Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:23 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,360 times

Advertisements

Hi LJ, Ozarksboy, Silvermouse, OA and others,

Sometimes like e-mail, these posts may come off too harsh... I have respect and good will for all the people on this thread, even those that have different opinions than mine (wrong ones, lol ). I enjoy a good discussion/argument. Hope I haven't insulted anyone, and if so would like to apologize. No harm intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Ozarks Boy,

I get your sarcasm that once again, a newcomer is going to try and show rural folks how to do things. Sorry, that is just my opinion of the most logical way to ensure that any population growth is directed in a way that the local people feel their quality of life has been preserved. How would you propose to direct the tide of population growth in rural areas (besides telling people to stay away or live in the cities)?

I certainly wouldn't want to come in as a newcomer and start telling people what is best for them. Just "suggesting " a possible way, that local people themselves could preserve what they cherish.
Sarcasm? Why do you say that? And why are you differentiating between newcomers and local people? Once a newcomer moves here isn't he or she local? I presume newcomers want to be Missourians if they move here.

Tambre, my friend, this is a free country. You have every right to come here and express your opinion about countywide zoning, opportunities in education, healthcare needs, recreation, opportunities for youth, etc., etc. It has been pointed out on one of these boards that those of us who did not leave the country and move to the city are not among the best and the brightest, so newcomers must take the lead and bring modern thinking to rural America. Here is a quotation from a website devoted to helping people move to small towns:
Small towns are in a state of expansion and development. They need modern thinkers like you who can lead them to more advanced ways of doing things. Volunteer your talent to initiatives of churches, hospitals, and fire brigades. Doing this will make you more committed to your community and will help you appreciate your new home.
As you can see, you not only have the right to tell us what is best for your neighbors but the responsibility to speak out in your new community. We lifelong rural and small-town residents apparently have failed to see how much we need your leadership. So come on and lead.

Write letters to the editor of the local paper, telling readers not only what you like about your new hometown but also sharing some of your concerns. Perhaps you could include information about how your former home city or suburb handled these concerns. For instance, does your new home lack county zoning? Have you moved to a Missouri county, invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in a beautiful new home and have now found out that someone can LEGALLY move a mobile home (trailer house) onto the property across the road? Are you concerned about hunting? Are people firing guns on the property near yours? Are you worried about the appearance of the property next door and would you like to have some legislation to make those people clean up their property? Well, share those concerns in a letter to the editor.

2. Do more than just write. Anyone can write. Be bold! Take action! Go to the next meeting of the county commission, the board of aldermen or the city council, and express your concerns. Do not be shy about asking for new city or county codes or even some additional taxes. Missouri is known as a low tax state, so a little bit more taxation for a good cause won't hurt.

I'm trying to be open-minded about newcomers and the changes they offer us. Thanks for listening.

The NEW Ozarks Boy

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
LOL The New Ozark Boy LOL
He's gonna nice a newbie right into a Arse Whoopin...........

Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
Thank you Ozarksboy and everyone else for listening too--and allowing me to vent! I've realized since then that....well, my example of the guy yelling at us to go back to Missouri 22 years ago.....I've been holding a grudge that I thought I had left behind me, but it bubbled up to the surface as far as not feeling welcome in a new place goes. I allowed this to happen.

For this, I apologize. I just have to let go of that instance. While never wanting to impose California's worst attributes on St. Joseph, Missouri (our likely future home), I can never allow myself to be driven by cynicism and bitterness, and let that negativity affect any new people Mrs. Northbayeric and I encounter when we get moved back there.

We really do want to become Missourians; and in my case, return to my Midwestern roots. Whether we can do so in time for the 2010 census remains to be seen. But we think of Missourians as a whole as genuine, outgoing, hardy, family-oriented, friendly, and unpretentious. We're putting our home up for sale again in April and trusting in God's plan for us, which at least seems to be either a flat-out No, or Yes, but you need to wait awhile longer as far as making the big move there is concerned.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Hey Eric
I remember those plates.....and that's why you have to see where Ozark and them are coming from..We lost California,, all that's left is for the refugees like us to leave...I gotta keep pushing 2 for english for 6 more years....

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
"Aprima numero dos por ingles," --yep, I hear you, Bassman! And to think, we haven't even talked about who might succeed Arnold as California's next governor! Hang in there, and may the fishing at Lake Berryessa always give you good results!

Maybe back then most of the "Welcome to California Now Go Home"-types had the illegals in mind more than ol' Eric from Flyover Country, and a Cardinal baseball fan to this very day!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Sarcasm? Why do you say that? And why are you differentiating between newcomers and local people? Once a newcomer moves here isn't he or she local? I presume newcomers want to be Missourians if they move here.

Tambre, my friend, this is a free country. You have every right to come here and express your opinion about countywide zoning, opportunities in education, healthcare needs, recreation, opportunities for youth, etc., etc. It has been pointed out on one of these boards that those of us who did not leave the country and move to the city are not among the best and the brightest, so newcomers must take the lead and bring modern thinking to rural America. Here is a quotation from a website devoted to helping people move to small towns:
Small towns are in a state of expansion and development. They need modern thinkers like you who can lead them to more advanced ways of doing things. Volunteer your talent to initiatives of churches, hospitals, and fire brigades. Doing this will make you more committed to your community and will help you appreciate your new home.
As you can see, you not only have the right to tell us what is best for your neighbors but the responsibility to speak out in your new community. We lifelong rural and small-town residents apparently have failed to see how much we need your leadership. So come on and lead.

Write letters to the editor of the local paper, telling readers not only what you like about your new hometown but also sharing some of your concerns. Perhaps you could include information about how your former home city or suburb handled these concerns. For instance, does your new home lack county zoning? Have you moved to a Missouri county, invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in a beautiful new home and have now found out that someone can LEGALLY move a mobile home (trailer house) onto the property across the road? Are you concerned about hunting? Are people firing guns on the property near yours? Are you worried about the appearance of the property next door and would you like to have some legislation to make those people clean up their property? Well, share those concerns in a letter to the editor.

2. Do more than just write. Anyone can write. Be bold! Take action! Go to the next meeting of the county commission, the board of aldermen or the city council, and express your concerns. Do not be shy about asking for new city or county codes or even some additional taxes. Missouri is known as a low tax state, so a little bit more taxation for a good cause won't hurt.

I'm trying to be open-minded about newcomers and the changes they offer us. Thanks for listening.

The NEW Ozarks Boy
Dear NEW Ozarks Boy,

Guess you have your mind made up to hold "all nonlocals" accountable for one article that one person wrote about the "superiority" of city people's intellect and how rural people need to listen to their ideas. We're not all like that. Some of our ideas might actually be good, though. Seems like this one article has obviously offended you deeply. Seems like you base all your opinions of nonrural folks, on it. That's a shame for you. I hope you can get over it. Maybe with time you will be able to find a small bit of forgiveness for that all-encompassing article about how "all of the nonrural people think about rural people".

But, back to the topic of growth for a moment. I am still interested in your opinion about how to manage population growth in rural Missouri.

Last edited by tambre; 01-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Thank you Ozarksboy and everyone else for listening too--and allowing me to vent! I've realized since then that....well, my example of the guy yelling at us to go back to Missouri 22 years ago.....I've been holding a grudge that I thought I had left behind me, but it bubbled up to the surface as far as not feeling welcome in a new place goes. I allowed this to happen.

For this, I apologize. I just have to let go of that instance. While never wanting to impose California's worst attributes on St. Joseph, Missouri (our likely future home), I can never allow myself to be driven by cynicism and bitterness, and let that negativity affect any new people Mrs. Northbayeric and I encounter when we get moved back there.

We really do want to become Missourians; and in my case, return to my Midwestern roots. Whether we can do so in time for the 2010 census remains to be seen. But we think of Missourians as a whole as genuine, outgoing, hardy, family-oriented, friendly, and unpretentious. We're putting our home up for sale again in April and trusting in God's plan for us, which at least seems to be either a flat-out No, or Yes, but you need to wait awhile longer as far as making the big move there is concerned.
NBE, I wish you the best of luck with selling your house in April and making Missouri your new home.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Some of our ideas might actually be good, though.

But, back to the topic of growth for a moment. I am still interested in your opinion about how to manage population growth in rural Missouri.
There's only one way to manage the population growth brought to some rural counties by newcomers, and you are the one who broached that subject. Planning and zoning is one of your ideas. I'm not going to call it a good idea, as you have done, but I will acknowledge it seems to be the only idea.

With increased population density, especially along the transportation corridors, comes a need for regulation of growth. Cities such as Rolla can, and do, regulate the growth in the incorporated areas along the highways. Most rural counties, though, do not.

I don't know if state law allows counties the right to zone only along specific routes. I think counties can vote in only countywide planning and zoning. For some counties, that's the only way to manage that growth.

People who live in those counties but not along the transportation corridors will fight planning and zoning. That's why they chose either to stay in the rural counties or move to the rural counties; they don't want the regulation.

So from where will the impetus for countywide zoning come? It won't come from most rural residents. It won't come from newbies like Cali Bassman who's looking forward to becoming a Missourian so he can get away from regulation.

It looks like it's going to have to come from people like you, Tambre, people who want to live the rural lifestyle offered by Missouri but who also understand the realities of the modern-day world, i.e. we need to regulate that growth caused by movement between states.

As you've pointed out, people are moving here in droves from all over the United States, and will continue to do so. We're going to have to zone, plan and regulate that herd of folks; otherwise we're going to uglify the Ozarks.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
CaliBassman is FROM Missouri, Ozarksboy, he knows my family in SE Mo, so I wouldnt really call him a newbie..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri