Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM

442 posts, read 827,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humacaena View Post
sk8t,

This lady is a single woman, has requested info on Fairhope, not Mobile, and it's obvious where she wants to live. As a woman, she'd be a lot safer in Fairhope, and her child would be in pretty good schools.
Re diversity, what is it you do not understand about our area. I am a minority(Hispanic), and have no problem living here. In case you have not noticed, our high school football teams are quite diverse, and these kids are not imported from Mobile. There are many cultural options here also. Fairhope has a very nice Museum, Art Center and many art related happenings. We have a nice group of Songwriters...and there is music in many of our local establishments almost every night.
87.15% White,
10.29% Black or African American,
0.58% Native American,
0.38% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander,
0.54% from other races, and
1.04% from two or more races.
1.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race

Baldwin County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That aint diversity.

As far as things to do and jobs,comparing Fairhope to Mobile is asinine. The whole eastern shore is just a bedroom community of Mobile. If you don't mind commuting across the bay everyday and can afford to live there then by all mean live there. There are plenty of good school in Mobile and the whole city is not some slum where she will get raped for walking down the wrong street like you make it out to be.

Kena, the choice is yours, but consider Mobile also. If you can find a decent job in Fairhope then go for it, otherwise that commute will be a terrible drag for a single mother, so check out the many safe areas of west Mobile and Midtown with good schools in both areas, Murphy, Baker, Davidson, and Leflore are great high schools and offer AP to IB (Murphy and maybe Baker) classes . Lots of opportunity as there are 4 hospitals and many smaller offices scattered about as well as other jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM

4,997 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Leflore also has a pre Nursing and law program...Many students who are taking pre nursing at leflore will be either accepted or well prepared for the Nursing program when they go to college.

Mobile county schools have been out performing Baldwin schools on an academic level as of latly but both sides have something to offer you.

Fairhope is a nice vibrant town but do`nt rule out Mobile either because there are some distcricts in Mobile that are just as vibrant if not maybe more.So check both sides out for your self and good luck.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 PM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
At no time I said that Mobile is a slum and that anyone will get raped walking down the street. You have made this a personal vendetta...not I. Crime statistics don't lie, and the Eastern Shore might be boring to some, but it is a safer environment than Mobile.Do you ever watch the news???

This lady asked specifically about Fairhope, and since I happen to live here, I have tried to answer her questions about Fairhope. You seem not to know much about our town, but are sure to put it down for some reason.

She lives in Northern California...as stated before, and might not be ready for all the "diversity" that seems so important to you.Your statistics are fine...but have you considered not for everyone? I moved here from Atlanta, and am happy as can be living in a quiet, family oriented community, vs a metropolis.

FYI, Baldwin schools rate higher than Mobile once you pass elementary grades...and Baldwin overall, have the highest scores in the whole state. It was in the paper in the last few days. And Faulkner Community college has a brand new school of nursing right in downtown Fairhope, a beautiful campus by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
87.15% White,
10.29% Black or African American,
0.58% Native American,
0.38% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander,
0.54% from other races, and
1.04% from two or more races.
1.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race

Baldwin County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That aint diversity.

As far as things to do and jobs,comparing Fairhope to Mobile is asinine. The whole eastern shore is just a bedroom community of Mobile. If you don't mind commuting across the bay everyday and can afford to live there then by all mean live there. There are plenty of good school in Mobile and the whole city is not some slum where she will get raped for walking down the wrong street like you make it out to be.

Kena, the choice is yours, but consider Mobile also. If you can find a decent job in Fairhope then go for it, otherwise that commute will be a terrible drag for a single mother, so check out the many safe areas of west Mobile and Midtown with good schools in both areas, Murphy, Baker, Davidson, and Leflore are great high schools and offer AP to IB (Murphy and maybe Baker) classes . Lots of opportunity as there are 4 hospitals and many smaller offices scattered about as well as other jobs.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Well the only outlier is Daphne Highschool the others are really no different from the top performing schools in Mobile and Mobile`s private schools were not included.

Again good luck with your choice I don`t think she could go wrong with either one.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 AM

143 posts, read 282,659 times
The poster asked about Fairhope. It's a nice town with a lot to offer. Mobile is nice too, I live in midtown. But give it a break, if the lady is interested in Fairhope then tell her about Fairhope...very quaint downtown, nice shops, nice waterfront with mature trees along the coast, socio-economically well off, clean, and quiet.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
The poster asked about Fairhope. It's a nice town with a lot to offer. Mobile is nice too, I live in midtown. But give it a break, if the lady is interested in Fairhope then tell her about Fairhope...very quaint downtown, nice shops, nice waterfront with mature trees along the coast, socio-economically well off, clean, and quiet.

I agree !

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM

432 posts, read 1,255,140 times
nuhall,
Thank you for understanding. It seems that some posters did not get it...what this lady wanted to know was about Fairhope....not Mobile. I also am taken back by being called prejudiced, when this person does not know me. I go by the reality of the crime stats, and why should that make me a racist? As I said, I am a minority myself, and resent the implications.

Yes, Fairhope is a nice community, and besides the quaint downtown, it has very good, safe areas with affordable housing, and not all white,rich people. When I lived in Atlanta(28 years), there was always a similar sentiment between the north suburbs, and south suburbs. Again, this is too familiar to me, and should not be conveyed to people wanting to come to our area. If I was interested in moving here, this attitude would drive me away for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post

Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM

139 posts, read 214,498 times
If you are looking to work in the medical field, you should try Mercy Medical they have facilities both in Daphne/Spanish Fort and Mobile, Baldwin county Mental health is also another good place! Also Alta Pointe which is in Mobile.... I strongly suggest that you apply for any hospital jobs now...Good luck....and welcome to the area!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena ceccon View Post
Thank you very much!!!! I just would hate to not find anything! and I am a single mom and a hard worker! It seems to be very hard to make it work here in northern cali! I hope I am making a good choice for my son and I!!!!!! Thank you!
It's a bad choice. Why in the world would anyone choose this area over anywhere in CA? Those eastern shore cities are expensive, and a single mother doing the kind of work you do wouldn't exactly be in line with everyone else there. It's a high income area. If you are looking for diversity, forget about it in fairhope. It is 90% white.

Not sure why anyone would across the country, to a worse area.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Yes Fairhope could be more expesnive but she is from Cali so I think she would fair well in Fairhope....Also I know of many California transplants in the Mobile area that love it here.They say Cali isn`t what it use to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area