Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 AM

189 posts, read 799,795 times

Advertisements

Might be a bit of a joke too! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 AM

Since nobody posted anything really negative about JC and the area, I guess I'll assume that it's a pretty nice place to live.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,840 times
I think that is a pretty safe assumption, if you like a smaller city without a ton of culture, but is within 2 or 3 hours driving distance of pretty much anything that you cant find there.

I think its a good place to raise a family, myself, if you can find a good paying job there, or in Columbia, which is 20 mins away.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:19 PM

Thank you everybody for all of your feedback!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM

48 posts, read 139,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawki View Post
Thank you everybody for all of your feedback!
Hey! Don't know if you have moved here or not, but just wanted to let you know it is wonderful city with a small town feel. There is not a lot of night life, bars, etc...because it is conservative! But people are friendly, crime is extremely low, and you can get an amazing house for not a lot of money. Plus, it is so close to Columbia and the Lake, that you have a lot of things to do in just a short drive. You'll be very happy here.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,214 times
Well, you don't have anything to worry about til your kids reach highschool... If you like people with teeth, this is not the place for your family. There are some nice parks, ice hockey, two ymca's, 10,000 churches, too many places to stuff your face and not enough gyms to burn off the grease. There is alot of good block, bad block due to half the city being rentals (most of which are owned by slumlords) for Lincoln Students. But if you live just outside of town you can get the country atmosphere with the city close.
If you like to shop, columbia is about thirty minutes away and its a little better than JC, but St. Louis is about an hour and a half away.
Hope its not too negative, but I could have been brutally honest, but if you want to know all that, just ask.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM

47 posts, read 232,083 times
There is some beautiful landscape south of Jefferson City. Rolling hills, wonderful views. Somewhat limited shopping. Although they do have a Old Navy, Target, Walmart and Mall. Many of the stores have moved out of the mall though. I know several people who commute to Jefferson City from Columbia, they work in government. I live in Columbia and enjoy living in a "college" town. Jeff has a good parks department, and an ice rink, which we commute down for lessons. Looking at real estate down there, it is very competitive and "staging" seems to be popular Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 24,934 times
Default Jeff City Move

We moved here 8 years ago. My husband has always worked in Jefferson City and has frequently asked if I would like to move there. I don't. Two reasons. 1 my parents live here. But more importantly I feel like Columbia is more of an open minded town, I feel that there is more to do here and it's right on 70 with an easy commute to KC and St. Louis. Many people live in Columbia and commute to Jeff City. We live on the NW side of Columbia and it takes my husband about 30-35 minutes to get to work. But if you lived on the East side of Columbia an easy hop onto 63, If you want a smaller town, you could do Ashland or Hartsburg as well.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM

24 posts, read 54,449 times
Wink oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzim View Post
Jeff City is like any other incorporated municipality across the country, controlled by the city fathers to ensure their well-hidden scheme of modern-day thuggery goes undetected by the average citizen.

Police keep the people in fear. The rulers do so by power, not by authority.

Deception and trickery are the norm, truth and integrity are muzzled.

There is no freedom in Jefferson City, MO.

When I say that, what I mean is, do not expect to come here and be free from local, state and federal thieves, and murderers.

But at least when the man is stickin' it to you, he smiles pretty at you, to make it seem more pleasant.
Cynical and practical Missourian wisdom... you nailed it. It gets even worse in Bloomington, Indiana, which is Jefferson City times horrible times a billion plus an outrageously expensive cost of living minus the joys of life divided by the PCB-poisoned water in Lake Monroe. Hey, at least you Jeffersonites cleaned up your water -- the state of Indiana still can't figure their drinking water out. And that's why I'm going back to good old Jeff -- it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
^The drinking water thing is so true in Indiana. I would never drink their water, they've had so many issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri