Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times

Advertisements

We are planning our very first trip to Missouri and the Ozarks. Going the first week of April and am doing research.
We are looking for gorgeous.
Also, nice place (hotel/resort/motel) to stay with views/water.
Where could we get a great introduction to your area and what should we not miss? Where are the places that make you proud to live there?
Our thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Hmmm...well the first week of April might be rainy/soppy, maybe cold, maybe still brown and not green yet. Much prettier in May/June/July. I don't really have any advice on where to go but I would say somewhere around Branson probably. There won't be much going on anywhere else that time of year. I love the drive from Springfield to Branson on a summer evening, leaving Springfield 5 or 6 or so. The shadows from the sun setting are beautiful - the trees, the hills, the winding highway.

But if you want to see the Ozarks when it's pretty, summer is the time to go (in my opinion).

Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Big Cedar Resort outside of Branson in the SW Ozarks might be what you're looking for. However, if you Google Branson, MO resorts you'll find a lot them. Of course, that presupposes this is an area that would appeal to you. It certainly appeals to us. We have a home on Table Rock Lake about 23 miles SE of Branson and love the area.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
First, recommend looking at this thread, and these links:
//www.city-data.com/forum/st-lo...-st-louis.html
Missouri Vacations, Travel & Tourism | Missouri Ozarks Vacation Guide to Arcadia Valley MO, Ironton, Pilot Knob, Arcadia, Black River MO Tourism
Missouri's Ozark Heritage Region | Travel, Vacation, Recreation
Mid Missouri Tourism Council...
Travel Guide to Missouri Tourism, Vacations, Attractions, and Events
Welcome to Missouri -- Close to Home. Far From Ordinary.

There is a lot of info in the above, and w/o knowing more of your desires/tastes [besides statement that looking for a resort/hotel near water - which the following really doesn't do you much good ], would be difficult to advise... can you answer the following, give us a better idea on what you would like, and then what option to suggest.
- do you guys desire to travel to one location, spend the week there, use that as a base?
- or, travel around mostly, seeing different sights, experiencing more places?
- granted one week goes by quite fast, so difficult to get relaxation + sight-seeing for some people, depending on personality.
- what is gorgeous to you and yours? reason ask is that one person's gorgeous is another person's blah.

Reason that am asking, there are MANY potentials, MANY different routes to suggest. For example, one suggestion would be, based on belief that you are coming from the Chicago area :
- enter StL, spend a night in this fair city, get a taste for what she offers - one last night in civilization , in some historic, area.
- head west on 40/64 to Weldon Springs.
- continue west, but on MO94, heading towards Hermann.
- take MO19 south to Cherryville, then MO49 through Viburnum towards the Johnson Shut-Ins, Elephant Rocks, Arcadia Valley area...
- pick up MO21, going South towards Ellington.
- then West on 106 towards Eminence.
- get back on MO19, this time back North, towards Salem.
- @ Salem, get on 68 up to St James.
- can there get on I-44 for the relaxing trip back home, passing through/by many other scenic sights along the way.
NOTE: the above is just a path... and a path is nothing more than a route to get you to a destination - what you desire to do along that path is up to you. Can verge here and there off and then back on, see this, see that... and there are many places to see/enjoy the beauty of the Ozarks / Missouri along that route. Of course, that is just one taste - there are many other places w/in MO that would be worthy... but this is just one suggestion.

Me, the following types of scenery are what interests me the most, given that this is my 'turf', my home, the areas that my heart bleeds for, and then hence why I'd recommend the above type of route:
Springs and Caves of Missouri - DNR
Missouri Springs - Eminence Missouri MO
Missouri Scenic Highway 19 driving guide
Southeast Region - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, DNR
St. Louis Region - Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites, DNR

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Thank you all so much for the valuable info.
We are driving from Illinois. This is an escape.
Never stepped foot in the area and didnt know where to really start looking.

Big Cedar Resort looks lovely. We are not interested in downtown Branson/shows. I understand the areas around it are very pretty.

We would love to see much of the natural beauty of the area, lakes,rivers,mountains,parks. We love to hike/bike.
I know there are many,so maybe some you consider "dont miss". See some nice towns too.We thought to stay in different places and take in more areas. Having never been, (shame on us, you are our next door neighbors) thought this way we could explore more. But, we are open minded and could park it for the whole time if we love the place and the location works. An indoor pool is the only must,(13 yr old son) Would love a peaceful,lovely lakefront,or place "up high" in the mountains.

Maybe one day of golf. ONE. 1. Unlike my guys,I have my limits with that.

Wouldnt mind a smaller motel. Maybe rent a boat for the day---or am I dreaming?
I read the average temp for April was 67, sounds like heaven but I understand from "luizianne", it aint necessarily so. Maybe we should push the trip back to early May to insure a better climate.
Again, thank you.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM

ShadowCaver, Thank you,lovely,beautiful, thats what I'm talkin' about-thats the ticket.
I do beleive my heart is begining to bleed.
We used to live in Oregon and do miss ''breathtaking'' sights.

Also, thanks so much for the links and path/route ideas, gives us some great ways to plan.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
If you go to Branson, there is only one place to stay imho

Branson Hotels | Branson, Missouri Resort & Spa | Chateau on the Lake in Branson, MO

Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
As much as I love Branson, it really is not very beautiful, in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, if it were me, I'd head over to Beaver Lake in Arkansas and stay somewhere around the Chain-O-Lakes or Eagle Rock. If you get the urge to eat out, you always have Eureka Springs close by, but it is really a beautiful area and accommodations are quite reasonable.

Other options would be around Norfolk or Bull Shoals in Arkansas. I love my own area but there is just too much development for my taste. At least for a vacation. I want to get AWAY from people when I am on vacation.

I also agree that May would be better than April. April *is* very rainy and not very green yet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Cool The Eye of the Beholder...

Beauty is, of course, different things to different people...

It really DOES depend on what you're looking for: upscale or down home? near shopping & dining or out where you can hear yourself think? There's lots of all of that in many parts of this great state, AND northern Arkansas for that matter...it just depends on what floats y'r boat...

As far as the Branson "area"...which includes Table Rock Lake 'n Lake Taneycomo 'n Bull Shoals Lake 'n places like Eagle Rock 'n Chain 'O Lakes 'n Blue Eye 'n Cape Fair 'n might even include Eureka Springs since it's only a 45-50 minute drive... I agree with above posters about Big Cedar Lodge & The Chateau on the Lake, however they are high end and there are lots of more modest stays around.

When I was checking out the area so long ago, I fell in love with Cape Fair! Terrific fishing, boating, good-but-not-white-linen dining, and really small town charm & friendly people. The first house I fell in love with "here" was a teeny old blue run down lakefront house that was for sale for about $90K......but that's another thread.

So to the OP I'd say...more thoughts about what you like...?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 PM

380 posts, read 963,082 times
If you're in the Eminence area ..........

Rocky Falls
Few places in the Ozarks provide a glimpse of earth’s turbulent past as well as Rocky Falls. The reddish-brown rock is rhyolite porphyry. It formed as molten rock deep within the earth flowed onto the surface thousands of years ago. Rocky Falls can be visited year round. It is located on Route NN, off Route H east of Eminence and Winona. It has a walking trail, bathrooms, picnic tables and fire grills.

Prairie Hollow Gorge

Prairie Hollow Gorge provides a classic example of an igneous gorge with sheer canyon walls, shut-ins, talus slopes and igneous glades. The surrounding forest is dominated by shortleaf pine and white oak. Within the gorge is an intermittent stream featuring deep pools, shut-ins and a gravel wash with large boulders—a great area to hike but climbing, camping, picnicking and open fires are prohibited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri