Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,988,893 times

Advertisements

Would like to gather info (positive and "negative") on living in Columbia Missouri, where I went to college and lived many years ago. What are your impressions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 AM

158 posts, read 371,771 times
Me too, another New Englander here looking for info on Columbia, thinking about leaving this old mill town behind.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,554,691 times
I can't really tell you the negative or the positive.... All I can tell you it is small city nothing like kansas or St. Louis city wise.Columbia got everything from activities,parks, malls and college town. A great place to grow a family or single life.Your not far from the Country if you don't mind the drive and you will get friendly people and not so friendly people. It is all really depends what your looking for?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,117 times
COLUMBIA IS HEAVEN ON EARTH. No joke. I've lived all over the U.S. and my heart is still in Columbia. It's still got enough of a "small town" feel so that you'd recognize it from years past, but it's a very sophisticated place these days - the per capita gourmet/cutting-edge (but still affordable, in many cases!) restaurants is insanely high, and the number of cultural offerings and interesting shopping way outranks most cities of its size. It's got old homes near the hipster downtown area (but far enough away from campus so that you're in a peaceful setting), and new suburban homes with large lots on the edge of things. If you're into biking and outdoorsy stuff, Columbia is paradise.. I live in the Washington, D.C. area and cannot ride my bike down the street now without getting hit. In Columbia, I used to bike all over town, even at night (yeah, it was totally safe.. I had a bright headlight ) and could easily bike to fantastic biking/walking/hiking trails both large and small in the foothills of the lovely Ozark Plateau. I couldn't recommend the Columbia area highly enough!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:54 PM

486 posts, read 1,036,330 times
Still a great town (and still what I would call a town, although a 'big town'). It recently passed 100,000 in population, as it's grown pretty quickly over the past couple of decades. I'm not sure when you were there last, but it's spread out quite a bit to the north and south. I gather that you already know the good things about it. It's a nice place, but I prefer a bigger city in general.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM

90 posts, read 222,806 times
Like all Californians, I am thinking of moving to Missouri. I have had several close friends move to different cities all over the state, and they all love where they are. You have now given me another city to think about and visit. I love the weather in the Pacific Northwest, but Oregon is beyond hopeless with a 24% unemployment rate, and Seattle is an expensive place to live. I am told that even in the small towns, there is employment in Missouri. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM

8 posts, read 44,246 times
Default Spaniel Girl, thanks for the links

I have not visited Columbia. I have drove by on the freeway. There are a lot more jobs in Columbia then in Summersville.

I am glad I found you.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 44,246 times
Default They have a thornberry street in Columbia

I thought that was interesting. 3 bed 2 1/2 bath for 119,900.00.

I looked on yahoo real estate.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM

938 posts, read 3,508,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielGirl View Post
I am told that even in the small towns, there is employment in Missouri. Thanks for the info.
The unemployment rate in Missouri is 9.3% right now. Not that much less than California at 11.5%. Missouri is ranked 34 out of all 50 states for unemployment. If someone told you jobs were easy to get in Missouri, they were very wrong. While the cost of living may be cheap in Missouri, jobs pay low outside of St. Louis and Kansas City. If you are going to seriously consider moving to Missouri any further, you should really do your homework...33 other states area better choices with regard to employment at the moment.

FYI, the unemployment rate in Oregon is 12.1%. See: Unemployment Rates for States

Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 PM

90 posts, read 222,806 times
No, I didn't say easy-I said available. I know that wages will be less than in a state like California. What you need to remember:all of the "official" lists of unemployed only count the people collecting unemployment. If you have exhausted the state check, or have stop looking, they don't count you. You don't exist. Hence=the Oregon figure. Hospitals in California are still hiring RN's,LVN's. & CNA's-but that will stop if ObamaCare passes. Otherwise, even well heeled, degree(s) plus people are scrambling. California has layed off teachers,police, and prison guards to name a few. Between the environ-mental and the do-good-politicians, most private businesses are scrambling to other states.The Golden State is now mostly tarnished brass.
P.S. Hey Mr President!!! Exactly WHERE did those shovel ready jobs go??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri