Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move back home to Missouri if an opportunity arises?
Yes 8 50.00%
No 4 25.00%
Maybe 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I would like to start a new thread for all of us Missourians who have left home for many reasons. Let this be a discussion where everyone can share comfortably. Below are questions to help us to get started:

Did you feel that you made the right decision to leave the state?
Do you miss home at all?
Are you planning to move back one day to be closer to family again or maybe for retirement?
Are you wanting to return back to your hometown or somewhere in the state that is more appealing to you?

I will start. I was born in St. Louis and grew up mostly in Southeast Missouri, such as Cape Girardeau/Jackson areas and Kennett near Arkansas state line. For college, Mizzou was my first choice; however, I ended up in Fayetteville, AR due to a full ride scholarship offered by the University of Arkansas. After my graduation in 2011, I moved to live in Orlando, Florida for 3 years first. I have been living and working in Texas ever since. I did try to come back home but there were no job openings in my field. Whenever there is one, my job in TX pays much more plus there is no state income tax in TX. It is amazing how life leads you on a different path.

To be honest, I always thought that Southeast Missouri was incredibly boring. If I ever move back home, I think I would enjoy living in the college town of Columbia or Mid-County (Kirkwood, Webster Groves, etc.). I always enjoy these places every time I visit. I believe St. Louis Metro has alot to offer after living in DFW for many years. I am used to city living. I never consider Kansas City because it feels more like Kansas & Oklahoma vibe to me. Please feel free to share your opinions on the cities I mentioned.

If an opportunity ever arises as the timing feels right, I would be willing to take a pay cut and move back to be closer to family. As you get older, you start to see how much you miss out not being close to family. While MO is not perfect, MO seems to be in the middle of the pack in many categories compared to Florida and Texas that rank low in several categories due to its location in the South. MO is also affordable, especially for housing. TX has one of the highest property taxes in the country. I don't think I would ever be able to buy a house here due to so many people moving from California, New York, making the housing market extremely competitive along with high interest rate currently. It is very discouraging so housing is another reason to move back home.

I am looking forward to read what other Missourians have to share about their personal experiences.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 12-30-2023 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 07:13 AM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
I'm not a Missourian who left and came back. We moved to Missouri for a job opportunity for DH back in 89 -- live in Glendale (Kirkwood zip code), close in St. Louis suburb. I would have loved to be closer to family, but it wasn't in the cards for us. My parents were five hours away. I love it though that right now my son just lives 16 minutes away.

I thought I'd comment though as one of my tennis friends had her son (who is an attorney) move back to St. Louis from Washington D.C. about five years ago. First St. Louis just wasn't hip enough and didn't have the job opportunities, so Washington D.C. was great for a cool urban vibe and for getting some great work experience. Then there was a desire to be closer to home and her son came back and lived in the Central West End (parents said only place with enough of an urban vibe for him in the St. Louis area). For a few years her son worked at a law firm in St. Louis (partnership track), but really didn't like it. He met a beautiful young doctor who lives in St. Louis (online dating app) and they dated for two years and got married. Finding her made St. Louis even more appealing. Also her son found a great corporate lawyer position that he loves and got off the law firm partnership track grind. They bought a new home that looks historic in Lafayette Square and now have a daughter (She's less than a year old right now). And what do you know, now where he grew up looks great -- close to family, grandparents to help with daughter, great place to raise a kid, lots to do, slower pace of life than DC. I think they are now thinking about selling their home in Lafayette Square and looking within St. Louis close to Glendale (Kirkwood / Webster / Glendale area where he grew up.

There is a lot to be said about living close to family.

They recently had a big birthday party bash at his parent's house -- his 40th -- his dad's 70th (about 100 people or so). All seem so happy.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Did you feel that you made the right decision to leave the state?
Do you miss home at all?
Are you planning to move back one day to be closer to family again or maybe for retirement?
Are you wanting to return back to your hometown or somewhere in the state that is more appealing to you?

I am looking forward to read what other Missourians have to share about their personal experiences.
I grew up in St. Louis and hated it with a passion as a young adult. I was bored and thought the place was for people who was going no where in life. So I did what anyone in their right mind would do is move to a new place. Fast forward to 2014, I moved back to St. Louis and loved it.

I do believe I made the right decision to leave Missouri. It gave me a different perspective on life and people in different places. I moved to North Carolina, Tennessee and Illinois. All places gave me an experience that I will cherish. The only place made me miss home was Memphis Tennessee. The local culture and the city itself just didn't work for me. That was the only time when I missed my town.

Fast forward to today, I am loving St. Louis. Not because I grew up here but I am in a position to really enjoy living in my city. I don't think its my favorite town but it gives me a good life and will possibly retire here. I don't know yet. But thinking about, There are many places that offer what I like. Most are a lot larger and extremely expensive and doesn't make financial sense. Others are too far from family.
Quote:
I believe St. Louis Metro has alot to offer after living in DFW for many years. I am used to city living.
Out of curiosity, what makes you miss St. Louis or appreciate St. Louis after living in DFW? I know you mentioned the cost and certain cultural aspects but is DFW missing something? I personally want to like it but I can't. The areas that are walkable and give me what I am looking for seem contrived and very young. I hate to use this term but very pretentious. Master Planned Urban Community is what I found in Uptown.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-31-2023 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I grew up in St. Louis and hated it with a passion as a young adult. I was bored and thought the place was for people who was going no where in life. So I did what anyone in their right mind would do is move to a new place. Fast forward to 2014, I moved back to St. Louis and loved it.

I do believe I made the right decision to leave Missouri. It gave me a different perspective on life and people in different places. I moved to North Carolina, Tennessee and Illinois. All places gave me an experience that I will cherish. The only place made me miss home was Memphis Tennessee. The local culture and the city itself just didn't work for me. That was the only time when I missed my town.

Fast forward to today, I am loving St. Louis. Not because I grew up here but I am in a position to really enjoy living in my city. I don't think its my favorite town but it gives me a good life and will possibly retire here. I don't know yet. But thinking about, There are many places that offer what I like. Most are a lot larger and extremely expensive and doesn't make financial sense. Others are too far from family.

Out of curiosity, what makes you miss St. Louis or appreciate St. Louis after living in DFW? I know you mentioned the cost and certain cultural aspects but is DFW missing something? I personally want to like it but I can't. The areas that are walkable and give me what I am looking for seem contrived and very young. I hate to use this term but very pretentious. Master Planned Urban Community is what I found in Uptown.
To answer your question, DFW has a lot to offer with a lot of things to do; however, it is expensive to do anything for leisure and to enjoy culture like museums. Museums in most bigger cities have free days where you could go but that is not the case for most in DFW. For examples, Meow Wolf costs $50 per person and Christmas Lights at Gaylord Texan Hotel is like $113 per person, which are ridiculous. St. Louis still have many things you could do for free like museums. Other than Six Flags in Eureka, St. Louis have other things to do that do not cost an arm and a leg like City Museum.

My biggest complaint about DFW is traffic. After years of living here, you will get tired of traffic jams very quickly. So many people are moving to Texas cities from other states causing housing cost to skyrocket. It does not help when you have to compete with people from California, New York, Washington State, etc. who have cash up front to buy a house after selling their previous house worth $500,000 or more there. I know people are not exactly flocking to Missouri. Despite taking a pay cut to move back home, I know I would have an easier time buying a home in Missouri because it won't be as competitive when it is a good time to buy a house with lower interest rate within a few years as predicted by economists.

My favorite thing about Texans is that they are genuinely friendly. They will be themselves with you and be frank if needed (no superficial or passive aggressive). Yes, Missourians are friendly but in a different way. I can't explain it. I make friends so easily in Texas compared to Missouri and Florida to be honest.

My second favorite thing about Texas is that the landscape is diverse compared to Missouri. You have the coast, Hill Country, prairie, and dry western part with mountains.

Question:

I have never lived in St. Louis Metro. Are people in Mid-County (Kirkwood, Webster Groves, etc.) snooty or friendly? I know they are considered upscale areas but somewhat hippie with shops and farmer's market.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
I'm not a Missourian who left and came back. We moved to Missouri for a job opportunity for DH back in 89 -- live in Glendale (Kirkwood zip code), close in St. Louis suburb. I would have loved to be closer to family, but it wasn't in the cards for us. My parents were five hours away. I love it though that right now my son just lives 16 minutes away.

I thought I'd comment though as one of my tennis friends had her son (who is an attorney) move back to St. Louis from Washington D.C. about five years ago. First St. Louis just wasn't hip enough and didn't have the job opportunities, so Washington D.C. was great for a cool urban vibe and for getting some great work experience. Then there was a desire to be closer to home and her son came back and lived in the Central West End (parents said only place with enough of an urban vibe for him in the St. Louis area). For a few years her son worked at a law firm in St. Louis (partnership track), but really didn't like it. He met a beautiful young doctor who lives in St. Louis (online dating app) and they dated for two years and got married. Finding her made St. Louis even more appealing. Also her son found a great corporate lawyer position that he loves and got off the law firm partnership track grind. They bought a new home that looks historic in Lafayette Square and now have a daughter (She's less than a year old right now). And what do you know, now where he grew up looks great -- close to family, grandparents to help with daughter, great place to raise a kid, lots to do, slower pace of life than DC. I think they are now thinking about selling their home in Lafayette Square and looking within St. Louis close to Glendale (Kirkwood / Webster / Glendale area where he grew up.

There is a lot to be said about living close to family.

They recently had a big birthday party bash at his parent's house -- his 40th -- his dad's 70th (about 100 people or so). All seem so happy.

That is wonderful. It makes sense. Family has a strong pull, especially when you are older after having life experiences hence the reason I am considering a move back home. I do not want to live in my hometown though. I am leaning toward St. Louis Metro due to its close proximity to Southeast MO.

How are people in Mid-County overall? Are people in St. Charles County friendlier or about the same as Mid-County? Just curious.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Not a native, but I spent a large portion of my adult life in a couple different areas of Missouri.
I'd move back to the Kansas City area without too much arm-twisting if the opportunity came up.

Of course KC going to feel like Kansas since half the metro is in Kansas, but Oklahoma is another place altogether. I'd categorize it with Texas more than anything else. Once you get into Kansas, things start to feel quite a bit different.

Anyway, on a recent visit back to KC, it was a breath of fresh air. Felt more comfortable in my own skin there and it seems soulful and genuine. The 'punches above it's weight' cliche suites it well. There's a lot going on there. It feels vibrant. It's growing, but not annoyingly so.

The rest of Missouri is fine, but not for me as a place to live. Not a fan of rural Ozarks living, and Columbia and Springfield don't interest me at all. St. Louis is neat for a visit once in a while, but I don't see myself ever living there either.

One hurdle for me would be the recent decriminalization issue. I smelled the stuff being smoked in the parking garages on that recent visit and it just rubbed me the wrong way. Not saying people should be locked up for it, but... yeah.... I'm hoping my current state holds off on that for a while longer.... at least until I'm long gone.
KC sounds nice. I definitely need to visit and to see for myself. In fact, one of my nieces moved to Belton/Pelicular south of KC; she loves living there. Same goes for two of my childhood friends; one moved to Blue Springs and one moved to Lee's Summit. They also love it. Please keep in mind that they all moved from a small town of Kennett, MO in the Bootheel with limited life experiences. I don't think it will mean I will love it.

In what ways is KC better than St. Louis in your opinion? Just curious.

I am not familiar about decriminalization of cannabis since it is still illegal in Texas where I am. I know MO only allows medical unless the law has changed recently. I hope cannabis does not change each state drastically like the stories I have been hearing about Colorado.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 01-02-2024 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Misspelling of Bolton (Belton)

Old 01-02-2024, 05:52 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
I am not familiar about decriminalization of cannabis since it is still illegal in Texas where I am. I know MO only allows medical unless the law has changed recently. I hope cannabis does not change each state drastically like the stories I have been hearing about Colorado.
Cannabis was legalized in Missouri in the 2022 general election.

In response to the original question, I moved to Oklahoma in 2006 for employment reasons. Moved back as soon as I retired (our plan all along). All our family is in the Kansas City area. I liked Oklahoma City a lot but family trumps everything.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Cannabis was legalized in Missouri in the 2022 general election.

In response to the original question, I moved to Oklahoma in 2006 for employment reasons. Moved back as soon as I retired (our plan all along). All our family is in the Kansas City area. I liked Oklahoma City a lot but family trumps everything.
Interesting! I didn't know MO has allowed recreational cannabis recently.

I have been to OKC a few times. What do you like about OKC better than Kansas City? I am still undecided on which MO city to move back. I am open to KC if it is worth considering.

I am currently leaning toward STL Metro and Columbia. For STL Metro, I like Mid-County and St. Charles County. Columbia seems to be a nice big college town. I almost chose to attend Mizzou back in 2005.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:44 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Didn't move from Missouri, but I lived in the KC area for 20 years and moved back to southern Missouri. Different as night and day.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:33 PM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
Quote:
That is wonderful. It makes sense. Family has a strong pull, especially when you are older after having life experiences hence the reason I am considering a move back home. I do not want to live in my hometown though. I am leaning toward St. Louis Metro due to its close proximity to Southeast MO.

How are people in Mid-County overall? Are people in St. Charles County friendlier or about the same as Mid-County? Just curious.
You might want to do a separate thread on this topic to get more responses and thoughts on this one. I don't know the answer to questions like population of Mid County -- but it's pretty good sized. (Kirkwood has about 30,000, Webster has about 23,000, Glendale has 6,000 and it goes on and on with all the little mid-country cities that border each other. St. Louis County covers a lot of ground, and all together has a population of around 1 million.

We have found mid country to be a really friendly area. It helps a lot to have a dog as you meet so many people dog walking. Honestly, once I had a dog is when I really felt like I was part of the neighborhood lol.

I'm really not sure about St. Charles Country as I never lived there, but many people I work with live there (more square footage for your dollar typically). A newer area - but there is a historic area too. I think in general St. Charles County is move conservative politically than St. Louis City and Mid County. St. Charles County has a population of around 410,000 with the city proper being around 71,000.

I know my son's future in-laws (He's getting married in May) live in a city out a little further than St. Charles but are in St. Charles county. It's a little more remote which is what they wanted -- beautiful, they have a big garden -- sort of feels like they are out in the country, but still plenty of neighbors and St. Charles is really close by.

There are some really nice areas in the city too and I love the architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri