Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 12:34 PM

89 posts, read 153,646 times

Advertisements

Hello. I know the title is kinda funny. But hear me out. I currently live in the suburbs in central FL (about 30-40 minute drive from Orlando and Disney World). I've lived between here and upstate NY for years. First moved to this location in 2004 so I've seen a lot here. I'm 26. Been back here about 6 years straight now and I just want a change... the area is growing too fast, too many people moving here (and I am thinking about moving to Missouri, sorry; I come in peace) and I just simply can't afford to live here now with so many people moving from out of state.

I feel like I am paying for a lot of amenities that I do not use or care about (city nearby, Disney world and other attractions nearby, a lot of white collar job opportunities, etc etc.). I am owner/operator of a pressure washing business. Been doing this fulltime for 3 years and I make decent money but not really enough to afford to not have to work all the time. For instance, a studio apartment here starts at about $1100, not including any utilities, cable, garbage disposal, etc...

I want a more peaceful, slow-paced way of living. Where I don't have to work 24/7 to afford a little place to lay my head. I don't mind hard work but I just feel like I can't get ahead here in FL. So I am looking to start over, again (I've moved quite a bit growing up), in a totally new environment. I have 45k cash saved up. But I don't want to purchase a house in a state I've never been to... so I was thinking of visiting different parts of the state in the coming months and eventually move to an area I like and rent for a while. See what happens, go from there. I am leaning more towards the southern part of the state. Outside Springfield. I think outside Springfield and outside the Lake of the Ozarks area may be good for my business. I want to stay self-employed and continue pressure washing...

About me: 26, single, no kids. No plans on getting married or having kids honestly. Want a small house on acreage, like to fish, boating, shooting, freedom, not living like a slave to a job.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:42 PM

374 posts, read 257,266 times
Missouri is probably the most "Southern" state that isn't actually part of the South, especially down in the Ozark region. Lots of forests, lakes, rivers, hills, small quaint towns, and even a few larger communities like Springfield or Joplin for amenities. I'm not sure how the cost of living there compares, though. Might wanna consider other places like NW Arkansas or Tulsa, as they are still relatively cheap places to move to despite this entire region exploding with growth over the last decade but still have quick and easy access to many outdoorsy activities.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:52 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Northwest Arkansas would actually be the same price at best, but usually more expensive.
Way overpriced. It’s also just going the wrong direction for what the OP describes.

Southern Missouri is a good place to look.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:24 PM

89 posts, read 153,646 times
My concern with Arkansas is future politics and work opportunities for the biz/economy. I did think of Arkansas though. NWA.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:43 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
My concern with Arkansas is future politics and work opportunities for the biz/economy. I did think of Arkansas though. NWA.
I wouldn't worry about the politics in either state. Arkansas isn't flipping any time soon. The trajectory is there but could take a very long time unless something changes one way or the other.
At the most, I kind of envision Arkansas trying to become another North Carolina making it a swing state. On the other hand it's not really pro-growth or pro-business outside of NWA, which is still a small section of Arkansas.
Mostly, NWA is getting more crowded and expensive. You'd have to live pretty far out to avoid that there. It's not liberal. Even the county that Fayetteville and the big university is in voted for Trump... twice.
Areas outside of Little Rock to the north of it wouldn't be a bad option. The city votes democrat, but it's not a flaming liberal type of place generally.

Around Springfield is a good place to start looking in Missouri. It's a big region, but can be pretty rural and doesn't grow too quickly for it's own good.
Lake of the Ozarks might be a good option, but Springfield would be better for business.
Be mindful of Springfield's crime problem. It's a smaller city with little in the way of suburbs.
It's not the worst place. Coming from Florida it might not seem all that bad.
Honestly, the Kansas City area is just as cheap and isn't threatening to grow a lot beyond its current borders. It's both robust and affordable. There's also a lot more wealth there that would be willing to spend money on things like pressure washing. Acreage within 30-45 minutes isn't hard to find and some of it is very reasonably priced.
If I were planning on being self-employed in Missouri and had to primarily rely on the local economy, it'd be my top choice.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:01 PM

270 posts, read 193,730 times
Quote:
Hello. I know the title is kinda funny. But hear me out. I currently live in the suburbs in central FL (about 30-40 minute drive from Orlando and Disney World). I've lived between here and upstate NY for years. First moved to this location in 2004 so I've seen a lot here. I'm 26. Been back here about 6 years straight now and I just want a change... the area is growing too fast, too many people moving here (and I am thinking about moving to Missouri, sorry; I come in peace) and I just simply can't afford to live here now with so many people moving from out of state.

I feel like I am paying for a lot of amenities that I do not use or care about (city nearby, Disney world and other attractions nearby, a lot of white collar job opportunities, etc etc.). I am owner/operator of a pressure washing business. Been doing this fulltime for 3 years and I make decent money but not really enough to afford to not have to work all the time. For instance, a studio apartment here starts at about $1100, not including any utilities, cable, garbage disposal, etc...

I want a more peaceful, slow-paced way of living. Where I don't have to work 24/7 to afford a little place to lay my head. I don't mind hard work but I just feel like I can't get ahead here in FL. So I am looking to start over, again (I've moved quite a bit growing up), in a totally new environment. I have 45k cash saved up. But I don't want to purchase a house in a state I've never been to... so I was thinking of visiting different parts of the state in the coming months and eventually move to an area I like and rent for a while. See what happens, go from there. I am leaning more towards the southern part of the state. Outside Springfield. I think outside Springfield and outside the Lake of the Ozarks area may be good for my business. I want to stay self-employed and continue pressure washing...

About me: 26, single, no kids. No plans on getting married or having kids honestly. Want a small house on acreage, like to fish, boating, shooting, freedom, not living like a slave to a job.
Try around Houston Missouri, go south as far as West Plains and look east of there. Summersville is a good start. Get to know some locals, look for land about 10 acres, with power available and land the perks, be sure the land around there has wells. You also need to look at road access, do you think you'll manage a dirt road. Remember, it snows there, you'll need a four wheel truck to get out in winter. Once you have the land picked out and perked, well test and look at mobile homes, your best start for your cash layout.

You can always build a home later.

We started out with 160 acres without power access, which we bought very cheap and used for camping and hunting. Later, we bought 40 acres on good access road with electric available. We built a small house with well and sewer and graveled in a road to our cabin with strung power for our existing house. I moved away after my husband passed and got too old to manage is myself. I sure do miss it, not so much winter, but summertime and fall season.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:48 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
30 mins from Orlando? There are places in Missouri that are more southern than anywhere in Florida.

The bootheel is far more southern than anywhere in central Florida. That is Delta South. If you moved to that area it would probably be a shock to you.

The Ozarks around highway 60 are more upper south, not deep south. A difference there.

Even Northern Florida is getting watered down.

Politics Missouri is much more to the right than Florida and more southern. Look at gun laws. I live here in FL and just hate the gun laws. Missouri has no gun laws basically.

Just look at election results compared to FL.

The state as a whole Missouri is more southern than modern day Florida. Sizeable chunks of Missouri are in the South or in the transition zone.

Missouri and Arkansas are not going to flip democrat again. They were democrat at one time due to voting patterns, civil war and such.

MO isn't like Florida where it's split. Look at the 2020 or 2016 election map.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 22,713 times
I got family in Missouri and them and I aren't fans of either Lake of the Ozarks nor Springfield. Lake of the Ozarks is too crowded and Springfield is a drug-ridden ghetto.

I would personally recommend Cape Girardeau. It's a nice town with cheap housing and plenty of amenities. Plus it was the birthplace of Rush Limbaugh which should give you a good understanding of the local politics.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Missouri is underrated.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:55 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Quote:

Any reason you are focusing on Missouri in particular? I really liked living in Tennessee for some of the same reasons that you listed at the bottom of your post. You can certainly find what you are looking for in Missouri though, as well as several other states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontLikeSand View Post
I got family in Missouri and them and I aren't fans of either Lake of the Ozarks nor Springfield. Lake of the Ozarks is too crowded and Springfield is a drug-ridden ghetto.

I would personally recommend Cape Girardeau. It's a nice town with cheap housing and plenty of amenities. Plus it was the birthplace of Rush Limbaugh which should give you a good understanding of the local politics.
Not a bad option, the land prices are a bit steep for acreage though. Other nearby counties are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri