Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,409 times

Advertisements

We are planning on commuting to Lebanon for work. We checked out the Camdenton, Linn Creek, Osage Beach area and it all seamed really nice.We didn't have the time to travel all over though. we can't find much info on areas on the East side of Springfield. We are willing to drive an hour if we find a really great place to live. We noticed housing prices are great over in St. Robert/Waynesville area, but there really doesn't seam like there is anything to do within a half hour drive. I know these cities are in three different directions, but that is my problem. We don't know which way to go. We have a boy starting kindergarten so a good elementary is important. It would be good to be in a good family oriented neighborhood with having small children, so there would be friends to play with. It's just a BIG change coming from such a huge city where we have just about anything you could need or want. But we are excited for something new. If anyone has any good info for me I would appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
If I were in your situation I would either choose to live in Lebanon or commute from Marshfield. Marshfield puts you closer to Springfield for weekend shopping or entertainment. It's a nice town.

If you're willing to travel up to an hour, Springfield is within reach. I cannot say enough good things about Springfield. My family has lived here since 1999 and we really love it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,795 times
i would agree marshfield is a nice little town close to sgf and I-44, i think you would be happy there.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 38,653 times
Unhappy Longing for Civilization

Whatever you do, do NOT move to Camdenton. My husband and I moved here in December and we are absolutely miserable. The locals do not want outsiders here and they make sure you know it. We bought a brand new house the is substandard and we're stuck here until we can bring the house up to code and sell it. Lebanon is nice, we looked at Marshfield, and Stafford, they were both nice and close to Springfield. Camdenton is a century behind the times and people smile at you while they are ripping you off. I have lived in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and other large and small towns, Camdenton is the WORST Spare yourself alot of misery and stay out of Camden County.

Longing for Civilization....................

Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM

42 posts, read 217,037 times
I live in Marshfield and it would put you nicely in line to travel to lebanon or Springfield. The school system is good, the housing is affordable and they have several nice restuarants and sports a super walmart for your shopping needs. About the only thing to go to Springfield for now is a movie or Bass Pro shop. The city has good sports program both baseball and soccer. They have a fair grounds for rodeos, fairs, and tractor pulls etc. Home of the Hubble space telescope creator and a renowned 4th of July parades which has featured Presidents. This little town has alot of traffic but has future road plans to accomodate. Also, this is the seat of Webster County and the taxes are affordable. If I can be of help just check my profile and message me.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM

145 posts, read 655,515 times
I totally agree about not moving to Camdenton--avoid it. Not only the stuff about how they treat outsiders, but you'll be in crappy traffic trying to commute. What in the world is bringing you to work in Lebanon? I lived there for over a decade, my parents and brother still live there, and I'm trying to imagine what is bringing you there jobwise (and otherwise!) Lebanon is nicer to visit than to live in, personally. Hope they like you from the start or you will have a hard time integrating with the locals (they are highly conservative and wary of 'outsiders', though not as bad as Camdenton by any means).
Marshfield is an excellent suggestion--not too bad of a commute, close to Springfield when you need it, and it's a decent sized town.
Areas to the West of Lebanon on Hwy 64 are really nice, even though there are not many towns that way. If you have kids in school, though, be careful to NOT move to the Joel E. Barber school district.
St. Robert/Waynesville--avoid it, overpriced and not friendly, worst schools.
Conway area is another option for a shorter commute, but crappy schools (again, don't know if that's a concern). It's a sleepy, very small town and nothing to do there at all.
There are lots of little towns in the countryside that are nice places and easy to commute to Lebanon from; my advice is to avoid anything to the north of Lebanon past Dover on Hwy 5, and don't go past Marshfield area on I-44. Commuting from Springfield gets old fast and will complicate your choices tenfold. Best of luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 AM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
Talking Try Cabool

HI,
My hubby and I are moving to Cabool, it is a small town east of Springfield. It is beautiful, clean and inexpensive to live there. We bought a 1600 sq. ft., 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 tier deck with pool on 5 acres for $65K. Our taxes are $273 a year. We are in the country but we are only a few miles outside of town. If you are willing to commute to work I would recommend looking into the Cabool area. We fell in love with it. We are moving the 21st of June and we do have pictures of the area. Let me know if you want me to send them your way to give you an idea of what I am talking about. I will not be able to send them until I unpack. We have talked with several people about the schools and have not heard anything bad. The crime rate is low. People are real friendly too.

Good luck and God Bless.

Kim and Jim

Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 PM

I'm sure Cabool is really lovely, but that would be a very long commute to Lebanon, more than Springfield--at least an hour and 15mn to 1h30. You can find cheap areas in the countryside of Laclede or Webster counties that are probably in the same price range or a little more, far closer to Lebanon.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM

106 posts, read 323,636 times
la_missourienne,

Thank you for the correction......I have to learn the area. I was using a map of MO and not real sure. I do know where Springfield is. LOL, but who doesn't. We are hoping to do some sight seeing when we get down. I can only imagine what some of the other areas are like. Thank you again, I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

God Bless,

Kim

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM

Kim,
You're welcome--didn't want it to seem like a correction, just a heads up for distance (since the original post was about commuting to Leb.) and I know you'll learn the area fast once you have arrived. As for site seeing, depending on your preference and how far you want to travel, there are lots of options; come to the board for advice if you need it (duh!) and to inform us about Cabool--hope it is even more wonderful than the price you got for your property Am curious to know how the locals there will treat you, what you discover about the area, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri