NE Pennsylvania!).
OK, wow. I am in the military and I'm looking to move to PA. It just so happens that my wife and I own a home in Roby, Missouri about 15 minutes South of Fort Leonard Wood. We are willing to sale the house in Missouri because we will not be stationed there again. What ya'll think?

dewsdomain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri