Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Moving from /St Louis to Camdenton soon. Irrational terror of all insects and spiders,. What nightmare awaits for me in the Ozarks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 08:53 AM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
It is essentially the same ecological system. The differences will depend entirely on the population density of your neighborhood in either location. In less densely populated areas the chances of encountering snakes increase in either city. The number and kinds of spiders will be about the same no matter what, with the exception of the various "garden" spiders that build large webs here, there, everywhere in the fall.

Last edited by Arrby; 08-30-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 11:59 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I lived in Jefferson City for a while, and we had occasional scorpions living in places with dry rocky outcrops. It is a pretty localized ecosystem, I think, as we never saw them anywhere else. An urban or town environment won't be much different. If you are out in the woods somewhere (hiking, hunting, fishing) I would recommend bug repellant as the ticks can get bad some years.

Old 08-30-2022, 12:39 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Hornets. IMO, hornets are worse than wasps and bees. Hornets will chase you, and if you kill one, a dead one releases some kind of chemical that fires up the rest of them.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:28 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I lived in Jefferson City for a while, and we had occasional scorpions living in places with dry rocky outcrops. It is a pretty localized ecosystem, I think, as we never saw them anywhere else. An urban or town environment won't be much different. If you are out in the woods somewhere (hiking, hunting, fishing) I would recommend bug repellant as the ticks can get bad some years.
Whoa.
Never heard of scorpions in Missouri, but I wouldn't doubt it either.
We had a lot of grass spiders in our yard some years in southern MO, but they're generally harmless. From what I understand, they're shy and have a hard time biting human skin anyway.
Ticks, yes, sometimes. Mosquitos can be bad in some areas with water. Chiggers are a thing too I believe.
On the plus side, lightening bugs/fireflies light up the evenings.

The more rural the area, the more bugs there tends to be. In all the years we lived in KC, I think I got bit by a fluke mosquito once, maybe twice.
We did have a stray spider in the basement from time to time.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:49 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Here is some info about the Striped Bark Scorpion which is supposed to be the only kind found in parts of Missouri. There are photos, and info at the bottom of some other things found in Missouri also.

https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/f...-bark-scorpion

---------------------

Old 12-05-2022, 10:47 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I live within a half an hour of Camdenton in a wooded, rocky area. I have not seen scorpions. A daughter who lives at the lake has had 3 in her townhouse in 14 months' time. I have fewer large spiders here than I did in the Rocky Mtn region. We do have regular extermination by choice.

I've yet to see a poisonous snake on my place. Brown snakes were very common when we moved in, they are fewer now. A few ribbon snakes. I've had more ticks on me at one time than I knew would fit. That's likely from clearing underbrush. We spray the acreage with a mixture of permethrin and peppermint oil focusing more around the house and yards. I do it with a pump tank and walking. Good exercise.

Enjoy the area!

Old 04-30-2023, 11:06 AM

27 posts, read 34,336 times
Mostly flies and gnats.
Some spiders, lots of ticks.
Bees, wasps and hornets, some mosquitos.
I'm northwest of Camdenton in Climax Springs, right on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri