Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Dude..yes!! My biggest problem with MMA, besides all the quick, controversial stoppages and Dana "Don King" White. Best example of that was B.J. Penn and Jens Pulver. Jens basically said on TUF that he hated Penn's. guts. Then after Penn whips his a$$, he tells us how much he loves B.J. and thanks him for the beating, basically. While they are hugging all over each other. Made me want to puke. Or the guys who say they would rather fight their friends. I don't get that. That all being said...I LOVE MMA.....
dude, the guy wasnt even talking about the post-fight love - he's referring to the grappling aspect of MMA. he's one of those people who grew up thinking that wrestling (real wrestling) and grappling are gay. two guys humping each other. yeah, that guy wouldnt last 10 seconds against an amateur wrestler. ****ing idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I have to admit. The first time I saw UFC, I was very interested in it. I'm talking about UFC I, II, and III. This is when Royce Gracie won. It was different and a bit low-keyed. Certainly, not at all in the league of Boxing, but an interesting aversion. Now I'm just sick of it all. It seems like nothing but a bunch of rednecks and convicts swinging at each other like two amateurs only to end up on the ground wrestling. The ambiance of it has a plastic, cheap feel like Roller Derby or WWE. It's too gimmicky for me. I'm not a fan.

I read a headline as to whether this barbaric-looking Kimbo Slice was the next Mike Tyson. Well, let me be honest. Kimbo is nothing but a gimmick, a barbaric, beast-looking character fighting in a sport for grunts and wrestlers. He nor the sport will ever attain the level of class, sophistication, or status that is Boxing. I prefer "The Sweet Science."
Alexus,

1. you made this exact same thread a few weeks ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...-like-mma.html

so what is your deal? is this just an arguement that you enjoy having? i thought that it was, at the very least, made clear to you in the same thread that you started a few weeks ago that it is a faulty arguement to guage MMA and the UFC on Kimbo Slice. Kimbo Slice was never affiliated with the UFC, all of the MMA fans agreed that Kimbo, along with the Elite XC promotion were a gimmick (boxing promoters trying to get a piece of the MMA action). that was made clear. so, it makes no sense for you to make the same losing arguement now - other than you like having this losing arguement and you think that if you can convince enough lay-people that Kimbo Slice actually represents MMA, that lends you some validity.

you remind me of a politician going after an opponent by taking something said or done, way out of context, but hoping enough people will be uninformed enough to believe it.

2. you come off like an old kurmudgeon who is trying to defend the sport of boxing because you feel somehow threatened by MMA. some MMA fans are also boxing fans. some arent. but the ones who arent dont spend their time thinking about boxing. it seems like you spend a lot of time thinking about MMA. it also is evident that as much time as you spend thinking about MMA, you havent spent any time watching it. that goes for you and anyone else who describes it as boring, or two guys dry humping each other. clearly, you dont have any understanding of what MMA is. so Wrestling, Judo, Brazilian Jiujitsu, and other forms of grappling and martial arts somehow seem boring to you because you have zero understanding of what you are seeing. IMO, a boxing match is relatively boring (especially heavyweights) compared to an MMA match. a lot of time is spent clinching (or as some might put it - hugging each other). the ref breaks up the clench, and two seconds later theyre back in the clench. the cycle is repeated. and look. i'm not being partisan here. boxing is probably my second favorite sport. you may not have realized it, but boxing is very much incorperated into MMA. and i GUARANTEE you that on any UFC, WEC, MMA event, you are going to see way more knockouts than at any boxing event. it's not just chokes and joint locks.

3. as much as you profess to hate MMA, i guarantee you have not been paying any attention to it whatsoever. to describe it the way you have shows that you have contempt for it. to relate it in it's entirety to the rise and fall of Kimbo Slice [again] shows that you have less than the lowest common denominator's understanding of it. to make the exact same losing arguement [again] in more than one thread shows that you, on some level, fear that the sport of MMA is superior to boxing, in which you are emotionally invested, and are desperately seeking corroboration for reassurance.

dude, relax.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
dude, the guy wasnt even talking about the post-fight love - he's referring to the grappling aspect of MMA. he's one of those people who grew up thinking that wrestling (real wrestling) and grappling are gay. two guys humping each other. yeah, that guy wouldnt last 10 seconds against an amateur wrestler. ****ing idiots.
Oh, my mistake. He's one of those "wrestling is gay" guys, huh? Whatever, most fights go to the ground. I'd rather be gay, than beat up.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:19 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
^^^

Lots of people would rather get beat up LOLZ

Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
^^^

Well, actually. I'd rather get beat up too. LOL

Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 25,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
i can watch MMA for 10 minutes, but when they start hugging each other like f*ggots i just change the channel.
no biggie.
They don´t hug each other. They do ground and pound and try to do submissions. I have seen a lot of hugging in boxing. In boxing when they are tired they hold each other and start hugging.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
^^^

LOL I would rather be beat up than being gay.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Well, actually. I'd rather get beat up too. LOL
Seriously in a fight with no judge. I would much rather be knocked out from punches than having my arm broken or being choked.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Alexus,

1. you made this exact same thread a few weeks ago: https://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...-like-mma.html

so what is your deal? is this just an arguement that you enjoy having? i thought that it was, at the very least, made clear to you in the same thread that you started a few weeks ago that it is a faulty arguement to guage MMA and the UFC on Kimbo Slice. Kimbo Slice was never affiliated with the UFC, all of the MMA fans agreed that Kimbo, along with the Elite XC promotion were a gimmick (boxing promoters trying to get a piece of the MMA action). that was made clear. so, it makes no sense for you to make the same losing arguement now - other than you like having this losing arguement and you think that if you can convince enough lay-people that Kimbo Slice actually represents MMA, that lends you some validity.

you remind me of a politician going after an opponent by taking something said or done, way out of context, but hoping enough people will be uninformed enough to believe it.

2. you come off like an old kurmudgeon who is trying to defend the sport of boxing because you feel somehow threatened by MMA. some MMA fans are also boxing fans. some arent. but the ones who arent dont spend their time thinking about boxing. it seems like you spend a lot of time thinking about MMA. it also is evident that as much time as you spend thinking about MMA, you havent spent any time watching it. that goes for you and anyone else who describes it as boring, or two guys dry humping each other. clearly, you dont have any understanding of what MMA is. so Wrestling, Judo, Brazilian Jiujitsu, and other forms of grappling and martial arts somehow seem boring to you because you have zero understanding of what you are seeing. IMO, a boxing match is relatively boring (especially heavyweights) compared to an MMA match. a lot of time is spent clinching (or as some might put it - hugging each other). the ref breaks up the clench, and two seconds later theyre back in the clench. the cycle is repeated. and look. i'm not being partisan here. boxing is probably my second favorite sport. you may not have realized it, but boxing is very much incorperated into MMA. and i GUARANTEE you that on any UFC, WEC, MMA event, you are going to see way more knockouts than at any boxing event. it's not just chokes and joint locks.

3. as much as you profess to hate MMA, i guarantee you have not been paying any attention to it whatsoever. to describe it the way you have shows that you have contempt for it. to relate it in it's entirety to the rise and fall of Kimbo Slice [again] shows that you have less than the lowest common denominator's understanding of it. to make the exact same losing arguement [again] in more than one thread shows that you, on some level, fear that the sport of MMA is superior to boxing, in which you are emotionally invested, and are desperately seeking corroboration for reassurance.

dude, relax.
Yeah Kombo was overrated. He was like famous from his street fighting videos. He got knocked out by a smaller guy in his third(I think) fight in MMA.
Yup. MMA is not just about submissions. Guys gets knocked out by a knee, kick, punch or gets TKO from ground and pound or lose because they tapout.
If they are laying down and not doing much the ref break and makes them stand up.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Alexus,

1. you made this exact same thread .....
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm a hardcore boxing fan. I enjoy the hand-to-hand aspect of the sport and appreciate its rich and storied history. You guarantee that I'll see more knockouts at an MMA event? WHO THE HELL CARES? MMA is for grunts. I don't care for MMA for the reasons I've made clear.

The Sweet Science is where my preference is and will always be.

Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)