Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM

29 posts, read 35,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsheba View Post
I work from my home for a company in Houston..so I will take my job with me, thankfully.
Guess you didn't see all my posts. I am on Social Security. Wish I could work, but can't hold up for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Has anyone yet corrected all this mis/non information and simply answered the question? After what, five years?

Ava was never called Militia Springs.
It was however called Cow Skin before it was changed to Ava. It was established as Cow Skin on Dec. 10, 1849. Later changed to Ava in 1881. At no time was the same location called Militia Springs.
Militia Springs was actually a farm owned by a William Huff. It was 1.5 miles north of present day Ava. The State Militia camped on the farm in the Civil War. Hence, a post office was set up.
About the time the city of Ava was founded, Militia Springs was also returned back to full ownership of William Huff and the post office was moved to Ava by a M. C. Reynolds. Hence, the mixed up story simply comes from the movement of a physical post office which was transported on a towsack by M. C. Reynolds to its new location. This info is from: "A Reminiscent History of Douglas County, Missouri., 1857-1957." By J. E. Curry.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM

6 posts, read 110,019 times
I have to say great job Indy4570. I live in Illinois right now but have been looking for my "little bit of heavan" near Ava also. I just returned to Il. for a couple of weeks and plan to go back to the Ava area and continue my search for a small acreage in the country. Ava is a beautiful place and I have found the people there very friendly and helpful. There is just something about that area that makes you feel like you are home.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 PM

29 posts, read 35,144 times
Thumbs up Good to know

You folks didn't mention you've got a dandy health food store in Ava. Nice!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,595 times
I also live in Ava. Been in the area since 1998.

It's a decent place to live, but as with most things there are pros and cons - and some of what one person considers "pro" is another's "con" and vice versa - ya know!

IMHO there are two main problems with this town: First off, there are far, far too many dogs - I'd guess there are more dogs than people. It seems like at least 10% of the population is either making a living from selling puppies or supplementing their income that way. If you like to listen to dogs bark, yelp, whine, howl and whimper non-stop, you'll feel right at home in Ava. It's like you're living in the largest kennel in the world.

The city has laws against "annoying barking dogs" as well as dogs "at large" (i.e. off-leash) but the police are reluctant to enforce on the barking, and Animal Control is one guy with a truck who's off-duty most of the time. The locals have learned what hours they can let their dogs run loose without fear of having them caught and impounded. And many do let the dogs loose! Your garden is definitely not safe unless securely fenced. *You* might not be safe either! I've been attacked by neighbors' dogs while walking in the middle of the street not even near their homes.

My #2 complaint about Ava is there's way too much religion going on. If you're not a "born again" believer, you will be hammered until you consent to regularly attend some church. Not a month passes without someone knocking on the door to sell me on attending their church. One time I thought I could discourage them by saying "No thanks, I'm not a Christian" but the guy looked at me like I had suddenly turned into a demon, and the unwanted visits increased!

This kind of badgering is annoying enough coming from strangers, but when you make friends in the area they will most likely all hound you incessantly to accompany them to their church, too. Of course, if you *want* to go to church, it won't be a problem for you, but if you happen to be non-religious, it gets to be a real pain.

Rental houses are very scarce in and around Ava. Apartments are scarcer still. You might end up spending longer than you meant to stay in a motel. Or you might end up having to rent in Springfield until something comes up.

One final caution: The town is loaded with drug abusers. Theft and burglary are on the rise. A lot of it is high-school kids and recent grads. They're noisy and belligerent and cruel to pets and wildlife. You will probably at some point have no choice but to witness some of their antics. If you've got a heart where animals are concerned, it will be very disturbing, and if you try to help an animal in trouble, there will probably be some sneaky form of retribution, like BBs through your windows, or your car vandalized, or your garden torn up. At the very least they will smash your mailbox.

In the last few years I've had prescription meds stolen from my mailbox, tools taken from the yard, car windows bashed in and more (that I'm not at liberty to discuss on a public forum). It's much better out in the country if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri