Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 32,680 times

Advertisements

Hello Gang;
Newbe here;
And here is the Moral;
New to Missouri, orig. from NorthEast / NY / Pa., Relocating self and business to Laclede Missouri 64651 and have no idea of said area, just fell in love with the huge old home and here i shall be shortly.

Can anyone give me any info on said area being Laclede that is ?
Area Profile, you get very little on sites regarding internet stuff.

I looked up Restaurants and NONE came up ,,,, Does this mean i'm stuck with marshmellows from WallMart ?

How about a Saloon / Club / Bar / Watering hole ?

Any info would be Appreciated !
Thank you;
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 09:24 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
According to my highway map, Laclede, Mo., is in northern Missouri in the middle of nowhere. I don't know anything much about north Missouri, but the map says they ain't but about 400 people live there. No wonder you don't get much on an internet search. What kind of business are you relocating there? The county may be nothing more than soybean and corn fields.

Don't you think you might ought to have done this research BEFORE you bought the place? I suspect in a few weeks you're going to be one mighty unhappy ex-urbanite looking to relocate back to the city.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
Oh, it's not all doom and gloom.

My guess is that there's probably several restaurants, stores, and a bar or two in Brookfield, just down the highway a few miles.

There's also Macon, a little bigger town about a half hour away, and bigger still Kirksville, at about an hour and a half away.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Laclede is very rural. All my ancestors were in Laclede and are buried there. Lebanon is the "big town" in Laclede and it's not that big, but is growing. I'm sure there are bars, etc. in Lebanon but you'll have to go to Springfield for anything bigger. What part of Laclede County will you be in? My relatives settled in Goodwin Hollow about 1810. They lived near there and Stoutland and Phillipsburg and Sleeper, all in the same general area.

I was there in October and actually Lebanon had grown quite a bit since the last time I was there. And I noticed quite a few huge new houses out in the backroads near where my dad grew up; I guess people buying up land and building houses. The old country roads are just where he remembers them, and then there will be a huge new house built on the land he was raised on. I have considered moving there when I retire to work on genealogy. Wish I could buy the land my family once owned but I think it's in the hands of another family member who doesn't want to give it up even though they don't live there.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:37 PM

I think Laclede, the town, and Laclede, the county, are in different parts of Missouri. Maybe I'm looking at my map incorrectly. I am, after all, just a dumb old country boy.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I think Laclede, the town, and Laclede, the county, are in different parts of Missouri. Maybe I'm looking at my map incorrectly. I am, after all, just a dumb old country boy.
Ahhh....I just assumed he meant Laclede County. I guess I didn't realize there was a town called Laclede.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,932 times
How do you buy a house in an area that you know nothing about? That's unfathomable to me!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 32,680 times
Default Answers to All / Thank's Guys & Gals

Alright where do we start ?
As for the area, I'm moving next month meaning Jan to Laclede the Town in Linn County and yes JackPot only 470---something living there.

I think you all forget i'm from NY, i grew up in the Upper Part of the Bronx / City Island and let me tell you, there was only 4,000 on the Island but in the rest of the boro / Bronx there was 4 million , yepper 4 mil,,, so now you can see where and why i want peace and quiet.

As for buying unseen or really not knowing the area, this is common practice in NY, we buy on impulse and demand, property goes so fast there and yes the price is 20 times more there, what i paid for this house that is almost 3,000 sq. ft., i would of paid 2 million for in NY and with 1/4 amount of land.

As for my work, i am a Licensed Architect and Builder or Contractor as others might say, i'm 47 and planning to retire in 5 years, so now the cat is out of the bag, in 5 years i'm just kicking back and gone fishing, yipeeee, so hence, reason for moving to a small town of 400, to regain my sanity !

Thank's Guys
Keep in Touch;
JB

Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM

As for my work, i am a Licensed Architect and Builder or Contractor as others might say, i'm 47 and planning to retire in 5 years, so now the cat is out of the bag, in 5 years i'm just kicking back and gone fishing, yipeeee, so hence, reason for moving to a small town of 400, to regain my sanity !

How in sam hill are you going to practice architecture in a town the size of Laclede?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
How in sam hill are you going to practice architecture in a town the size of Laclede?
Now really, that's a fair question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri