Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:26 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Gee Northwoods, what a surprise, especially since the poster totally supports your political point of view.
Ahhh, you're gonna love Wright County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
What I find unfair is that Obama is the winner, and we were asked to be "gracious" winners, and therefore step back, and let the discussion end. I totally get that.

Only problem is that it's still okay for those whose opinions are in agreement with a certain point of view to keep stating their opinions...they are encouraged to speak freely and are supported. I find that somewhat hypocritical. Either we all say, okay, it's over, and the fat lady has sung, or we can go on discussing the issues.

I don't have a problem with anyone having different points of view. Some I agree with, some I don't. I do have a problem with a subtle hijacking of this thread to allow only some opinions, as a statement of "fair play".

Old 11-14-2008, 03:58 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Smile shadowcaver: spoken as a member, not as a mod...

Quote:
What I find unfair is that Obama is the winner, and we were asked to be "gracious" winners, and therefore step back, and let the discussion end. I totally get that.

Only problem is that it's still okay for those whose opinions are in agreement with a certain point of view to keep stating their opinions...they are encouraged to speak freely and are supported. I find that somewhat hypocritical. Either we all say, okay, it's over, and the fat lady has sung, or we can go on discussing the issues.

I don't have a problem with anyone having different points of view. Some I agree with, some I don't. I do have a problem with a subtle hijacking of this thread to allow only some opinions, as a statement of "fair play".
tambre - I am [yes, this is common, but still...]

Where at within this thread has it been asked for anyone to be "gracious winners"?

Where/who/when was there a hijack, subtle or of any kind, such that to imply that "only opinions" could be made, "as statement of 'fair play'"?

To my knowledge, for the vast greatest part, all posts have been quite amicable, friendly, and yet open. No one has been told to not share their opinion - regarding any candidate.

From what I see, appears that you have an issue with:
(a) that NWV agreed w/ a post that was made by mo_girl - and NWV even put a "" with a "" at the end. No harm/foul there to me... even if would have been someone supporting Obama.
and
(b) evidently thinking that only those posts are allowed "that okay for those whose opinions are in agreement with a certain point of view to keep stating their opinions...they are encouraged to speak freely and are supported". Please let me know where you got that idea from?

Thanks.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:49 AM

Hi Shadow Caver...

First, I appreciate you stepping out from behind the curtain...you're much less scary that way, lol.

My problem wasn't with the sentiment of anyone's posts, it was my personal interpretation of NWV statement to be "gracious winners". To me that means, to stop any further comments, as our candidate has already won. Don't add insult to injury, etc. Okay, fine, game over. Let's shake hands and be friends. Time to move on. What's done is done.

I feel that NWV always stated her opinions in a reasonable, constructive way. I just felt that it was sort of unfair to ask others to be "gracious winners" and then continue to go on supporting the negative rhetoric about Obama. This has been an interesting thread. Hope that explains my comments.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
mo_girl posted her opinion. I will continue to support the right for anyone to express their opinion and/or thoughts. For a 23 yr. old to have at least compared both candidates and then come to her own conclusion, I find interesting. Yes, I did post a reference to 'gracious winners', due to the many and extremely nasty and vicious comments still, to this day, being posted in many threads about Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin. (I am not talking about the comments made in reference to Pres.Elect Obama, that is not the issue here.)

Nowhere in mo_girl's post do I find any name calling nor any of these vicious comments. Reading her very first sentence, one can determine that she is/was not enamored of either of the candidates and then she continues to express her opinion and why she came to the conclusion that she did. I respect this and I still find it an intelligent and thoughtful post, even if mo_girl had an opinion that I did not agree with. She compared the two. Many would not have even done this. Perhaps many have voted along party lines instead of the person, no matter which party. Oh, and BTW, I am an Independent and vote for the person, especially for local and state offices. And also in this race for the Presidency of the U.S.A.

I will continue to respect the right of others to express their opinions. However, I will continue to feel that it is unnecessary for anyone to use gutter language in referring to losers or winners of this past election. And yes, let's move on and support our country and our leaders.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:16 AM

So, you feel it's fair to protect both McCain and Palin from negative comments...but "as regards to Pres. Elect Obama, that is not an issue here". Why not?

Old 11-15-2008, 01:12 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Quote:
So, you feel it's fair to protect both McCain and Palin from negative comments...but "as regards to Pres. Elect Obama, that is not an issue here". Why not?
Please reread my last post. The discussion was about mo_girl's post and my response to it. Again, the comments that have been made about Pres.Elect Obama are not the issue about being 'gracious winners'. My reference is limited to mo_girl's post. I specifically stated:'I am not talking about the comments, etc., not in this post. Again, please quit taking umbrage where none is intended. . As you stated, move on. Thank you.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Okay, no harm, no foul. Let's move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri