Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 02:37 PM

89 posts, read 153,404 times

Advertisements

I live in Orlando, FL. I desperately want to leave this place. It's gotten so crowded, so expensive, and you can see that it is just now starting to look run down in places that were once pretty okay. I'm thinking either middle TN (Putnam county area I guess) or southern MO (near Battlefield, Republic, Springfield, Branson, around that area). Right now I am paying $1800 + $200 for utilities to rent a 2 bed/1 bath 1250 sq ft house built in the 50's. The house has zero updates, almost feels like I'm living in a cheap motel. For what I'm paying I'm actually paying a little less than what houses for rent go for in the area. Kind of just got lucky/right place right time. I just want to better my life. There is not much of a future here for me, or a very mediocre one at that. Any stories about the areas or insights would be super appreciated. I need to know what I'm getting into. I have been to TN a handful of times just scoping out various towns. I have only been to MO once to scope out towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 08:10 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I live in Orlando, FL. I desperately want to leave this place. It's gotten so crowded, so expensive, and you can see that it is just now starting to look run down in places that were once pretty okay. I'm thinking either middle TN (Putnam county area I guess) or southern MO (near Battlefield, Republic, Springfield, Branson, around that area). Right now I am paying $1800 + $200 for utilities to rent a 2 bed/1 bath 1250 sq ft house built in the 50's. The house has zero updates, almost feels like I'm living in a cheap motel. For what I'm paying I'm actually paying a little less than what houses for rent go for in the area. Kind of just got lucky/right place right time. I just want to better my life. There is not much of a future here for me, or a very mediocre one at that. Any stories about the areas or insights would be super appreciated. I need to know what I'm getting into. I have been to TN a handful of times just scoping out various towns. I have only been to MO once to scope out towns.
Depends on where in Missouri. The Southern quarter of Missouri will be very similar to TN. Bible belt, culture, etc. Very conservative states as well. Branson for example would have more in common with eastern TN.

I'm from St. Louis and live in Southwest FL again. Missouri overall is cheaper and more conservative as well. Winter weather is similar in both places. TN and southern MO you get some cold days but then you get a lot of days in the 60s as well.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:52 AM

I appreciate the insight MO. How would you go about finding a place for rent in the area if I'm in FL? Without getting ripped off or anything. I'm thinking it would probably be the safest bet to rent an apartment or something like that for 6 months (short term) while I figure out the area. I think that renting from a private landlord while being out of state could (may) go wrong. I don't want to get ripped off or scammed. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm probably going to head that way soon just to check out the area once more before I pull the trigger, so to speak.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:18 AM

685 posts, read 766,508 times
Tennessee is growing much faster then Missouri. It feels busier and their cities are growing faster. If I was young, I would pick TN.

TN's geography is little more diverse, although it still pales versus the West.

MO is more culturally diverse IMO, with a huge variation between, say, the delta (deep south) and KC/StL (midwest).

TN doesn't have income tax, which is nice if you have a high-income.

Culturally, TN is similar to southern MO. They are visually and climatically similar too.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:17 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I appreciate the insight MO. How would you go about finding a place for rent in the area if I'm in FL? Without getting ripped off or anything. I'm thinking it would probably be the safest bet to rent an apartment or something like that for 6 months (short term) while I figure out the area. I think that renting from a private landlord while being out of state could (may) go wrong. I don't want to get ripped off or scammed. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm probably going to head that way soon just to check out the area once more before I pull the trigger, so to speak.
If you are leery of renting a place sight-unseen (such hesitation is wise, IMO) stay in a extended stay motel for a week or so after you arrive.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:43 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
In general, I would say there's more opportunity in Tennessee. (It depends on which part of each state) Middle Tennessee and Southwest Missouri are both decent choices I'd say. East Tennessee may not be too bad either in certain spots.

Other than that I'm not sure how much of a difference there is. The weather is a bit more unpredictable in Southwest Missouri than Tennessee, and the cost of living might be a bit lower in SW Missouri.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
In general, I would say there's more opportunity in Tennessee. (It depends on which part of each state) Middle Tennessee and Southwest Missouri are both decent choices I'd say. East Tennessee may not be too bad either in certain spots.

Other than that I'm not sure how much of a difference there is. The weather is a bit more unpredictable in Southwest Missouri than Tennessee, and the cost of living might be a bit lower in SW Missouri.
Stay out of Memphis though. Memphis and St. Louis could be siblings they're very similar and in not very good ways such as crime.

Eastern TN is nice but won't have the jobs Nashville has. Kinda like Southwest MO.

Springfield area is growing though and more opportunities there too.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Tennessee is growing much faster then Missouri. It feels busier and their cities are growing faster. If I was young, I would pick TN.

TN's geography is little more diverse, although it still pales versus the West.

MO is more culturally diverse IMO, with a huge variation between, say, the delta (deep south) and KC/StL (midwest).

TN doesn't have income tax, which is nice if you have a high-income.

Culturally, TN is similar to southern MO. They are visually and climatically similar too.
Very true. Politically too. South of Highway 50 Missouri is similar to TN in a lot of ways. Southeast MO is like SW TN, and Ozarks similar to Eastern TN. A lot of people in the Ozarks came from Eastern TN so that's why the Ozarks seem similar in some ways culturally. The Bootheel is more southern than Eastern TN.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:06 PM

MOforthewin, I'm finding that the areas such as republic and battlefield that are outside of Springfield, the real estate, is not as good as the areas outside of Kansas City. I would like to have a customer base in the suburb areas of either city.

My thought is... I want to buy a house (in the near future/~2-3 years?) with some acreage, maybe 3-5 acres, in the 200k range. If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Wants. Semi rural not not super rural. Maybe a town of population around 10k? Not like a town that only has 500 people in it. And not a super far commute to the areas that I need to work in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri