Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 11:14 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

This is WORSE than Clean Missouri. Smells like it will be another Soros backed ballot initiative.

There is NO way this should even get a sniff of getting on the ballots.

Missouri, considered one of the most pro gun states in the country, along with being VERY deep red.

If something like this passes in deep red Missouri, they will get it passed in many other states, especially purple states.

First, I can't even see how this would be constitutional. Gov. Parson NEEDS to call in a special session and address ballot initiative process, especially gathering sigs. There will be MASSIVE fraud here in order to get it on the ballots. Raise it to 60 percent like FL. Maybe make it 90 percent when it comes to amending an existing law.

I can't see how this is enforced. Stl county could go 500 feet and breaking an ordinance in one municipality, and okay in another down the street.

These idiots in St. Louis say they need it to ban open carry. They already can pass an ordinance regarding open carry. State law allows it already!

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/lo...f-086e73098aaa

Hopefully AG Bailey and Ashcrof t can stop this.

If it passes, deep red MO will be the laughing stock of the country. Super majorities, Republicans control every office, and won 110 of 114 counties the last 3 presidential elections.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:53 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
This is WORSE than Clean Missouri. Smells like it will be another Soros backed ballot initiative.
Any time you see the words sensible, democrat and gun in the same paragraph, you can be assured it is neither sensible, safe nor Constitutional. And it would be a fair bet that either Soros or Bloomberg is behind it.

Quote:
First, I can't even see how this would be constitutional. Gov. Parson NEEDS to call in a special session and address ballot initiative process, especially gathering sigs. There will be MASSIVE fraud here in order to get it on the ballots. Raise it to 60 percent like FL. Maybe make it 90 percent when it comes to amending an existing law.
You kinda lost me on the percentages.

I do agree it is too easy, in many states (Missouri included, if I read the rules right) to get a ballot initiative. I don't think 60% is doable, certainly not 90%. We have a planned change in the works (or did it already pass?) here in AR, as well.

If you are talking about 60% vote, to get the constitution amended, well, that is entirely reasonable.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:31 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Anything is possible. I am a Republican and was surprised when the legislature passed and Parson signed a bill that lets the utilities in Missouri raise rates without going through the hearings and the PSC. It takes effect in October.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Anything is possible. I am a Republican and was surprised when the legislature passed and Parson signed a bill that lets the utilities in Missouri raise rates without going through the hearings and the PSC. It takes effect in October.
Are you talking about this:
https://www.eenews.net/articles/miss...for-customers/

I haven't really studied it.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:58 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Are you talking about this:
https://www.eenews.net/articles/miss...for-customers/

I haven't really studied it.
That's it. Do you usually cook between 4-8 pm? It will cost you a lot more if you do. They say this will hit the poor the hardest.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That's it. Do you usually cook between 4-8 pm? It will cost you a lot more if you do. They say this will hit the poor the hardest.
Well, that part actually makes sense (at least it makes sense in the summer, doesn't make sense in the winter), but there are a lot of other parts that need to be considered, also. The article (and the government regs behind it) need to be studied, point by point, to see the good and the bad.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:31 PM

Well, it was approved to circulate. 3 versions they have. They will likely decide which one has the most support.

Any law student should see this isn't constitutional! You see UNsensibleMO's proposed language in all three versions doesn't change the current wording of article 1, section 23! It just adds a subset to it. By leaving article one in it's current state which they're doing it's already constitutional based on their ballot initiative because it would be violating that. Read section 23! It clearly protects against this and this amendment would clearly be violating it in many ways. In addition the elected officials in Missouri are also in violation of their oath for allowing this based on the MO constitution.

Jay Aschcroft and AG Andrew Bailey are at fault too. Bailey should have rejected it because it isn't constitutional as written. Even if passed it would still be in violation of the MO and even US constitution possibly.

Good news is Paul Berry got an approved to circulate petition. That will void all open carry ordinances in MO and only state law.

I don't know much, however regarding UNsensibleMO I'm told there are lawsuits in the works regarding this. That means Cole County which typically has conservative, pro gun judges. The MO supreme court is usually pro gun as well. At worst at least gum the process up so not enough time to get sigs for 2024 and then correct this.

If somehow this passed I expect no one will follow it. Will be super easy to find someone get a citation for open carry and then go to court to get it thrown out.

Amendment 1 passed in 2014 with 61 percent of the vote! Only stl city, Stl county, city of KC and Boon county voting against it. So even if it got on the ballots I doubt it would pass anyway.

BUT this is a slippery slope. If you can get this garbage put on a ballot in a super pro gun state, then they antis will try this in every state! Especially places like Texas and Georgiaz Ariozna and NC that are less red than MO.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:09 AM

So, which thing are you most interested in "fixing"?

The process for amending the Constitution?
Quote:
Gov. Parson NEEDS to call in a special session and address ballot initiative process, especially gathering sigs.
Or the attempt at passing an Unconstitutional gun control bill?
Quote:
I don't know much, however regarding UNsensibleMO I'm told there are lawsuits in the works regarding this. That means Cole County which typically has conservative, pro gun judges. The MO supreme court is usually pro gun as well. At worst at least gum the process up so not enough time to get sigs for 2024 and then correct this.
Frankly, I am not seeing nearly enough of either, in the press, to have already formed an opinion, since I am across the line, into AR.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
So, which thing are you most interested in "fixing"?

The process for amending the Constitution?

Or the attempt at passing an Unconstitutional gun control bill?

Frankly, I am not seeing nearly enough of either, in the press, to have already formed an opinion, since I am across the line, into AR.
Both need to be fixed!

There is hardly anything in the press about it since late June. The petition just got approved to circulate.

Even their website they haven't updated and MFC and NRA no comment.

There is a reason for this though IMO. If the press and anti gunners get out there quickly and spout off about this then it gives the pro gun crowd more time to organize an opposition. I asked the CEO of MFC about this and he dodges it too when I asked. They're probably waiting until the end of the year when the petition drive cranks up.

UnsensibleMO has three versions approved to circulate. All three are very vile. Hopefully this doesn't even any morons in Little Rock or West Memphis any ideas. Northern AR one of the places I've considered moving too. AR tries this I gotta cross your state off my list too.

The best option would been the morons in Jeff City fixing the petition process in the last session and UnsensibleMo Wouldn't even attempt this because it wouldn't pass for sure then.

You can go on the SOS site and read all three. Joan Bray is heading it. She's a real whack job anti gunner. She's literally mentally ill if you remember her days in the MO House and Senate.

Paul Berry's pro gun amendment needs to be pushed!

Not sure about the lawsuits was just told there is lawsuits in the works about this proposed anti gun amendment.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:51 PM

Well, I am not in MO, so it isn't high on my priorities list (but the forum needs some traffic ).

The first step for this "initiative" (referendum) is to gain a few thousand (I think it will need more than 40,000) signatures. That can put it on the ballot. Not sure how this "three versions" thing goes. I suspect they will have to focus on one of the three.

The process (according to the MO constitution) takes a few months.

(Who is "MFC" ? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri