Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 03:42 PM

77 posts, read 238,159 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm just wondering where the best places to start looking are. We'll be moving within 60 days and I'm starting to panic. And that's not just because of the tornadoes! My husband just said we need something more then a basement because the whole house could collapse on top of the basement. Yikes! We felt terrible for the people of Dodge city when we heard the recent news of that tornadoe hitting them.
We've been city dwellers for so long and would love to live on some acreage with woods but not to far of a commute to downtown KC.
Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by jayhawks; 06-12-2007 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
Hi, I'm just wondering where the best places to start looking are. We'll be moving within 60 days and I'm starting to panic. And that's not just because of the tornadoes! My husband just said we need something more then a basement because the whole house could collapse on top of the basement. Yikes! We felt terrible for the people of Dodge city when we heard the recent news of that tornadoe hitting them.
We've been city dwellers for so long and would love to live on some acreage with woods but not to far of a commute to downtown KC.
Thanks a bunch.
Try looking in Cass County ( Raymore, Harrisonville, Pleasant Hill)

East of Lee's Summit, Jackson & Johnson Counties

Clay and Platte County, (Liberty, Smithville, Parkville, Gladestone)

Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
Hi there. I live in Cass County.
1. Rural Belton, heading south down Y highway
2. Raymore heading east on 58, or south on J highway
3. Pleasant Hill

Pleasant Hill is the farthest out. Belton or Raymore would be about a 45 min drive into downtown Kansas City in light traffic.

We live in Belton so, naturally, I am partial to it. We have a wonderful little main street with some nice antique shops, a local-family owned drug store, a good old-fashioned hamburger/malt shop joint, a wonderful tea room, a Christian book store, law offices, dentist, train rides, etc...The best place is the bulk herb store owned by our our local herbalist. She is a fantastic health rescource. The downtown merchants and the city also sponsor parades for St. Patrick's Day, Veterans' Day, etc. As well as the Christmas Tree Lighting, Old Car shows and a fall festival.

Belton is growing rapidly, however. In the last 8 years we have added Target, Home Depot, Kohl's, and a slew of boring chain restaurants. Office Depot, Starbucks, and some other retail chains are currently under construction. There is still acreage to be had outside the city limits with an easy drive to get the things you need.

As far as the city...We drive into KC (35 minutes) about 3-4 times a month to eat at a really good ethnic restaurant or go to the Nelson Atkins or the Plaza or Broadway Cafe in Westport. So it is easy for us to get our "city fix" and still enjoy life in a rural area.

Good Luck. If you have any questions feel free to ask I really think it is the best of both worlds.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:07 PM

Thank you kmflan! Typing one handed and holding baby...will look in to these areas when we visit, need to be moved in 52 days!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Thank you crashcop also...I keep hearing Liberty mentioned.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Try Clay and Cass counties in Missouri. Johnson County Kansas would likely be fairly expensive to find anything with acerage or woods. I would eliminate Platte County unless you like to live near coal power plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri